Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 AM

Default How many plea bargins are offered? (federal)

We took a plea because they dropped 10 counts to 3 and the attorney said there were going to be no more offers! Even handed a letter from the prosecutor. Soooo scared we took it rather than face trial facing many many years. Ppl in prison are saying he has a lying attorney and they always offer more pleas. Is this true? He has hard concrete evidence against me for the crime.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3krty View Post
We took a plea because they dropped 10 counts to 3 and the attorney said there were going to be no more offers! Even handed a letter from the prosecutor. Soooo scared we took it rather than face trial facing many many years. Ppl in prison are saying he has a lying attorney and they always offer more pleas. Is this true? He has hard concrete evidence against me for the crime.
In my experience, the federal plea bargain process is much different than on the State level. On the State level, you may receive multiple plea offers with the best one being right before trial. On the Federal level, it is more of a negotiation process on the plea agreement, and if the parties do not come to terms, then you are most likely going to court. You may receive an additional plea bargain offer at a later date from the prosecutor, but it will be worse than the first, and not a better offer like you would receive in State.

What you described is exactly how the system is set to operate. Most convictions come from scaring people into plea agreements, but you have to look at the facts of the case that only you know... If you are guilty, you are better off taking the plea agreement instead of paying a much bigger penalty by going to court. If you are innocent, then you have a much harder decision to make.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burntbean For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-13-2012), Here4Us (04-15-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 AM

Burnt bean is correct. they gave me one option to take a plea by a specified date accepting a charge that didnt have a manditory min.Or dont take it and get indicted on charges that carry 4 times as much time as what they were offering with a 15 year manditory min.It would be no 2nd offers,it was take it or go to trial. I know i was guilty so i took it. with good time im only going to have to do 3 1/2 years.thats way better than 15year min +........peace
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funbag For This Useful Post:
burntbean (04-13-2012), fbopnomore (04-13-2012), Here4Us (04-15-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 PM

Thank you!! It makes me feel good about the attorney. We don't know so we hired ppl to assist us. I learn so much from the website and other ppls reality. I'm very thankful for answers. Sentencing is one month away. We continue to be strong and pray each day!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to <3krty For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-15-2012), Here4Us (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3krty View Post
Thank you!! It makes me feel good about the attorney. We don't know so we hired ppl to assist us. I learn so much from the website and other ppls reality. I'm very thankful for answers. Sentencing is one month away. We continue to be strong and pray each day!
I remember after I signed my plea bargain, that I was always second guessing and running "what if's" in my head.... A lot of people on this site told me to let it go... that I've made my decision and it's time to move on to the next part of this ordeal. It was good advice.

The sentencing phase is very hard to get through, but soon it too will pass and you will only have the designation of where you will serve and the "time" to deal with.

Good Luck and make sure to keep posting so we know what is happening to you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burntbean For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-15-2012), Here4Us (04-15-2012), wellgetthru (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,934 Times in 4,392 Posts

It can vary. Just read an article about a federal inmate who turned down 3 plea offers before going to trial. Then he lost at trial and got hammered. My husband took a plea offer, then the judge didn't abide by it, so my husband withdrew his plea. The prosecutor did not offer another one. He went to trial, lost, and got hammered at sentencing.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:38 PM

Good luck to you and your family. My husband took the deal, too. Too scary going to trial. His sentencing is May 31.

Last edited by wellgetthru; 04-15-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 01:46 AM

Thank you! It's been difficult and our journey is far far from over! I will post again with the outcome. Just had interview with probation. Appears to have went well. It's out of my hands and I have to just pray.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to <3krty For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-16-2012), Willstickbyher (05-13-2012)