Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:42 PM

hi everyone my fiance was just transfered last night to san quentin hes only doin 80 days first time here so im a little lost .. i tried tp put money on jpay but he has no cdc number yet .. should i send him stamps envolpes.. can he call im sorry please anyone who can help
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM

you can send him stamps up to 40 at a time. Did he show up on the inmate search website yet?
here is what i found
Items you CAN send to SQ:
Binder Paper (50 sheets at a time)
Postal Stamps, 2 books at a time (for Reception inmates, send extra books of stamps. The inmates can use them to buy/trade things until they are allowed to go to the canteen).
Ink Pens (must be CLEAR, with no rubber grip or anything extra, you can mail 2 per envelope)
Envelopes (plain, they can be pre-addressed and stamped)
Photos, (no more than 5 per envelope, and no larger than 8x10)
Greeting cards (plain, no foil, glitter, metal springs, etc.)
Letters
Magazines and paperback books- must be shipped from the vendor (example: Barnes and Noble....NO MAGAZINES FOR RECEPTION INMATES)
Newspaper Subscriptions (NOT FOR RECEPTION INMATES)
Money Orders -(made out to the inmate, with ALL inmate info-U.S. Postal Service Money Orders are the best) You can also use JPay (http://www.jpay.com/) to send money to an inmate online
Padded Envelopes- (bubble wrap lined, etc- used to send paper, pens, etc.)
Anything on the “Approved” vendor list, on each vendor’s website (for quarterly/special purchases, SQ specifically...FYI...RECEPTION inmates cannot receive quarterly or special packages.)
Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM

My BF was just transferred to SQ from Solano. I pray it is better at SQ than Solano. Will he be in reception long on a transfer? I'm new to this (MWI) so I've been reading these postings. I wanted to know when he can make a phone call, have a visit or send a letter? He's a lifer. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:31 PM

Default San Quentin newbie questions need help please

As you all are probably familiar with I an panicked, frustrated, and confused with the system. My loved on transferred to state Monday. I was originally told Delano but the inmate locator says san Quentin. The inmate locator also says he was admitted in 2011 though?! I'm assuming he is at SQ. Questions (thanks in advance for any replies):
1) how do I find his release date???
2) where are rules about sending stamps and paper?
3) how long for him to get his mail? I've heard up to a month?
4) what is the procedure for picking him up upon release? (I am coming from out of state)
5) policy for sending "dress outs" or clothing for release.
6) SQ's official website is the cdcr site which has limited facility specific info. Where can I find more and get answers as questions come up?
Thanks again
Old 08-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Default release date info

I need help finding the best way to get release info. He's in reception so can't call and I'm out of state so mail takes a while. Any ideas how I can track his release date? From what I've heard it can change around a lot.
Thank you in advance.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliviapope64 View Post
My BF was just transferred to SQ from Solano. I pray it is better at SQ than Solano. Will he be in reception long on a transfer? I'm new to this (MWI) so I've been reading these postings. I wanted to know when he can make a phone call, have a visit or send a letter? He's a lifer. Thanks!
He will be in reception from 2-4 months. Incoming mail (from you) will take 4-6 weeks. His outgoing mail will take 4-7 business days. He cannot use phones in reception. He can have a one hour behind the glass visit if you are an approved vistor. To get approved he has t obtain the form from the visiting sergeant and mail it to you with his signature on it. Once you receive it you mail it back to:
Attn: Visiting Sergeant
San Quentin State Prison
San Quentin, CA 94974

Once you have mailed it, it takes them 4-8 weeks to process. If you are approved they will contact the inmate and it is his responsibility to let you know you are approved. Don't bother calling the visiting office to ask, they will not tell you
Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha32 View Post
I have been approved to visit my fiancee who is in reception at San Quentin. Everytime I have called I get a recording that says no visits available. The Vpass system says it's for "contact" visits only, which in reception they do not have contact visits. HOW am I supposed to schedule a visit? Do I have to just keep calling every week and hope to get lucky? This is ridiculous
For visiting a reception inmate:
You have to call visiting 415-455-5022 at 8:00am on Sundays and Wednesdays. Stay on hold, I usually have to wait 45-50 minutes before I get an operator to schedule a visit (they have so many people calling at once). Do not hang up and call back, they answer in order of call received. The automated system says it is full if you call before 8:00am (disregard that). Good luck, being nice to the operator helps a ton too.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:39 AM

Default time to mainline

Once they meet with their counselor and are told they will mainline, does anyone know how long it takes???? Anxious for a phone call again... It's been 10 days since he was told he is going to mainline
Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Good Morning, All,

How can I find out where my husband is housed? I got a call that he just got to San Quentin. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Thank you
Old 09-17-2014, 09:49 PM

Hello All,
My husband just got transferred to San Quentin today. I'm so sad because I know I will not be able to talk to him on the phone for months and I'm pregnant :/ anyone know anything about whether or not he can receive mail or money on his books while he is in reception?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 PM

Yes start sending mail asap as it takes a long time to process. Address is:
His name. His cdcr number
San Quentin State Prison
San Quentin CA 94974

You can send books using Amazon. Just ship direct to the address I listed. 7 oUT of 10 of my books arrived. Not sure what happened to the other three it's been over a month since they delivered. My guy is in reception in Badger.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 AM

My friend was just transferred to SQ reception this week. What can I send him exactly? What can reception inmates receive? how long has it been taking for inmates to get transferred?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,499 Times in 14,368 Posts

lossoflove, steviejswifey
check this sticky
http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178514

It will list what you can and cant send to the prison.

as far as how long they will be in reception, it just depends on what facility has a space open for him that fits his needs/level etc.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 11-24-2014, 03:58 PM

Default Where to stay and other questions

I have a question. Well actually I have two questions.
My man is on d/r at San Quentin and I plan to visit him in a few months. I'm planning on staying for 2 or 3 weeks as long as my break from work will last to spend as much time together as we are allowed. And besides that I actually want to see a bit from California while I'm there.
So my question will be what would be the best option to stay at during the time I'm there? Is it reasonable to stay in San Francisco and for example rent a car to travel to SQ? Or are there other places that are better to stay at because they are more near the prison.
I really hope there's someone on here who has spent more than a week there to help me find a place that's not too expensive.

My other question has to do with phonecalls. My man is allowed to make phonecalls now he's grade A. And I can't figure out how to set up an account somewhere with a local number. I'm from overseas and I try to search for a company with the best rates for me. Somebody can help me with that and provide me with information how it works?

Thanks in advance you all!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:12 PM

What is a hardship request letter?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:10 PM

I have been trying for 3 months to schedule a visit at San Quentin. Can anyone verify the number we call? I NEVER get an answer, it just rings and rings and then I get the recording that all slots are full. Any suggestions on who I can call, write, notify, contact, anything?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:52 AM

Default Advice on SQ

Hey everyone ! My boyfriend is getting sent to SQ on Tuesday. I know it will be a while before I'm able to see him. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to wear, what not to wear (other than whats specified online, I know guards can be testy), & just what to expect in general with visits, and life with a loved one incarcerated there. My boyfriend has been in jail for a year now, but I know prison is a whole different world, any help or guidance in this whole process is appreciated !!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Does anybody know at what time to call san quentin prison to book a appointment for reception? And also once you get there do you drive in through the gates or is the parking lot located outside the gates?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:13 PM

I think it's Wednesday's and Sunday's at 8am
Old 03-08-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown36 View Post
Does anybody know at what time to call san quentin prison to book a appointment for reception? And also once you get there do you drive in through the gates or is the parking lot located outside the gates?

You can call Wednesdays and Sundays 8am-10am. Its best to call around 8am. The parking is on the left side before the gate. When you come to the stop sign make a left in to the parking lot
Old 03-12-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Ive moved your post misha to the newbie thread.
I feel your pain. My hub was also in sq reception and in 13 months only managed to get three apts (this was calling every sunday morning from 8 to 10 am.)
its maddening.
You can also try calling on wed to see if anyone cancelled their appt.
(so those of you who get appts and cant keep them, please cancel your appt!!)

also to the question of how long reception is?
My hub was in 13 months. But that is not *usual*
I was just about to ask the same question about visitation. I have been calling every day, but now realize you have to call before visiting days. I left my phone on while I was "in the queue" for 6.5 hours last night, and over 4 now this morning (Friday night and Saturday morning), with no luck. My additional issue is that I have a pressing need to see my boyfriend. I was recently diagnosed with cancer, and once I begin my treatments there is a good chance I won't be able to drive or travel easily. Also, he will probably be transferred out of reception soon, and if he is transferred to somewhere far away, I really won't be able to visit. I have emailed an ombudsman with my concerns (no response), and called the main phone number, but they didn't have any advice for me. Does anyone know if you can get some sort of medical exception or a "move to the head of the line" type of arrangement? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:23 PM

Once someone is done with reception, do they transfer them to a different prison, or do they usually stay at SQ?
Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoz View Post
Once someone is done with reception, do they transfer them to a different prison, or do they usually stay at SQ?
They go through reception at each location, so it seems that he might be at SQ until and if they decide to move him to another location.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
Yeoz (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:55 AM

Thanks, maybe I didn't specify. He is already at SQ in reception. Just wondering if they usually move them out of the area to a different prison after reception, or if they stay at SQ mainline.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:07 PM

My guy is going to be moved (don't know the exact protocol), but this is his second time, and both times he was in SQ then moved. I guess due to prison overcrowding, it is taking longer for him to be moved. He should normally have been moved by now, but he will be there probably 2 more months.