Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in New York should be posted here.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:37 PM

Default When will parole give him his stipulations? / Updated

Hello my man comes home in one month my question is when will parole give him his papers for his stipulations and my second question is his ex and him had problems in their past there is no order of protection in effect she had came to see him due to the children will they be able to correspond when he comes home was able to call him to while he was in there would his counselor let him no when he did his home plan
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2018, 07:15 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,355 Times in 16,290 Posts

I'm not familiar with NY, but here, My Mr was given his parole stipulations / restrictions at his first meeting with his PO after release. Both My Mr & his PO had to sign off on them.

There doesn't have to a no-contact or EPO for a parole officer to specify for a parolee not to have contact with someone. However, if there were no charges or court proceedings concerning "issues" between him & the ex, the PO may not be aware that there is a problem....but, I have to wonder if you have some fear of them getting back together I hope that doesn't happen, but it will be up to the PO to decide if they can have contact at all or not.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 PM

No there is no concern she is with someone I was just wondering they are Co parenting for the kids sake I would never come between that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ambermarshall11 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-05-2018), Sunnielg (10-06-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 08:46 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermarshall11 View Post
No there is no concern she is with someone I was just wondering they are Co parenting for the kids sake I would never come between that
Awww, good for them! Putting the kids first is something that many exes can't seem to do.

If there is no record of DV and/or they've both been through DV counseling, I wouldn't think the PO would deny contact....but every PO is different. Some are royal pains, by the book word for word with no wiggle room. Others are more relaxed & genuinely helpful.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-06-2018, 08:31 AM

When he walks out the door he’s handed his parole release papers and his personal property. He signs them approx a week before so he gets to read before he signs. He is handed them with his personal property, his check, and if necessary, his bus/train ticket (if transportation is available)...and a ride to the station(shortline, metro north) if he has no ride. That’s the reason why they might move him to a closer jail, a transit jail like Ulster, Wende, downstate, that is a more workable release. But like every move, no heads up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
maytayah (10-06-2018), nimuay (10-06-2018), patchouli (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Default Facility parole officer/Stipulations

Hello I hope you ladies can help me out I'm a little upset my man will be coming home soon Nov now my question is he got a copy of his stipulations from the Field Parole officer that he has to sign some of the stipulations are crazy now when he goes to see his regular parole officer can she change them or will they be the same please help
Old 10-06-2018, 08:52 AM

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,628 Posts

Due to the fact that he is in for a parole violation, they may be stricter in his requirements. Generally, they can't drive, cant drink, curfew, meetings, work and weekly check ins. Over time with good behavior, they may lighten up when he proves he is doing the right thing.

I believe they use a program called Compas that determines their level of threat to society. Then over time is it reevaluated.

Honestly, I dont think there really is a chance on fighting them. On parole, he is still state property. They can dictate whatever they want. Acceptance is best. Find ways to do what needs to be done, so you can out it behind you.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:56 AM

On the stipulations it says till you see your parole officer so does that mean that she can change his stipulations the prison parole officer isn't gonna be his parole officer it's just the one in there before their released the prison parole officer isnt his parole officer when he comes home he talked to her she told him he was okay they do that so the facility doesn't get sued

Last edited by ambermarshall11; 10-06-2018 at 09:36 AM..
Old 10-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,304 Times in 12,852 Posts

Those are questions for him to ask both parole officers. He will definitely be told all of his restrictions whether they come from one, or two POs.

Yes, some parole conditions seem crazy, but disregarding even the nuttiest of them will result in a quick return to prison on a PV. As long as he remains on parole, his life will be controlled by his PO.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,730 Times in 2,063 Posts

I've moved your thread to our NYS forums so that someone else in NY possibly dealing with the same issue will find this information too

Old 10-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Thank you
Old 10-06-2018, 11:48 AM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Quote:
On the stipulations it says till you see your parole officer so does that mean that she can change his stipulations the prison parole officer isn't gonna be his parole officer it's just the one in there before their released the prison parole officer isnt his parole officer when he comes home he talked to her she told him he was okay they do that so the facility doesn't get sued
Best guess, those are the basic stipulations that all inmates usually have to abide by after release. Yes, when he goes to see his PO after release, that PO can add to or lessen his stipulations. PO's have that leeway. Will his be added to or lessened? Don't know.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 11:51 AM

Oh okay so he brings the parole papers to parole can parole change his stipulations if they want to and if I come pick him up do i have to sign in to d o that or can be just come out and leave
Old 10-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Oh okay so he brings the parole papers to parole can parole change his stipulations if they want to and if I come pick him up do i have to sign in to d o that or can be just come out and leave
He was on parole before. I'm not sure anything will be that different from the last time. He should know the answers to all this.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:12 PM

Right but he's in a different facility Washington did it alot different then Livingston he did his 3 yr bid in Washington just a violation in Livingston thanks for the advice like i told him all he has to do is ask his counselor he will tell him everything he has that right they work with the facility parole officer
Old 10-06-2018, 03:15 PM

When I went to Washington to pick him up I had to show my license and sign him out I'm not sure if I have to do the same thing with Livingston I hate calling the facilitys sorry ladies if I upset you with these questions
Old 10-06-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
When I went to Washington to pick him up I had to show my license and sign him out I'm not sure if I have to do the same thing with Livingston I hate calling the facilitys sorry ladies if I upset you with these questions
You're anxious. Totally understandable. You do have time and sometimes prison specifics cannot he answered unless someone is on here whio has been released from that place.

Best bet is call or he needs to find out their release procedures.

Parole you wont know until he meets with them in person.

Too many variables and every situation is different. You wont get exact answers, which sucks.

Breathe! He is coming home and you'll figure it all out together. Dont put the weight of everything on your shoulders.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-07-2018), patchouli (10-06-2018), Sunnielg (10-06-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:34 PM

While you may hate calling the facility, you may want to do this to know if the tranfer him closer. When on draft they don't get a call, and he needs you to keep abreast of his location. But you can do I it close to his release date.
And let him prove himself to his PO...with good reporting and getting job, going to required after programs, POs reevaluate... But it takes time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
nimuay (10-08-2018), patchouli (10-08-2018)