Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 07-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

Not having received a call back, I called again today and spoke to them. The firm does do pro bono work but not to people who just call in, but thru contacts they get from Legal Aide. I told them I did have a contact, that I got them from this site and they said they've been trying to get removed because people have been calling and they've had to reject them. They basically are only interested in helping you if Legal Aide refers you to them. I told them I'd let the Administrator here know that they want to be taken off the list.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Here is the firm I'm talking about:

Stroock, Stroock & Lavan, LLP
180 Maiden Lane
New York, NY 10038
phone: 212-806-5400
fax: 212-806-6006
Web Site: www.stroock.com
no eMail listed

Robert Lewin is on vacation right now, I asked to speak with someone who works in the pro bono section, and I was transfered to a nice lady who relayed this all to me this morning.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Led by the Great Spirit.

Default I have learned........

The word pro bono does not have to appear before anyone's name. Many attorney's will seriously consider a strong wrongful conviction case, if you can get the information to them. Get the information to them either e-mail, if you know it goes directly to the attorney, or thru the postal service, I suggest. For large organizations or anyone you know gets a large volume of e-mail, I would go postal, because e-mails will get piled up.

I have got our info to a couple of the top attorneys, in the country, already. One went e-mail directly to the attorney, the other was carried by a .37 cent stamp. I still like, the written word and it is working for me, so far. I am presently going crazy waiting, for our attorney of record to contact one of these attorneys, in regards to the possible use of DNA testing, in our case.

I would not make phone calls in regards to an innocence case. You may loose the chance, to say only one simple thing. But, that may be the one thing that would convince the person, who you are talking to that your case is an act of injutice. A busy attorney can get rid of you, too easily on the phone. They are more likely to read your letter when they are not so pressed, for time.

I recommend that you know your case as well as you can. I still have alot to learn, but I can speak of missing witnesses, screwed up evidence, etc., well enough to get attention and then refer, whoever I am speaking to, to our attorney of record, at the Representation Project and let her speak legal language. I realize most do not have that luxury, so get organized. There are places on-line that will clue you into what questions can be asked and those that should be anaswered. You can learn what old evidence to re-examine and what new evidence to look for. Far more than DNA can get a case overturned. Learn the game.

When you write you do not have to sound like an attorney, but make certain you include all relevant information and speak clearly. Try to explain the things that show best that there has been a wrongful conviction and/or miscarriage of justice. If your not a strong writer, get the help of a friend. Anyone, who can write a good essay can explain it well enough, it will be read and understood.

There are legal professionals out there, who will commit themselves to maybe one pro bono case in a lifetime. The only reason may be that it hit homes with them, for a personal reason. You do not know, if yours is that one case, unless you ask.

So, try everyone, who is qualified, but research thier work and make certain they are qualified. Whoever you choose or who chooses you, in the end, never let go of the ball, for a single minute. Your life hangs in the balance, not thiers. So, stay on top of things. Even the best attorneys are not foul proof.

You are going to need to waste alot of stamps trust me. I should get frequent flier miles, thru the post office. I like using the mail, though. I know the letter will almost certainly hit the desk, in front of the person it is adressed to. I save the phone calls, for after we have our second attorney and I, only need a question answered. There is too much to say on the phone, right now. And we have the shortest death penalty trial, in U.S. history. You guys certainly have too much to say, for a 10 minute call, to cover it.

The mail will be slower."Hurry up and wait." I laughed when Eldon, first said that to me. I say it continually to myself, now. A wait of 3 weeks, for a reply, is not unusual. Do not get discouraged. These guys are busy. And Do Not Give Up! I have been rejected by one attorney, at a large firm, but when I contacted another there, I was amazed at the possibilities.

Something that I just learned is, do not risk rejection, when you have awhile, before services are absolutely required. Be sure to tell whoever you speak to, if they have months before you would need them. An attorney may reject you for lack of time, now. But, if they know they have 6 months or a year, may be able to consider your case, to take on at a later date.

I research newspaper articles looking for the guys that take the cases of the wrongfully convicted, more than I do anything else. We are looking for the guys that defend justice and believe in humanity. This will not be menioned in a phone book, but it often is featured in the papers. Look anywhere a lawyer may be allowed to come from and practice in your area. As far as I know, a lawyer can request to take a case anywhere, if they believe in it enough.

And beware of pro bono lawyers,who are forced to accept the work. Make sure the person believes, in the service they are donating and are not unhappily forced into it, by thier firm or the system. A pro bono attorney that resents the job and does not care about the client, could be a disaster.

If you have a capital case, you are likely looking for a firm, with mega bucks to back you up. You will need a firm that can afford things like innocence phase investigators, testing and other mitigation experts. Hit all the big ones. If you have appeals in process, along with your letter, I would suggest you mail a copy ,of the appeals, all thousand pages, if that is what it is.

That second attorney that I wrote is to get a letter, from our attorney of record and a full copy of our appeals, soon. I have not gave up on his helping us. I did not realize I needed to say, we may have 2 years, before he would need to be really devoted, to our case. He said he does not have the time, now.

Never Say Never! And Never Take No For an Answer! These are my mottos. There will be many ups and downs, in searching for help. Most likely, many more rejections than possibilities.

I made up my mind that, If It Feels Right, Do It! Even the places that say they can not help may be able to offer a referral. I pester all. I do not discriminate. The worst that I will do is make them waste a sheet of paper and a stamp to tell me, they can not take on our case. If we loose our battle, I will say I tried it all and be honest, when I do. I have to, because my husband faces execution, for a crime he did not commit.

Giving Up is Not an Option! I warn all, there are moments that I am so angry that I could scream. I live on SSI and I am up against the wealth of the state. I made the comparison to my husband, that this is like fighting a dragon, armed with only a butter knife. But, I told him that I do know even if you are bloody, at the end of the battle, if you can stay on your feet and keep poking at the beast. It may take awhile, but sooner or later you will hit a weak spot.

We are fighting a beast, find your faith and hold on for dear life. Depend on the hard head that your spouse or child accuses you of having to get you thru, because you will have to be determined. You will need it, before you get thru the system. I hope the things that I am learning will help some of you, truly.

If you are just starting, in Arizona, on a capital case contact me, if you want. I have alot of addresses, for the area. I am really interested in other wrongful convictions out of Phoenix, as well. I will try to help anyone that feels overwhelmed, if I can.

God bless you all and give you strength...........

Last edited by Eldon's wife; 07-23-2005 at 01:45 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eldon's wife For This Useful Post:
Eternally (10-23-2008), kiddsgirl4life (11-16-2009), kyi kyi (09-12-2011), SentencingGuru (07-22-2014)
Old 07-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,304 Posts

Eldlon's wife: You give excellent advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
SentencingGuru (07-22-2014)
Old 08-13-2005, 12:02 PM

Default High Desert State Prison loved one needs help

my Boyfriend was brutely attacked by gang members at Salinas Valley SP. he was put in adminstrative Segregration for protection. While being attacked the CO on duty observed it all without pushing the button to get assistance ,nor did he attempt to stop the assault. The CO apologized to my Loved One and simply said he was afraid himself .. On form CDC 114-D
ADMINSTRATIVE SEGREGATION UNIT PLACEMENT NOTICE. It states the above in no uncertain terms. not to mention my Boyfirend was physically injured during the altercation from the three gang members.
what did happen was he was transferred to High Desert one of the most troublesome prisons in California .
1. Nothing was done in regards to his assault by SVSP,THOUGH he suffered physical injuries,
2. he lost his level status in his transfer to High Desert
3. His money on the SVSP books did not follow him to High Desert
4. HIs family visitation did not follow him ..
and numerous other infractions.
I am new to all of this and need help in finding an attorney to assist him in getting the CDC to be responsible for his injuries and his lost of level status. please anyone that can assist me response. while the wound is fresh !!!Roseygirl822000
Old 08-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Still waiting :-)!!!

Red face Pro Bono Help In Texas ???

If anyone has any information on Pro Bono for the state of Texas, please let me know. My husband is at the Robertson Unit in Abilene Texas and he was mis trialed and I need help on trying to reduce his sentence if possible. His current sentence is 50 years (eligible for parole in half) he has been locked up for the past 5 years already and his attorney admitted to having done stuff wrong on his trial. I hope someone has some information that will be usefull to me inorder to help my husband. Thanks

petesluvlegirl

WE WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THIS TOGETHER ONE DAY AT A TIME!!

The Following User Says Thank You to petesluvlegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Still waiting :-)!!!

Default Have You Heard Of Anyone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by babieboo
I CONTACTED THE TEXAS PRO BONO ATTORNEY LISTED ON THIS THREAD AND THEY SAID THEY DO NOT HANDLE CRIMINAL CASES. SO I AM LOOKING FOR SOME HELP WITH FINDING A TEXAS PRO BONO ATTORNEY THAT DOES HANDLE CRIMINAL CASES.
I ALSO AM LOOKING FOR PRO BONO ATTORNEYS IN THE STATE OF TEXAS. HAVE YOU FOUND ANYONE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

petesluvlegirl

WE WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THIS TOGETHER ONE DAY AT A TIME!!

The Following User Says Thank You to petesluvlegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 AM

The attorney Fulbright and Jaworski posted here does not do crimminial . Can you please help me find a pro bono attorney my friend is in the allred unit in Iowa Park Tx

Last edited by fcasey; 08-14-2005 at 04:44 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fcasey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2005, 03:26 AM

i am still looking for a pro bono attorney in texas the one listed in the thread does not handle criminal cases. My friend is in the allred unit in iowa park texas .any information
would be greatly appericated
The Following User Says Thank You to fcasey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2005, 09:26 PM

Can anyone give me information on a pro bono attorney that handles Federal cases in California??????????
The Following User Says Thank You to VanillaKimmy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2005, 01:10 PM

someone may have already posted this but.. in INDIANA, por bono lawyers dont do criminal cases. i dont know if its liek that in all states.. I tried to look it up for my brother, but indiana doesn't do pro bono cases for criminal cases.
The Following User Says Thank You to grreneyes19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2005, 05:27 PM

Does ant one know of one that is in Ohio
The Following User Says Thank You to lexy6869 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2005, 02:46 PM

you can do a search on the internet just typing in por bono lawyers in (whatever area) or look up legal aid in your area. thats for people who cant afford a lawyer and stuff. sorry i cant be of more help. good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to grreneyes19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2005, 01:26 AM
Alabama needs HELP!

Default Help Alabama

My fiance' is wrongfully convicted, I have paperwork I have seen, he is poor and white and you don't stand a chance if you are black or poor and white! Please, PLEASE help my fiance' and others!! Judges can over ride a jury here, his attorney WITH HELD evidence from the jury, critical evidence! He worked for the proscuters office for 7 years....Alabama is the fasting growing state with death row convictions, these prosecuters and the good 'ole boy network needs to stop! Isn't a human life worth it???? We desperately need help!!! PLEASE! Rex is no killer and he is not alone!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Karen2luv For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2005, 02:19 PM

I am in Florida, but looking for an attorney for an appeal in a federal case. Any suggestions. The paid attorney we spent all of our money on was horrible and now cannot afford a new one. Help!
The Following User Says Thank You to somissingmylove For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2006, 02:00 AM

If anyone knows a Pro Bono Attorney I have an inmate that was involved in a very high profile case featured by American Justice, and American Justice has promised to do a follow up show on this case as soon as this inmate retains counsel. Anyone interested in the case (Attorneys) please PM me. If anyone on this thread knows any NC pro bono attorneys please let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 04:40 PM
LoViNg HiM TiLl.....

Default California???

ANY INFO FOR PRO BONO LAWYERS IN SOUTHERN CALI?? OR ANY LEGAL HELP ?? PLEASE HELP! THANKS! TAKE CARE!

YoUr ThE ReAsOn I BeLiEvE In LoVe!
The Following User Says Thank You to FlOwSLaDy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2006, 10:25 PM
waitn' 4 luv of my life

Here is the Publice Defender for Ulster County

Andrew Kossover, Esq.
Ulster County Public Defender
Kingston, New York
(845) 340-3930

MISSING MY SOULMATE CLUB #16
STRONG ENOUGH CLUB #90
Old 01-25-2006, 09:39 AM

Default question??

Okay.....My fiance was suppose to got a court appointed attourney....bc he couldn't afford one...she was soo bad!! Like you don't even know... She told him that he could plea out...ya know just say guilty and they would give him 3-5 years...so he did it when he was up there and they gave him 7-14. she said she must have misunderstood. she was soo bad...like he would have went to trial for that long, ya know?? So she ended up quiting....being a lawyer all together plus she admitted that she messed up so tony was appointed another lawyer...well we wanted to file something since she mis informed him and she admitted to misinforming him...but ya knwo what this new lawyer wont' get back to us for anything...he called me like once and its been about 7 months.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:22 PM

In Kansas, the legal aid is not free.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:40 AM
...and the winds blew!

Default Pro Bono Lawyers

This one has a link for "Prisoner's Rights" issues!

http://www.probono.net/index.cfm

http://www.legal-aid.org/supportDocu...ID=19&catid=45

Last edited by whitewolf2751; 02-09-2006 at 05:43 AM..
Old 02-26-2006, 03:42 AM

Default Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired-13
This Is For California~ Attorney Charles Carbone, He Is A Prisoners
Best Friend. He Currently Is On Vacation But Will Be Back In His
Office On Feb.1,04. He Is A Sliding Fee Schedule Attorney, Has Worked With Many Inmates And There Families, Pelican Bay, San Quentin To Name 2. His Phone # Is 415-531-1980 Or Fax To 415-885-4810. Hope This Helps!!!!
HAS HE HEPL YOU? YOU CAN SEND YOUR RESPOND TO email removed per policy - please PM member

Last edited by Renee; 04-26-2013 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Removed email
Old 02-26-2006, 03:48 AM

Default legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikess
Ken I would like very much to have that info as well

Linda
I would like for you to send im the infor. Please PM me, i need it bad.
thank you so much

Last edited by babygirl350; 04-10-2006 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: personal email addy removed by moderator
Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 PM
ready 4 a change

Is there any one out there who can help me. My boyfriend committed a crime in Florida back in 1994 but he was sentenced under the 1995 guidelines instead of the 1994 guidelines. Because if this, He had to do 6 years mandatory before starting on the bulk of his sentence. If he had been sentenced right the first time he would be home right now. Now we are trying to get an attorney so we can get his case back in court for everything to be corrected. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 AM
angel12569
Donation Award 

does anyone know an attorney who is willing to take a case of police brutality. Everyone says my husband should sue. He did run from the police and took them on a high speed chase, but when they caught him they beat him so bad that he they took him to the hospital. My husband is bipolar. The judge who saw him the following day was even appalled at his condition and said to make sure he got medical attention. This happened last April, and I am told he has up to three years to file a suit, since the troopers were involved also. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I spoke to a few lawyers and they said the cops could say he resisted arrest, but even so, I don't think they should have beat him so badly, knocking his teeth out and stuff. Thanks again.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:32 AM

Default Free Legal Assistance in Florida

Yatahe - Hello everyone,
I am desperately trying to find legal assistance for my beautiful husband Red Hawk. We have been fighting to prove his Actual Innocence for five years. I think we may have contacted everyone there is to contact, but please if you know of anyone that may even point us in the right direction you shall make this wee heart smile
Since we began our five year fight we have realised just how many wrongly accused inmates there are in prisons all over USA and I think that is why it is so difficult to get free legal assistance.
Unfortunately, neither I nor Red Hawk have any financial resources to pay for an attorney. My husband has studied law every day he has been locked away.... almost 9 years now. He has written his own appeals and Habeas Corpus documents... He is awesome how hard he fights - but the authorities fight back harder....
Please, any little thing shall help us.
Pilamaya ye - thank you
Spirit Dreamer
The Following User Says Thank You to spiritdreamer For This Useful Post:
BB_BB (06-09-2015)