Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:40 PM

Question Contact vs general visits in Texas TDCJ

ok, i have been through this plenty of times with my previous 2 husbands BUT it has been some years since i have dealt with having a man in prison. i have a boyfriend who is looking at 20 years+ and while i am at a place in my life that i am ok in dealing with this, my man concern is this: without being married and not being ready to marry, has the rules changed in the texas prisons as far as regards to contact visits versus regular visits? i am praying and hoping that when he catches chain that i will be able to sit across a table from him. . . please any insight as to what i am lookin at for visits. . . i have contacted some of the prisons and they told me that the rules have recently changed over the past year and that we shoud still be able to get contact visits as long as he is not in any type of trouble? can you all give me examples of your visits and which prisons you have dealt with. . . .TIA. . . . worried girl i just dont wanna be sitting behind glass for the next few years until we decide what we are doing. . .
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2016, 03:48 PM
TDCJ hand

Thanked 1,371 Times in 746 Posts

Same rules with the same warden's discretion exceptions regarding contact elegibility
Old 01-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,173 Posts

Nothing has changed that I know of except the ability to request contact visits if you were common law married.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:39 AM

Hello My fiance recently got incarcerated, he has been there for 7 months now. When he went through intake he put me down as his wife. They want proof, whether it be a common law marriage or an actual marriage, they want documentation. We do not get contact visits, we have to talk to each other on a phone, behind a glass window. Until we prove that I am his wife, they have me listed as just a friend. We were already engaged before he went in and fully intended to wait until he got out to have a wedding and get married. But these last 7 months, not being able to even hold each others hand or breathe the same air.....it's killing us. So, we are going to go ahead and get married. Good news is, an inmate used to have to have someone stand in for them to say there vows and only marry by proxy and not allowed to be there. But, a law passed in Texas that all parties must be present in a marital ceremony. So, even though it is in the visitation room on a week day and date that TDCJ chooses, we get to say our vows to each other and kiss and hug at the "ceremony" lol. Anyhow, sorry I rambled on.....lol. But, there's your answer
Old 01-28-2016, 06:37 AM

Thanked 11,053 Times in 5,988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyprice77 View Post
Hello My fiance recently got incarcerated, he has been there for 7 months now. When he went through intake he put me down as his wife. They want proof, whether it be a common law marriage or an actual marriage, they want documentation. We do not get contact visits, we have to talk to each other on a phone, behind a glass window. Until we prove that I am his wife, they have me listed as just a friend. We were already engaged before he went in and fully intended to wait until he got out to have a wedding and get married. But these last 7 months, not being able to even hold each others hand or breathe the same air.....it's killing us. So, we are going to go ahead and get married. Good news is, an inmate used to have to have someone stand in for them to say there vows and only marry by proxy and not allowed to be there. But, a law passed in Texas that all parties must be present in a marital ceremony. So, even though it is in the visitation room on a week day and date that TDCJ chooses, we get to say our vows to each other and kiss and hug at the "ceremony" lol. Anyhow, sorry I rambled on.....lol. But, there's your answer
By him lying, he is at risk of losing time and status through the disciplinary process. And yes, MANY offenders go through disciplinary as a result of lying about the visitation list at intake...
Old 01-28-2016, 09:30 AM

Depending on how long your fiance has left, you might not want to poke the bear on the issue of contact visits. He put you down as his wife on intake, and they asked for proof which you did not supply. Now asking to hold a wedding in TDCJ will light the red flag on fire that you were never married.

Just a warning that it could mean disciplinary action like CenTexLyn stated...and that action could be you being removed from his visitation list all together. They may overlook it, and they may not.

Proceed with caution for sure...