Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM

I want to start this out by saying, with every post i read i get madder and madder, my husband has 10 years left, every day after work i come home and get on my computer and work my a** off, i write letter after letter, looking, hoping and praying. my question is this, there is so many of us, we can make a diffrance. I know that most of us in the pto are woman with familys to take care of, I live in florida and my husband is in va, I am willing to move to Va to save money, but it takes money to move. I just want everyone to know that if we make a stand together we can make things happen, i know my husband should not be were he is and i also know there is alot of people in the same place. who wants to make a stand with me ? I am willing to do what it takes for the world to see that i am not the only one wanting things to change. just think of it like this,there are over 200,000. men and woman in u.s prisons, they all have familys and friends, my God, what would people think to see over 600.000 people standing up for our loved ones? now that would be a site to see. do you think it would make the news? things would happen, people would talk and want to talk to us. what happen when woman made a stand to vote? we got to vote, lets make a stand for our loved ones.....
Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 PM
my love

Question In South Carolina, I need a pro bono lawyer....

I need a lawyer fast. My husband who is wrongfully accused and sent to prison for life, has been cut up and attacked by 15 or so other inmates. All he was doing was coming back from the store where he bought 30$ worth of food, and someone jumped him. Now, I am trying to get him out of that prison and into another one. First of all he doesn't belong there or any prison, but, he needs to stay alive. I just need a lawyer and I don't have much money, I really don't have any money.
If anyone can help me, that would be great. If anyone can tell me about the protective custody situation, that would be better. Likfe, why do you have to wait longer to see him/talk to him/ or anything. It doesn't make sense at all.
Why do inmates jump each other? What is the point?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,088 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooty
I need a lawyer fast. My husband who is wrongfully accused and sent to prison for life, has been cut up and attacked by 15 or so other inmates. All he was doing was coming back from the store where he bought 30$ worth of food, and someone jumped him. Now, I am trying to get him out of that prison and into another one. First of all he doesn't belong there or any prison, but, he needs to stay alive. I just need a lawyer and I don't have much money, I really don't have any money.
If anyone can help me, that would be great. If anyone can tell me about the protective custody situation, that would be better. Likfe, why do you have to wait longer to see him/talk to him/ or anything. It doesn't make sense at all.
Why do inmates jump each other? What is the point?
I am very sorry that your husband who is innocent is caught up in the system and he was jumped. Lawyers indeed are expensive. Since he is innocent though, you may want to contact "The Innocence Project". They have helped many.

As far as what is the point of beating up another inmate, there is no point, it is just that other inmates are venting their frustrations out towards another human being. They may have been jealous that he got canteen or may have it in for him for another reason.

As far as PC (Protective Custody), there are many reasons for one to be there. In fact some inmates prefer it. My hubby was there by choice. Alot of inmates will go there who had employment in the legal profession such as a policeman, a lawyer, sheriff, etc. Alot of sex offenders will go there for the extra protection they feel they need.
Many "snitches" will seek the PC unit, as you can well imagine. Sometimes the facility itself will transfer an inmate to that unit if they feel their life is in danger.

While PC is suppose to offer extra protection, it doesn't always. There are no guarantees in prison.

Hoping for the best for you both. Never give up hope. There is always hope.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Account Closed

I am looking for a pro bono help for someone incarcerated in TX, a gang leader who says he was wrongfully convicted of a murder, set up by other gang members when he wanted to disolve the gang. He was a very public figure, interviewed by the media a lot and is very intelligent and practically a paralegal himself. He probably needs a private investigator more than a lawyer at this point.

Anyone know of any recourse? Anyone aiding Hispanics?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Head over heals

Exclamation Help in Los Angeles

I am looking for an attorney for myself in the los angeles area in california. my fiance is already in prison and i am now being charged with his crime. i didnt do it. i am looking for any resources for inexpensive/probono attroneys who can help me. i just feel like the system is trying to screw me and i dont know what to do. does anyone know of or have contact information for someone who could help? it is urgent. thanks

He's finally Home! 18 months and counting.....
Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Head over heals

I just posted a question on this thread and have been looking around on the internet. i found this through the state bar association that has links by state of referral agencies for bro bono/free legal help. there is a lot of info here, and it was helpful to me. just wanted to share it with the rest of you

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/...lhelp/home.cfm

He's finally Home! 18 months and counting.....
Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Default For you Retired-2

It sounds like you know a lot about the system. I am 21 years old and I know very little about it. I am very desperate for some advice on writing a letter of modification to the judge for my father whom is incarcerated. I read a reply you had sent to someone and I could draw some ideas off of that, but hers was not the same subject matter. My father is nearing the end of his long stay in prison, his release date is Aug 08, he has been in since Aug 04. He is going to try to get out a little more earlier...start house arrest, or go to a half way house. He asked me to help write a letter to the judge asking this request. Do you have any ideas? Is there anything specific I should say in the letter or mention. I am sorry to bother you, I am very desperate for help!!!!!! I did not know how to type a personal message...sorry.
-Ashley
Old 06-07-2007, 09:11 PM

i'm with you, but i'm a lot older. age doesn't matter. my husband is incarcerated under the habitual offender act in alabama and i'm desperate for help on pro bono, how to write senators, governors, hell, i don't care who, just somebody who will help. he is a non-violent offender until this last offense. people all around him are getting out, but i have no money or the no how to get him out. please help, somebody.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:28 PM

Hi svnnh,
I came across this attorney in some of my searches.
Equal Justice Initiative of AL
Bryan Stevenson
334-269-1803
Montgomery, AL 36104
I do not know anything about the firm, but the name has popped up several times in my searches. It dosen't hurt to talk to them. Let me know if this is helpful. Best of luck
South1
Old 06-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,304 Posts

Bryan Stevenson is one of the most respected criminal lawyers in the US. His group has very specific parameters for the types of cases they deal with. If your case is accepted by them, you can't do any better.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 AM

the pro bono for Texas only handles civil cases.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Rob's Queen Bee

Does anyone know of any pro bono attorneys that handle criminal cases for the state of Virginia? We reside in Maryland however, the state of VA (Feds) brought on the charges. My man was tried and sentenced in Virginia. Does anyone know if we can get it transferred to the state of Maryland. Reason being that he does reside and is a legal resident of Maryland. I know nothing about VA and its legislative chain of command. However this is a federal case held in the VA. Hope I explained this to where it makes since.

Thanks

:love: True Love Always & Forever! :love:
Old 09-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Caveman & Wendy 4/Life

Red face Can You Help..

Does anyone know of a attorney that will either do pro bono or represent us in a 3 strike case writ if the research is done? Me and 3 others are doing all the researching and readings and when the time comes we need someone to represent my husband..The reason of course that we are doing the research is because thats where it cost the most..Can anyone help..
Old 10-27-2007, 05:22 PM

Looking for pro-bono help in Baton Rouge, La. for a custody and back child support case. Son is incarcerated in Texas but the child support is in Louisiana. Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 09:08 PM

Default California legal help

Im new here-My husband was arrested late October for rape,The sex was consentual and we can prove it.We just dont have the money for an attorney.We are young and have a child together.I know him having sex with her was wrong but I must stand by him in the fact that he is being charged with something he did NOT do.I really need any kind of legal help I can get in Northern california(209 area)Id really appreciate anything.We only have til dec 7th.My baby needs his daddy back
Old 11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned

Default Missing my buckaroo

I was wondering i wanted to talk to someone(attorney) For my hubby on his behalf of a early release.. he only has to do 10 -12 months
But i would rather see him a half way house...
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPREAIATED
Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
David's Mom

Hello - How do I find out about pro bono assistance in Missouri? Tami
Old 12-25-2007, 11:52 PM
he is the love of my life

does anyone know of someone in california for a 3 striker? i have been contacting innocence project and just people in general trying to find a way to get him out. there's no dna or new evidence, just a crappy trial. any help will be greatfully appreciated.
thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 12:22 AM

Default po bono in Texas

Anyone know of anyone in Lubbock or Wichita Falls probono that would help my baby get out 2008 parole
Old 12-31-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Mr. Robert C. Johns P.C.

I can help in Michigan, Florida, Illinois and Ohio. I am not able to actively participate in trial but one of my constituents serves when I am prevented. I will help if the inmate is able to type and properly complete his/her own forms, can pay all filing fees, and has a clear cut case (to be determined by me) of gross negligence or injustice. I also will help with serious issues with internal prison policy infractions (real not perceived and NO religious infringement please). If you know someone who meets these guidelines than feel free to write and give me the pertinent information and I will contact you once I peruse the facts of the case. Robert C. Johns and Associates P.O. Box 92 East Tawas, MI, 48730.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Donation Award 

I know there are so many people looking for legal help for a Death Row inmate but I want to take each and every chance. My man is on Texas Death Row and he is wrongfully convicted for murder. His attorney isn`t allowed to be an attorney anymore, but he is allowed to finish my mans case. He doesn`t do anything to help him though. Right now we have hired an investigator to get all the evidences we need but he urgently needs a new attorney! Where can we get help in Texas? Who is interested in his case? He is not innocent, but wrongfully convicted. This will cost him his life...

FOR MY FRIEND MARK
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. you are free now Honey
Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 PM

I and my honey live in Mn however, he is being sent to Leavenworth Kansas prison camp. I am wondering if we need to find a pro bono in mn or Kansas now? Marie
Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 AM

LEGAL SERVICES OF NEW JERSEY
100 Metroplex Drive, Plainfield Avenue, Suite 402
PO Box 1357
Edison New Jersey, 08818-1357
Tel: 908 - 572 - 9100

Is this the same as a public defender?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Sorry to post again but im seeking a criminal defense attorney for my husband in New Jersey, He's being charged with 7 counts of armed robbery, but for 5 of the apparent charges we were in the hospital on those dates and can prove it. The police decided since hes a tall white male to charge him with all related offenses that occured around the same time. I really want to speed up this trial so he can come home, sooner than later I really need the help with my son, and he needs his father.Anyone know of good defense lawyers who would let me pay monthly? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 AM

In California
350 Cedar Street
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 525-1485
fax: (619) 615-1443
Justin Brooks Project Director and Institute Professor jbrooks@cwsl.edu
Kimberly Hernandez, Program Manager khernandez@cwsl.edu