Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 04-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,088 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritdreamer
Yatahe - Hello everyone,
I am desperately trying to find legal assistance for my beautiful husband Red Hawk. We have been fighting to prove his Actual Innocence for five years. I think we may have contacted everyone there is to contact, but please if you know of anyone that may even point us in the right direction you shall make this wee heart smile
Since we began our five year fight we have realised just how many wrongly accused inmates there are in prisons all over USA and I think that is why it is so difficult to get free legal assistance.
Unfortunately, neither I nor Red Hawk have any financial resources to pay for an attorney. My husband has studied law every day he has been locked away.... almost 9 years now. He has written his own appeals and Habeas Corpus documents... He is awesome how hard he fights - but the authorities fight back harder....
Please, any little thing shall help us.
Pilamaya ye - thank you
Spirit Dreamer
If there is any possible DNA evidence in the case my advice to you would be to contact the Innocence Project. They really are a fine group all over the United States.

Good luck to you both.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2006, 09:50 PM
RE' is loving Charles

Anyone have any other places that could help in Arkansas?? My man is serving a life sentence, but not life without. He has been in for 15 years for a crime he did not do, he was there but didn't do. He was 16 years old when he went behind the walls.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:26 PM

In my opinion only,and from experience,The Ohio public defenders not only dont care but dont do thier job at all.We have used 2 for my Son and beleave me,got shafted from both.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 PM
in love

Post Money And Legal Situation

HELLO TO WHO EVER READS THIS. I AM MARRIED TO A MAN THAT HAS BEEN PUT AWAY FOR 18YRS. FOR JUST BEING AT THE SCENE. AFTER ALL WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH ALL THE APPEALS HAVE BEEN TURNED DOWN. NOW WE ARE FACING HABEUS COR PUS AND THERE ARE NOT MANY LAWYERS THAT HANDLE THOSE TYPE OF CASES. AND IF THEY DO THEY WANT 10,000 TO 35,000 THOUSANDS $$$$#. WHO HAS THAT TYPE OF MONEY!!!!! I WE HAVE THREE CHILDREN TOGTHER I WORK 12HRS DAYS ALMOST EVERYDAY TO TAKE CARE OF HIM AND THE CHILDREN. SO NOW I NEED HELP MY SELF. WHO DO I GO TO FOR HELP. THE GREAT NEWS IS I LIVE IN RICHMOND, VIRGINIA!!HA!HA! SO IF ANY BODY CAN HELP ME PLEASE DO SO. AND THANK YOU FOR READING MY MESSAGE. IWILL KEEP LOOKING UNTIL I FIND SOMEBODY.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Banned

Hi. Does anyone have info on a ProBono atty that can help with a Federal Case? My guy is in Indiana but the case is in Northern Iowa and he had horrible representation and the govt. breached their plea agreement. He's just filed an appeal but he's doing it himself. We really need someone dedicated and caring to help us get his sentence reduced. One of the convictions should be thrown out completely because of the breach of plea.
ANy help would be appreciated.

C
Old 06-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Jason's angel in waiting

I need to find a good pro bono laywer that is willing to take on the State of Michigan, a township and the county that arrested my fiance for a false parole violation. His ex-wife beat him and they sent him to county and held him there for a month on an a&b domestic while he was on parole then his parole officer violated him and ent him bback to prison for this charge. When he seen the Parole Refocation Board they recommended that in for 6 months and when the decisson came back from the board they told Jason to max out which is like 5 months from now, but we need to find a laywer that is willing to take on this case for false arrest and false inprisonment due to the fact that Jason never commited the violation. If anyone knows of a good probono laywer in Mid-Michigan it would be a great help
Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Donation Award 

Default NH Pro Bono Information

I was just reading through this list and noted that the information you have for NH is not accurate. The NH Bar Association runs the Pro Bono Program. The Bar Association is in the process of moving to 2 Pillsbury Street Suite 300 in Concord. It is my understanding that they will be closed until June 12 while processing the move. Here is the information from www.nhbar.org regarding the Pro Bono Program, Free Legal Advice and Lawyer Referrals.

THE PRO BONO PROGRAM

Who Qualifies for Free Services?
If you are low-income and need a lawyer, the Pro Bono Referral Program may be able to help. Pro Bono links people with incomes at or below 125% of federal poverty guidelines with volunteer attorneys who provide representation at no charge.
Pro Bono attorneys only handle civil (non-criminal) cases. The types of legal accepted include: custody, divorce, bankruptcy, debt collection, landlord-tenant matters and other non-fee-generating matters.

How to Apply
To receive help through Pro Bono, call the Legal Advice & Referral Center (LARC) at (800) 639-5290 or (603) 224-3333 or visit their Web site at: http://www.larcnh.org/. LARC is a federally funded non-profit organization that provides information, advice and referrals to eligible low-income people. LARC staff will ask for information about your income and expenses to see if you qualify.

The Pro Bono Link
Depending on the legal matter, LARC staff will provide information and/or advice about your problem. If you need a lawyer to represent you, your case may be sent to the Pro Bono Referral Program of the NH Bar Association.

Locating an Attorney
Once your case is received from LARC, the Pro Bono staff will try to locate an attorney in your area to represent you. This may take anywhere from several days to several months, depending upon the complexity of your case and the availability of the volunteer attorneys in your area.

The Client's Responsibility
Once you are linked with an attorney, Pro Bono will monitor your case through its conclusion. During this time, you must notify Pro Bono if your income changes to ensure you still qualify for free services.
While the services of Pro Bono attorneys are free, they are not responsible for "out-of-pocket" expenses incurred in your case. These include long-distance phone calls, copying costs, and other costs associated with your case. These expenses are your responsibility.

LawLine

Volunteer attorneys are available to answer your legal questions through LawLine, the Bar's free telephone legal advice service. LawLine is held on the SECOND Wednesday of each month from 6:00 p.m. ~ 8:00 p.m. To reach LawLine, call the NH Bar Association (toll free) at (800) 868-1212.
LawLine Dates for 2006:

Wednesday, June 14, 2006
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Wednesday, August 9, 2006
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Wednesday, November 8, 2006
Wednesday, December 13, 200

Lawyer Referral Services

No matter what your legal problem, we are here to help!
Lawyer Referral Service: (603) 229-0002
NH Bar Association main phone: (603) 224-6942
For e-mail referrals: lrsreferral@nhbar.org

Lawyer Referral Service hours
(temporary change in hours until further notice):
Monday ~ Thursday:
9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Angry Nevada attorney needed

My boyfriend is in NV and is being denied medical treatment. We need to find an attorney that will help with the civil case against the state. He has filed grievances and at first they told him they didn't have treatment and now they say he doesn't qualify for the treatment. I need some help.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Ronnies Girl

Looking for pro bono help in Oklahoma, My husband is trying to exhaust all his appeals and is ready to file a 1983 with the county court but we need legal representation fast. His hand has been broken and he was paraded through the prison naked while female guards and female employees were brought in to watch. This is only the tip of a massive iceberg. Any help out there please answer here or email aaceco@yahoo.comThank You
Old 07-09-2006, 01:27 PM

Im looking for a PRO BONO lawyer for a friend that is N E C C. in Mountain City TN.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
WAITING 4 MY BLESSING..

IM LOOKING 4 A PRO BONO LAWYER 4 MY HUSBAND THAT IS IN CALIFORNIA....
Loving My Hispanic Man Club #15
Old 07-18-2006, 10:40 PM

RE: Denial of medical treatment

Check out the American Cibil Liberties Union ACLU They will overview cases and plead cases that are in clear violation of civil liberties.

Otherwise have you tried petitioning the warden of the facility or contacting members of your legislature?

Be sure he has followed the internal grievance procedure at the facility to a "T" and has copies of all his cop outs. That is the only proof you have that attempts for appropriate medical care have been made.

Also check the US Department of Justice website and search on it for prisoner rights; also search the state department of justice or contact the attorney general's office for guidance in pursuing this.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Ronnies Girl

Red face Pro Bono

Thank you wjr557. I have made notes and I am on it . Much of what you said we are already doing. My husband has almost exhausted his remedies and will file his 1983 in the county court where we are incarcerated. We just need legal help. There is much more than medical malpractice involved and his cell partners case needs to be filed with my husbands because they were attacked at the same time and by the same staff. Thanks again. Later.
HUGS
Old 08-07-2006, 10:20 PM

Has anyone used the sentencing consultant that is advertised at the front of the Prison Talk Opening its called National Prison Sentencing Consultants, My husband does not want me to get ripped off trying to defend some in correct things in our sentencing. JUST CURIOUS his fee is 1500 750 is returnable if he can not reduce our sentence or so he says henbce the distrust!!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:42 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

Most law firms do a certain amount of pro bono work each year--state bar associations tend to encourage this rather strongly. How one receives free legal services, I truly don't know, but it couldn't hurt to go to someone who does not charge for an initial consultation and just lay everything before them. The worst they can say is no--and don't be afraid to aim high. Many prestigious firms like to take on pro bono cases so that they can talk about how much they do for the community.

At least some states have a Volunteer Attorney Association or something of the sort (not to be confused with Legal Aid, which is a completely separate entity). You may be able to find the one for your state online; they often have a waiting list so the sooner you get your name in the hat, the better.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 08-07-2006, 11:47 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

Oh, neglected to add that you probably need something along the lines of a Civil Rights attorney as opposed to a Criminal Defense lawyer.

One other possible step would be to contact the Civil Rights Office of the Justice Department and ask them to start an investigation into whether a prisoner's civil rights have been violated. Provide them with EVERYTHING you have--it will be regarded as confidential attorney-client material. They will conduct an investigation (often perfunctory, but one never knows) and if they find reason to do so, will file a lawsuit in Federal court on your behalf to get the mistreatment stopped and possibly compensatory damages as well.

More often than not, just receiving the notification that they are being investigated can be enough to get an institution to behave itself.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 08-08-2006, 02:08 AM
He's my heart and soul

Default re refused medical care

If he is in the California prison system here is what you do. Go to the website of the institution where he in incarcerated at, look for the "OMBUDSMAN" link. They are prison advocates and they get the job done. They get in there and go to bat for your inmate. Email them with specifics and they will get something done about it. The only thing is the prison will not be happy about it and he may catch flack from it but, he will get what he needs out of it. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,304 Posts

what kind of things do you want to correct? most things cannot be changed AFter the sentencing. If you want to pursue post-conviction relief, you will need a licensed federal attorney, which i don't believe is the case with the consultants you mentioned.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:44 PM

Pro Bono Attorneys in Florida are required by the Florida Bar to do Pro Bono cases every year . But they do not have to be criminal cases. An adoption for a friend , will , etc.... And always beware there is usually an agenda if they do any crimianl cases.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:41 PM

Default pro bono lawyers in california

Does anybody know of any pro bono attorneys in California???
Any info. will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Jeremiah 29:11

my qustion with a pro bono att is do u have to have some kindof sob story or it be a race issue???? I mean we were just wronglly accused....arrested on very little....do you think we could even get a pro bono????
Old 12-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Distressed Wife

Ohio Legal Assistance Foundation
42 E. Gay St.
Columbus, Ohio 43215
(614) 752-8919
Old 12-04-2006, 02:42 PM

I need someone close to home. Nacogdoches, Tyler, Lufkin, or Houston, etc. Can anyone help? I've already spent the only money I had (selling jewelry) which was over $10 grand and there just isn't anymore. Anything would help for my son.

Gayle
Old 12-16-2006, 06:40 PM

thank you for all that info i needed. it took a while but it was worth the wait
Old 01-03-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Pro Bono Lawyer

MY FINANCE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER AND IF IT WASN'T FOR THE NURSES AT HIS FACILITY IN NEW YORK HE WOULD HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED EARLIER. HOWEVER THEY DID NOT BELEIVE ANYTHING WAS WRONG WITH HIM AND KEPT TELLING HIM THAT. SO NOW 5 MONTHS LATER AFTER LOSING 45LBS (3-5 LBS A WEEK) FOR 2 MONTHS HE WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH STOMACH CANCER. I WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS A LAWYER IN NEW YORK THAT COULD HELP HIM MAYBE SEE IF HE HAS A CASE. I DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD BE MALPRACTICE BUT I'M QUITE SURE IT HAS TO BE SOMETHING. I AM SO MAD ABOUT THIS I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO? PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE. THANK YOU.