Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Indiana that do not fit into any other Indiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Default Medical Care at RDC- Basic care?

I have a loved one at the RDC. I just saw a letter from him that said he needs something for his ears- like he has an earache that won't go away. He also said his bunkmate (?) has had an absessed infected tooth going on three days now. They have filled out some forms to get seen but nothing yet. The CO's just act indifferent or laugh.

I know its not a picnic but dont they get some kind of basic care? I cant imagine having a toothache and not getting it fixed.
Is there a system for sharing my concern for his well-being?
Can someone complain?
To whom?

I dont want to make trouble for him...he does that for himself.

Thanks

Last edited by PappyD; 01-21-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 AM

Wow, 87 views...
Well, he has been moved to the short term facility now. Should hear from him by phone soon I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyD View Post
I have a loved one at the RDC. I just saw a letter from him that said he needs something for his ears- like he has an earache that won't go away. He also said his bunkmate (?) has had an absessed infected tooth going on three days now. They have filled out some forms to get seen but nothing yet. The CO's just act indifferent or laugh.

I know its not a picnic but dont they get some kind of basic care? I cant imagine having a toothache and not getting it fixed.
Is there a system for sharing my concern for his well-being?
Can someone complain?
To whom?

I dont want to make trouble for him...he does that for himself.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 06:31 AM

Thanked 1,059 Times in 510 Posts

PappyD, I know it's frustrating. Rember that some of the views are people from other states that have no information or knowlege about ours to share, some are people that are not members so they cannot respond even if they have any.

The medical care in the system is slow. They have to fill out forms and request a visit to the Dr. Even then sometimes it takes awhile to see them and sometimes they have to fill out more than one medical request. Each time they do see medical unless they are considered chronic care, they get a co-pay. Chronic care would be someone with asthma, diabetes, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
waiting4Ro (01-26-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks. This is my first go around with doc other than a county jail. It is really frustrating. When I or my wife has called for information we get the runaround- as if we are all the "bad guys".

Now I'm told my son can't get access to his jpay funds for 7-10 working days. Jpay sez the money is there in 24 hours...

It's almost like this is part of the sentence- slow, agonizing, misinformation and confusion for all folks on the outside.

Amazing how everything is a profit center- phone system, icare packages, stamps.

We'll get through this though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrldy View Post
PappyD, I know it's frustrating. Rember that some of the views are people from other states that have no information or knowlege about ours to share, some are people that are not members so they cannot respond even if they have any.

The medical care in the system is slow. They have to fill out forms and request a visit to the Dr. Even then sometimes it takes awhile to see them and sometimes they have to fill out more than one medical request. Each time they do see medical unless they are considered chronic care, they get a co-pay. Chronic care would be someone with asthma, diabetes, etc.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 AM

Thanked 1,059 Times in 510 Posts

Pappy there has been a lot of information in here at various times on RDC but it is probably the hardest part of this. Putting money on commissary is ok and probably smart because when he actually gets to his home prison you can only put money on if you are on his visiting list. It takes a while to get the approval. He will send you the visiting forms, you have to send them out (be sure to attach a photo of your drivers license or it will come back to you and delay the approval process) then you need to send it back. The name of the lady you send it to will be on the bottom of the page. Once you are approved you can put money on for commissary again. Now on the subject of commissary, I don't believe they get to order from commissary while at RDC, but the money will follow him to his prison. It will take s few days-I think about a week.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrldy View Post
Pappy there has been a lot of information in here at various times on RDC but it is probably the hardest part of this. Putting money on commissary is ok and probably smart because when he actually gets to his home prison you can only put money on if you are on his visiting list. It takes a while to get the approval. He will send you the visiting forms, you have to send them out (be sure to attach a photo of your drivers license or it will come back to you and delay the approval process) then you need to send it back. The name of the lady you send it to will be on the bottom of the page. Once you are approved you can put money on for commissary again. Now on the subject of commissary, I don't believe they get to order from commissary while at RDC, but the money will follow him to his prison. It will take s few days-I think about a week.
My fiancee couldn't order commissary in RDC. But I'm not sure if that has anything to do with your Classification or not. He's at Miami now (Level III).

Pappy I COMPLETELY agree with you about the cost/confusion families suffer through while their loved ones are inside. One bit of advice though, DON'T use iCare! My fiancee said that for the $45 I spent, he could have gotten the same items off commissary for about $20. So now all I do is put money on his books through JPay...I will NEVER use iCare again.

"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."

Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 PM
buffett1997

I used to be a medical officer at RDC. I know it's frustrating for those who have people there, but there are a few things that can help you understand and not be as frustrated. Each day approximately 60-120 new people arrive at RDC, and between 10 and 50 leave each day. The capacity there is around 360, and it's always full. Now before any of these can be transferred out to their permanent facility, they all have to see the dr, see the counselor, get blood drawn, and about 3 other mandatory stops in order to be classified and sent out. Everyone sees medical staff within the first 2 days. Once this initial processing has been done, if they need to see the doctor again, they have to fill out a medical request form and these are gotten to as quickly as they can be. As for the dentist, he's only there about once every week or two because he is responsible for a total of about 5 facilities in the Indy area. So the dentist list will be quite backed up. As for officers laughing or ignoring requests, the truth is there really isn't anything we can do about it. Not one time did I ever receive a request from someone incarcerated there and not get them a request form or not pass it along to my supervisor. There are also quite a few people there who lie and bs their way around the system there just to get out of their cells. And this of course slows things down even more. RDC is also considered a maximum security facility so things are a lot harder there as far as being able to get out of their cells.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffett1997 For This Useful Post:
NBSmom (02-21-2012), roadiez (02-05-2012), the whole truth (09-08-2012)