Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of South Carolina.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:28 PM

My boyfriend is there and he says that it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. He says that it is really boring and that the food sucks. They are on lock down most of the time and leave their cells to eat and shower.....hang in there!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutedimples
My boyfriend is there and he says that it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. He says that it is really boring and that the food sucks. They are on lock down most of the time and leave their cells to eat and shower.....hang in there!
Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM
MichelleDB

My husband is also there. He's been there 3 weeks so far. He's called twice and wrote several times. He does say it sucks but I think mostly it is just boring. It's better they are there during the fall because I hear during the summer it is so hot it is unbearable, so I am thankful for that. but hang in there. I'm in this with you. My man still has 2 more trials to go to, so he still doesn't know how much time he's facing, so far he has 5 years.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:15 PM

Vons is right,he won't be there long.My son was there for a short time then sent to his destination.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:32 PM

My brother was there for about 3 weeks. They notifed him late at night that he was being moved. The only way I knew where he was, was by continuing to check the SCDC website under Inmate search. You can put in his name, and it will call up his location, and give other details about his conviction, etc. This is how I found out he was movedto McCormick.

Several things I learned the hard way may help you:

1. All monies that are sent to your loved one must go through the Cooper Trust Fund. Ask him to send you a copy of the deposit form. You must send a postal service money order. The first time you send it, it may take up to 2 weeks to post. If you send money, they will take 10% to help pay for the DNA test etc they give them which cost $250. The Cooper Trust Fund address is P.O. Box 102111 Columbia SC 29221-5011

2. Ask him to send you a form for phone privileges and visitation. The inmate must send these to you. Once you fill them out, you must be approved and then he can call you collect or you may be able to visit once he is in his permanent location. This may take weeks.

3. DO NOT send any printed information from the SCDC website to him. This is not allowed. They will mail back your entire letter and charge HIM the postage. If he needs to know information from it, cut and paste or summarize the info yourself.

4. You may send some regular internet material, but there is a current limit of 5 pages. If you exceed that, they will also mail the entire letter back to you and charge HIM the postage.

I have just been through all of this with my youngest brother. Good luck!

Marilyn
Old 11-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Default DNA Testing?

"If you send money, they will take 10% to help pay for the DNA test etc they give them which cost $250."

What exactly is this all about? What type of DNA testing are they doing? Is it to match their DNA against cold cases, etc. or something else?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:44 PM

Oh, by the way if you send a self addressed stamped envelope to the Cooper Trust Fund with your request they will send you a deposit slip which is SCDC 15-14 (Rev. March 2002). I have xeroxed more copies and send money monthly.

You cannot send stamps, envelopes etc or personal items. No mail may be sent to the Cooper Trust Fund address. It is strictly for sending postal service money orders.

Marilyn
Old 11-06-2005, 04:47 PM

I don't know any more details other than they DNA tested my brother at Kirkland and charged the money to him. How they get it back, is by taking 10% of what I send him monthly. My brother is in for a drug conviction first time. I am not sure what their policy is, but that is what I have learned in his case.

Marilyn
Old 11-06-2005, 05:14 PM

To get to the Inmate Search feature, go to the SCDC Home page.

www.doc.sc.gov
Old 11-07-2005, 11:38 AM
California Dreaming

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 1,474 Times in 750 Posts

My son has been at Kirkland since September,23rd. He now has his pin number for phone calls and once he is there for 30 days he is allowed visitors. I think I was told he is only allowed 1 two hour visit a week until he is transferred. he has been there his 30 days and after the run around I got my appointment to visit him the 18th! I can hardly contain my self. But through his letters and phone calls he seems to be doing OK just bored with being in a cell all the time. And to think he use to call home prison because of the resrictions I tried to put on him.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:39 PM

I'm still waiting to here something from my boyfriend. Tomorrow will be one week since he was sent to R&E at Kirkland. I mailed him a letter or Friday morning and I sent it express mail so it would get there as soon as possible.

It has now been 13 days since I have seen him, and I'm used to seeing him twice a week!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:16 PM

Hello Again,
My husband says, as the others have stated, he may not be there very long, he will process "into the system" and be assigned somewhere else. I don't know much about Kirkland, my husband says it isn't too bad, he should be okay there. I use the JPay System to send money, it is a lot easier that way I don't have to use stamps, money orders, checks, etc. Just a lot easier. If sent prior to 3:00p.m., he gets it the same day. Great way to send money to inmates.
Good luck

~Chil-fil
Old 11-08-2005, 06:46 AM

You guys are awesome!! I'm so worried about him...I recently recieved 2 letters from him this past week and he seems to be doing fine along w/ what his dad has told me! I was told by his mom that he cannot have any visitation the first month or two while he's at Kirkland which sucks, but I've already been 3 months without seeing him AT ALL!! I was going in to see him with his mom as his "stepsister" but that only worked for a couple months. This is really hard, but I'm sure I can make it through this and thanks to ya'll I know a lot more! Thank you so much!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:58 PM

I heard from my boyfriend today. He is doing OK. I feel so much better now even though I got bad news from his PO today.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:08 PM

They have now dropped the DNA fee to 5% for every $1 you send. I called not long ago and the girl said that they had so many complaints that they dropped it down.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:34 AM

Good luck to you Monique and MissHim. Everything will be ok. You'll be used to the way things are done very soon and you'll be "old hat" at this before you know it. HIV and other contagious inmates are housed at Broad River not Kirkland. I'm sure they pass through Kirkland like everyone else but their permanent housing is not Kirkland. There are 2 sides to Kirkland. One is R & E and one is permanent custody. One thing I strongly advise you on - TELL THE TRUTH on the visitation paper. I'm not sure about shock or other programs but in general girlfriends are allowed to visit. Besides, you don't want your boyfriend to have more grief on him because you slipped in for a visit. Of course your age may be an issue - if you are under 18. Still, I would think it would be better to go ahead and let him do what he needs to do and for you to wait a bit longer to see him than for your need to see him be satisfied but he get in trouble. The punishment always comes back on the inmate. The punishment could be denial of all visits and phone calls.

You are right, SCDCmom. I've noticed that the fee has dropped. They are making themselves quite a list aren't they? Oh well, just remember if they have the DNA it can prove someone innocent of a crime - not just guilty.

I use j-pay also, Chi-fil. The fees are steep but it's so convenient. It takes all of 30 seconds to send money once an account is set up. I know if I had to go get a money order from the post office (regular money orders WILL NOT be accepted), fill it out, go back home to get the deposit slip and address because knowing me I'd have forgotten to bring it with me and drive back to mail the money order my son would not get his money on a regular basis.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:48 PM

Default web site

i was wondering if anyone could tell me, if South Carolina had a web site so i could look an offender. I've been searching for a friend who is incarcereated in SC, but am having no luck. Please email me.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Donation Award 

For South Carolina Department of Corrections Inmate Search:

http://sword.doc.state.sc.us/incarce...arch/index.jsp

County jails have their own sites. You can usually go to the Sheriff's Department of the county and then to their detention center page to see if they have a search form. There is also vinelink: www.vinelink.com which includes a few SC county jails.

He's Home!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:46 PM

hello my name is kita and my friend just got sentenced with ten years. He has already been incarcerated for 7 months before they even sentence him and the sad part is they locked him up on word of mouth and then peolple just started snitching on him. We were told that he would be moved to south carolina to begin a drug program to knock off some of his time and i was wondering if anybody has any info on the jails in south carolina and the programs and just any info to help me better understand the system and what going on and whats going to happen next. please if anybody has any info will you please write back. thank you very much
Old 12-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Hi Kita. Welcome to PTO. Is you friend going through the SCDC or Federal Prison? A lot depends on that answer.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO, Kita. Has your friend been moved to SC yet?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellie
Thanks for the informatiion....I still want to know more from anyone who has a loved one at Kirkland or at Broad River(wher he may end up). Specifically about visitation
and what that is like and about prison routines. No letters yet....one phone call came
in. I had read that SO designation was spread around by prisoners whenever a
newbie comes in. Glad if that might not be true.
Please .....anyone.....give me information.'
hello everyone i would also like to know everything there is to know about kirkland my husband been ther for 1 week now havenot heard anything for him either he got 8 years he will do about 61/2 to 7 for drug charges
Old 01-15-2006, 05:17 PM

hello everyone i got a letter yesturday and my forms my husband is in kirkland he been there for a week now he said its not to bad letter was short but i was so glad to here from him he's in unit F3/107 if anyone has a love one in this unit please let me know it would be great to talk with you. angelamcgee
Old 03-14-2006, 08:50 AM

Question message to friend

hey- i an new to all this but have a question. is there anyone here that can give someone in kirkland a message? i dont want to get anyone in trouble but not sure if it would or not. i am writing letters to him at kirkland-but thought a little extra hello might be nice- and would make him wonder how i did it-...he is actually my ex-boyfriend but has become my best friend. thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 08:33 AM

My fiance is in F3-B/239 - so not too far....but not the same one i guess...he has been there for a week too...and I was wondering.... i was told at kirkland they only get visits during the weekdays? I hope not cause I cant take off work and that would suck. do you get contact visits at kirkland? I hope he gets moved soon.....OH and another thing....I heard that even if I deposited money in his account he cant use it for 30 days? I put 20 dollars in yesterday in hopes it was a tale..... so he could get letters and paper to write.....I am used to spending EVERYDAY everynight...every second with my baby...and it was a shock that all this happened.... we thought everything would be okay since he wasnt the dealer or the buyer.... and has never done coke....it makes me mad to think about it....and goes to show you ...guilty by association....it's wrong.