Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics General discussion forum for the UK. Come in and discuss issues in the British justice/prison system as well as your own personal issues.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:27 AM

Default Hi from England

Has anybody got any knowledge of the length of crown trial on a not guilty plea ?also co-defendant is on the run
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2020, 04:47 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,136 Times in 13,835 Posts

I hope someone knows the answers.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:03 AM

Thanks
Old 08-20-2020, 05:46 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 12,232 Times in 5,115 Posts

Hi there I am in the UK. I do have some experience of the crown court service and so I can try and help but I am not a legal advocate.

With regards to the length of a crown court trial, if you are asking about how long before your case is heard? That depends as Covid 19 has led to a backlog of jury trials. Jury trials are back up and running but delays are inevitable. There are also Nightgale (temporary courts) to clear the backlog. Do however expect delays.

If you are asking about how long the actual trial will take that depends on the evidence being presented, the number of witnesses etc. normally expect a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

If the co defendant is on the run they will have jumped bail and therefore a bench warrant for their arrest will have been issued. If they are not apprehended before the trial the trial can take place in their absence although their barrister can argue not to proceed with the case until the defendant can be brought before the court, as the Barrister may not have recieved instruction.

The trial against defendants who have not absconded can continue. Its best to get the advice of legal counsel and defendants will be appointed legal counsel on legal aid if they cannot not afford to appoint their own private counsel.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-20-2020), Michele1000 (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 01:34 AM

The mention hearing is again on the 3rd september to see what if any evidence other than statements can be used ,ptph has been done so im assuming after the 3rd the trial date will be soon,co-defendant has never been arrested ,my boyfriend was arrested and held in magi cells and appeared in court the ne t day ,then remanded and sent to crown ,co-defendants wanted by the police
Do you know much about secondary liability ?bcos it all seems madness to me that the co-defendant is rumoured to of done it hence why he run ,my boyfriend wrongfully was with him and i dont know what happened but he just wouldnt go not guilty if it was him bcos hes not that stupid ,seems unfair all this secondary liability especialy when if found guilty hes looking at atleast 8 years and a life sentence is the maximum
Thank you for reply and help x
Old 08-22-2020, 09:55 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 12,232 Times in 5,115 Posts

Hi if the person on the run has not been interviewed and charged then they are not a co defendant. They cannot be a co defendant until they have been arrested and charged in connection with the offence. They are at present a person of interest and they are avoiding arrest. I assume there is a warrant for their arrest if they are believed to be involved in the offence.

The case against your loved one can progress without this other person being present. Its important that he speaks to his lawyer and gets advice on how to proceed.

Secondary liability , A secondary party (more commonly known as an accessory) is one who aids, abets, influences or procures (commonly referred to as assists or encourages) D1 to commit the substantive offence, without being a principal offender. However, a secondary party can be prosecuted and punished as if he were a principal offender this is part of the Accessories and Abettors Act 1861.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-22-2020)