Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeWrangler View Post
My guy is going to be moved (don't know the exact protocol), but this is his second time, and both times he was in SQ then moved. I guess due to prison overcrowding, it is taking longer for him to be moved. He should normally have been moved by now, but he will be there probably 2 more months.
Average time he's spent in SQ reception each time?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjk View Post
Average time he's spent in SQ reception each time?
Last time (the first time) it was about 6 weeks, so he was thinking it would be the same. It has been about 7 weeks now, and he is expecting 2 more months.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrapeWrangler For This Useful Post:
gavi408 (06-23-2018)
Old 03-30-2016, 01:29 PM

Does anyone know if there's a phone number I can call to find out how much money I can send at a time to someone? I tried SQ general number but I cant get through.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 PM

Default Questions about reception at San Quentin

Hi my boyfriend just started reception, I guess fights keep breaking out and they dont get to go to store for a month. He is wanting me to send stamps pens paper cards stuff he can trade for soups. I have no idea how much of this stuff is allowed the cards someone was saying to print pictures on card paper like roses or hearts etc and he can sell them or trade for more food than just a regular card u buy in the store?? I dont know about any of this new at all this ?????/
Old 06-10-2016, 12:37 AM

Hi- my boyfriend did reception in SQ. I used to send him paper, a book of 20 stamps, 20 stamp envelopes, and 2 pens. The time he was there, he only asked for those things. it'll def help him out to get himself some stuff cause it took a whole for my boyfriend to finally be able to go to the store. Hope I was a bit of a help and good luck!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejg View Post
Hi my boyfriend just started reception, I guess fights keep breaking out and they dont get to go to store for a month. He is wanting me to send stamps pens paper cards stuff he can trade for soups. I have no idea how much of this stuff is allowed the cards someone was saying to print pictures on card paper like roses or hearts etc and he can sell them or trade for more food than just a regular card u buy in the store?? I dont know about any of this new at all this ?????/
Hello,

You can send cards bought at the store. I would stay away from glitter and objects ... You can send paper I think a ream . Got to a dollar tree and buy 2 of those lines paper it can be yellow or white and send. The maximum stamps is 40. You can get the envelopes at dollar tree too and put the stamps on them and add his info on one envelope ...you can send pictures. Two pens... That's about it.. Hope it helps... He will need those stamped envelopes no telling how long he'll be able to go to a state. My cousin was in their for 4 months and he finally went... Good luck
Old 08-15-2016, 05:28 PM

Default Husband still hasn't been seen by counselor in reception....

Hi I wasn't sure which thread to add my question to. My husband has been in reception at San Quentin since June 1. He told me in his letters that the guys that got there the same time as he did, as in they were on the same bus from county, has all seen the counselor and have given their release dates and all that. My question is does anyone know what number to call or who to speak to in regards to my husbands status? Like I know I won't be able to find out his release date but I just wanted to call and kinda like have them look into his case and maybe that will make his counselor go and talk to him. High hopes I know but I hate not knowing whats going on and reading how stressed he is about waiting to just speak to his counselor stresses me out too. So it would be greatly appreciated if anyone can give me any kind of info to help us get a hold of someone at the prison so he can see his counselor. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areighana View Post
Hi I wasn't sure which thread to add my question to. My husband has been in reception at San Quentin since June 1. He told me in his letters that the guys that got there the same time as he did, as in they were on the same bus from county, has all seen the counselor and have given their release dates and all that. My question is does anyone know what number to call or who to speak to in regards to my husbands status? Like I know I won't be able to find out his release date but I just wanted to call and kinda like have them look into his case and maybe that will make his counselor go and talk to him. High hopes I know but I hate not knowing whats going on and reading how stressed he is about waiting to just speak to his counselor stresses me out too. So it would be greatly appreciated if anyone can give me any kind of info to help us get a hold of someone at the prison so he can see his counselor. Thank you.
My husband went through the same thing. He was the last to be seen with the group that he arrived with. However he was seen on the 45th day.. I am not sure how long your hubby is doing but he noticed that those that had longer sentences were seen before him. He only had 4 months left on his sentence when he got to SQ. So he did all his time in Reception. You can call SQ and ask for records, I guess it depends who answers cause the first time I called they advised me of his projected release date just the month and year, but other times they would not. If not ask them who his counselor is and their ext.. Try to call between 7-9am that is when I was able to get a hold of them.Hope this helps.. and good luck to you both...
The Following User Says Thank You to MRS.GARZAT For This Useful Post:
Areighana (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS.GARZAT View Post
My husband went through the same thing. He was the last to be seen with the group that he arrived with. However he was seen on the 45th day.. I am not sure how long your hubby is doing but he noticed that those that had longer sentences were seen before him. He only had 4 months left on his sentence when he got to SQ. So he did all his time in Reception. You can call SQ and ask for records, I guess it depends who answers cause the first time I called they advised me of his projected release date just the month and year, but other times they would not. If not ask them who his counselor is and their ext.. Try to call between 7-9am that is when I was able to get a hold of them.Hope this helps.. and good luck to you both...
Oh Okay thank you. I will try calling records tomorrow morning. My husband took 32 months with half time and he has like nearly a year credit for time served in county so I thought he was basically gonna have to do only a couple months there at San Quentin. I don't really understand the whole sentencing and time served credit. Only what he tries to explain to me in his letters. I know who his counselor is but I'm not sure if the extension I have for him that I got off of the directory on here is correct because no matter what time I call or how many times I try I always get his answering machine which is always full. This is all so confusing and frustrating. I'm so glad there's this site to help answer questions and ease my mind. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areighana View Post
Oh Okay thank you. I will try calling records tomorrow morning. My husband took 32 months with half time and he has like nearly a year credit for time served in county so I thought he was basically gonna have to do only a couple months there at San Quentin. I don't really understand the whole sentencing and time served credit. Only what he tries to explain to me in his letters. I know who his counselor is but I'm not sure if the extension I have for him that I got off of the directory on here is correct because no matter what time I call or how many times I try I always get his answering machine which is always full. This is all so confusing and frustrating. I'm so glad there's this site to help answer questions and ease my mind. Thanks again.

The this is how have understood the time/sentencing with half time applied.

32 months=992 days
Time served, you said roughly a year so lets just say 320 days served.
320 + good credit 320=640 days
992-640=352 days
Half of 352=176 days
So he should be out in roughly 5 months. Hope that makes sense..
Like I said that is not very long so he will probably just stay in reception which kinda sucks, cause no phone calls. You can visit but that is behind glass... My hubby was there 4 1/2 months, and I was not planning to visit but I decided to 2 weeks before his release and was very happy I did.. just to her his voice was great... They are in their cell 23 hours a day, so I would send him copies of word searches(like 6)to help pass the time...
The Following User Says Thank You to MRS.GARZAT For This Useful Post:
Areighana (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS.GARZAT View Post
The this is how have understood the time/sentencing with half time applied.

32 months=992 days
Time served, you said roughly a year so lets just say 320 days served.
320 + good credit 320=640 days
992-640=352 days
Half of 352=176 days
So he should be out in roughly 5 months. Hope that makes sense..
Like I said that is not very long so he will probably just stay in reception which kinda sucks, cause no phone calls. You can visit but that is behind glass... My hubby was there 4 1/2 months, and I was not planning to visit but I decided to 2 weeks before his release and was very happy I did.. just to her his voice was great... They are in their cell 23 hours a day, so I would send him copies of word searches(like 6)to help pass the time...
Thank you so much for explaining the credit/time served stuff. I was completely lost. I really appreciate that. I'm really hoping he sees his counselor soon and that's all the time he has left to do. I miss him so much.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:36 AM

I couldn't find any AdSeg group, so I'm asking here and hope someone of you can help me.
My man is in San Quentin since several weeks. They put him there in Ad-Seg to be transferred to another prison. They've been telling me since two weeks now that he'll be transferred soon, but nothing has happened so far. I have not received any call, nor a letter or postcard.
Now my questions:

1: How long does it usually take to get transferred? Is it normal to be held there for several weeks?

2: Are they allowed any phone calls? If so, when?

3: Are they allowed to receive and send mail? I sent him a card with a few pictures, but I'm not sure whether they gave it to him.

Unfortunately, the staff there is not very helpful and extremely rude when talking on the phone. They're not willing to give much information if any at all. They even made false statements on the phone.
Maybe someone of you can help me with this. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:06 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,082 Times in 14,192 Posts

Ok. My hub was also in adseg (per se)
Reception inmates cannot make phone calls. (exception is if they have a job, which is rare, and it wouldnt apply to an adseg inmate)
My hub was in reception at sq for 13 months. Yeah. (also not common)
He should be able to send mail.

He may not have supplies to use to mail letters. So you might include a prestamped envelope and some paper in your letter(s)
You could also send him a large envelope with several envelopes and some paper. (I cant remember how much paper is the limit)

As for him receiving mail.....its VERY SLOW to get to them. Not sure why.
Mail should follow him if he IS transferred to this *home* prison.

You might try this link
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=5

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Two Hearts One Soul

My son was just transferred here. Can anyone tell my how long it will be until I can visit him?