Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of South Carolina.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:52 AM

my finace was just moved to evans 3 days ago i still don't know if i'm approved for visitation just yet. as i have found with scdc its a whole lot of waiting u have to do to find anything out.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:54 AM

It takes 4-6 weeks from the time that Cetnral Visitation receives your inmate visitation form. I called every day for 2 weeks until I found out that I was approved. They "supposedly" give the inmate a paper that says when you are approved, but my husband didn't find out until 2 weeks AFTER I had already started visitation.
You can call 803-896-1679 to find out if you have been approved. You will have to know the inmate number when you call. If they don't answer, leave a message and they will typically call you back within just a few hours.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkisep
It takes 4-6 weeks from the time that Cetnral Visitation receives your inmate visitation form. I called every day for 2 weeks until I found out that I was approved. They "supposedly" give the inmate a paper that says when you are approved, but my husband didn't find out until 2 weeks AFTER I had already started visitation.
You can call 803-896-1679 to find out if you have been approved. You will have to know the inmate number when you call. If they don't answer, leave a message and they will typically call you back within just a few hours.
thanks for the number nikki its been almost a month gonna call tomm to see if there is any news. thank you
Old 10-16-2006, 08:25 PM

i called that number today and found out i was approved for visitation. then the lady asked me where i got that number at all i would say was the internet lol. if all goes well i will be trying to go this sunday if he is allowed visitation that day i have to call evans tomm to find out when i can come. thanks for all the help
Old 11-03-2006, 08:15 PM

There is nothing nice about Evans. If you had a positive experience there it is unusual...Hateful is the best word you could use to discribe the personnel at Evans.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:55 PM
nut_sis

I have a brother there and he just got there last week. I don't know anything about this place but I never heard anything good from the people who've been there. If anyone could please tell me how I can send him things. He said he needs a walkman to watch t.v. but I don't know if I can send him one or will he hve to get it there. I need some serious help. He's my only brother and I need all the information I can get. I have a question do I need to get visitations forms done for my kids? Ages 8months,2yrs and 6yrs old. Thanks to any and everyone who can help!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:17 PM

I don't know anything about Evans but I know that in Perry (and it probably applies to all facilities), the inmate has to purchase the Walkman, you can not send one. They have to fill out some kind of form, they receive a receipt after the money is debited from their Cooper account *and I think they are about 30 bucks* and then they will get it whenever. It took my husband over a month to finally get his. The only thing that can be sent to SCDC institutions is books (and you have to get them from an authorized bookseller, such as Barnes and Noble), letters, and pictures. You can also order him a Christmas package (There is a thread about this.) You will have to put money in his account and he will have to purchase everything he needs from the canteen. You can send money through western union or the easy way, through the J-Pay website.

As for your children, every one (including children) MUST fill out a visitation form and be approved before being allowed to visit. You will have to get a long form birth certificate (available only at the main DHEC office in Columbia...You can no longer get these at local health departments) for each to be used as their identification. I also am not sure if any children other than the children of the inmate are allowed to visit. I believe I read somewhere that there are restrictions on this. You should check out the Department of Corrections Website. There, you will find tons of information on visitation, etc.

Hope I could be of some help to you. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm just a PM away
Old 11-16-2006, 08:23 PM

I just got this off the SCDC website...I thought I remembered seeing this....

5. Can children visit? Yes, children can visit but only those specified below. The only minors who will be considered for inclusion on an inmate's approved visiting list are the inmate's brothers and sisters, the inmate's children (to include adopted), stepchildren, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and step-grandchildren; as shown on the inmate's relative list or verified by certified long-form birth certificate. A parent or legal guardian must assist the child in completing the "Request for Visiting Privileges." A parent or legal guardian must sign this form, and a parent, legal guardian, or authorized adult must accompany the child during the entire visit. Nieces and nephews who are minors may be considered to visit, however, there are specific conditions which the inmate must meet in order to receive visits from nieces and nephews. Only the nieces and nephews of those inmates who meet ALL of the criteria listed below will be considered for addition to the respective visiting list:
  • Inmate must have been incarcerated for at least three (3) consecutive years.
  • Inmate may NOT have ever been convicted of a sex offense or disciplinary.
  • Inmate must have NO Major disciplinaries and/or NO More than two (2) minor disciplinary convictions within a three (3) year period.
  • Inmate must have been employed for a minimum of three (3) years.
  • The brother or sister, parent of the niece of nephew, must show on the inmate's relative screen and must submit a copy of the respective niece/nephew's long-form birth certificate for verification.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:15 PM
nut_sis

thanks alot you've been a great help. I already did a visitation form but I haven't heard anything yet and I did it last month sometime. He said he can have visits now but as I said I haven't gotten anything yet. I also need to know how do I find out if I was approved or wil they send me something b/c I don't want him to feel like I don't want to come. And how will I be able to pm u I am new at this.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:01 AM

You will have to call to find out if you have been approved. The number is 803-896-1679. I believe that every so often, they give inmates a list that says who is approved, but everytime my husband has gotten his, it has always been a week or two old, and more people have been approved than are on the list. So you will do better just to call and find out
Old 11-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Waiting 4 Kenny

Evans is a very rough place. My suggestion to anyone who has a loved one there is to have them transeferred. My man was there a couple of years ago and I thank God everyday he is out of there. I feel any institution is better than Evans.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Chris's mom

My experience with Evans has been ok. Medically we are having problems keeping my son out of the hospital because of his condition. But he has adjusted well to Evans with no problems so far.

We haven't had any problems with the officers, guards, or other inmates there. Now the nurses and doctors are a different story.

This is also the first prison he has ever been in, so I cant really compare Evans to another prison.

Good luck, I am at every Sat and Sun visitation. You will probably notice us, because my son is in a wheelchair and he and his brother are usually cutting up all the time.

I case you ddidn't know you are only allowed 8 visits per month.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:44 PM
B's Baby Girl For Life!

hello, my fiance is in evans, can anyone tell me the visiting times? because i called and they were so rude there i couldn't even understand them, thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasgirl4life
hello, my fiance is in evans, can anyone tell me the visiting times? because i called and they were so rude there i couldn't even understand them, thanks
i know the times are based on thier last names write your finace he can give u the exact times of the visitations some of the guards there can be a pain sometimes but you do run into those rare few that are more than willing to help you and answer your questions.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Chris's mom

If you would like you can PM your address and I will mail you a schedule for evans
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
My heart belongs to him..
Donation Award 

Question Help please!

My husband is once again getting transferred for the 5th time in 2 years! He is going to Evans and I would like to know any information from anyone about visitation and about how the other inmates and staff are to the visitors and inmates. Do they have the paykey? Will my paykey from Broad River work? Can we hold hands? Can he hold our 2 1/2 year old daughter? Do they have games and/or toys for the kids to play with? Is there a limit on the amount of people can come visit at once? Does anyone have a schedule of the visitation times? Please any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am from Lexington, SC...does anybody travel from Lexington or Columbia that maybe we can carpool? Please let me know. I am so thanful for this site because I hate SCDC this has been the worst 2 years of my life and I have 2 years and 4 months to go and then he will be home and I will tell them to kiss my you-know-what!

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Donation Award 

Exclamation Leaving 15 minutes early....

Okay everyone that goes to visit someone at Evans needs to either call central visitation or email them to complain about us having to leave 15 mintues early at EVERY visit and about them having count at 1:30 when visitation starts at 1:00! If we get enough people to complain maybe they will do something about it. Visitation is from 8-12 or 1-5 not 8-11:45 or 1-4:45!!!!!! That makes me SOOOO mad. Then they come on the loud speaker and tell everyone it is 10 minutes until visitation is over and to prepare to leave the visitation room, when actually it is 15 minutes till. Then, they don't even give you a chance to say goodbye before they are screaming for all the inmates to get against the back wall!!!! This is crazy We all need to complain to try to get something done about this!!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
'Hail to the Redskins'

There may be a reason why they do this. The last couple of times, it was done at Ridgeland as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Donation Award 

Yes, they have done it before at Ridgeland, but it was more like 5 minutes or something like that. I mean I am out to the car and leaving at 15 minutes till, so they are actually ending it sooner. And what would the reason be? It clearly states 8-12 and 1-5 it says nothing about leaving 15 minutes early!

Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Donation Award 

Question Evans CI...is anything wrong????

My husband is at Evans CI and he called me yesterday around 5:15PM after I got back from visiting him and he said he would call me back later and I haven't heard from him since then. He ALWAYS calls me, at least twice a day. He would NEVER not call me unless there was a REALLY good reason. I was worried so I called and asked them last night if any of the dorms was on lockdown, and they said no. I then asked them if the 6:30PM count had cleared and they said yes. Well I asked them to look and see if he was in lock-up for some reason and the lady told me to call back this morning and ask them because she couldn't tell me that. So, this morning I called back and after being transferred to a thousand different people this lady finally asked me his number and looked-it-up and told me he wasn't in lock-up and he was fine and she wasn't sure why he hadn't called me. He knows how I am and he knows how worried I would be and he would call if he could__I KNOW he would. I was wondering if anyone else had someone at Evans and if they knew if there was something wrong with the phones or is there something going on in the Santee A wing? I thought maybe they "deadlocked" his room, because he has told me how the CO's have done that to other people before and the lady said she didn't think so, but she didn't know. I also called Embarq and asked them what my account balance was to make SURE that I had money on the phone and of-course I did, I was just making SURE SURE SURE. It is driving me crazy and I am SOOOO worried about him. I even called the VINE phone number where you can find out the status of inmates in SCDC to see if they said he was still at Evans because someone else on here said that she called the number once and it said her husband was at an undisclosed place or something like that and come to find-out he was in the hospital. I am SOOOO worried and I am loosing my mind...if anyone knows anything PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM

I know how you feel. I am the same way about my son. Have you tried calling embarq and having them check out the phone? They can even tell you the last time he attempted to make a call.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 AM

My Husband Is In The "g" Dorm But When I Talk To Him I Can Have Him To Check It Out For You. What's His First And Last Name? Pm Me With The Rest Of The Information.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Donation Award 

Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for trying to find out information for me! I finally got to talk to him yesterday afternoon around 5:30PM. He said his dorm was on lock-down Sunday afternoon and part of the day on Monday because they were a little "out-of-hand" , but the TWO different women I spoke to told me that NONE of the dorms were on lock-down, so I did a WHOLE lot of worrying for NOTHING, but I am just glad he is okay and I appreciate all of the support from you guys!

Thanks!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Glenn's...Always

My husband just got transferred to Evans this past Monday and this is both of our first experience with prison and the whole system. I am going to visit him this Saturday and it will be the first time I have seen him in 2 months. I AM SO EXCITED! I am a little nervous about the visitation though. I am driving all the way from Columbia and I don't want anything to go wrong! I don't know what to expect at all but I know once our visits start it will have to make things easier to get through each day! Any incite will be great! THANKS!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:07 AM

Couple of pointers. Don't wear a white or sleeveless top. Wear only your wedding ring/diamond, watch and one set of earrings. Carefully note how much money you can bring in. Most places its $15 in ones or change. Be prepared to cry the first time you see him in his prison uniform. It will get easier - never easy, but easier. I know you are EXCITED!