Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default SQ Newbie Q & A

If you are new to this prison and you have any questions, please use this for any general questions you may have that do not fit in any of the other Q&A threads!

Please try to stay on topic!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM

Hi everyone! Can anyone recommend a hotel near the prison that's clean and safe? Any info is greatly appreciated
Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM
5'3 High And Rising

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts

The Extended Stay is right around the corner from the prison. It runs from 89.00-104.00 per night.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:02 PM

my husband just recently got to sq reception does any one know how long they stey in reception at sq??
Old 05-28-2013, 10:17 PM

I have been approved to visit my fiancee who is in reception at San Quentin. Everytime I have called I get a recording that says no visits available. The Vpass system says it's for "contact" visits only, which in reception they do not have contact visits. HOW am I supposed to schedule a visit? Do I have to just keep calling every week and hope to get lucky? This is ridiculous
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,528 Times in 14,379 Posts

Ive moved your post misha to the newbie thread.
I feel your pain. My hub was also in sq reception and in 13 months only managed to get three apts (this was calling every sunday morning from 8 to 10 am.)
its maddening.
You can also try calling on wed to see if anyone cancelled their appt.
(so those of you who get appts and cant keep them, please cancel your appt!!)

also to the question of how long reception is?
My hub was in 13 months. But that is not *usual*

That's my dog's nose art

Last edited by sidewalker; 06-09-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Old 06-22-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj663 View Post
The Extended Stay is right around the corner from the prison. It runs from 89.00-104.00 per night.

what is the address?? I'm not sure which one it is..
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,528 Times in 14,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obliz53 View Post
what is the address?? I'm not sure which one it is..

1775 Francisco Blvd., San Rafael, CA 94901

That's my dog's nose art

Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Ninaa

Default Protective unit?

Is their a protective unit at this facility if so what units are they? This is my first time at this prison with a family friend.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:02 PM
l love my fiance.

will be 1st time visiting. can i get appt on vpass? does anyone know?thank u
Old 08-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Account Closed

Default Transfer

My boyfriend wants to find out when he's transferring to another prison. He's been their since January in reception and now in the hole. He told me to get ahold of his counselor so i called the main san quentin number got the operator and transferred me to a voicemail of his counselor. she hasn't called back which is frustrating! Does anyone else know if I can find out any other way? Or is their anything else I can do? Thank you!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Idk counselors aren't really that helpful and probably won't tell u anyways they usually don't know at least my experience.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 PM

His counselor should tell him which ones he might go to I just remembered they told my hubby 2 of possible ones he would transfer too but ended up at totally different prison might be a security thing too.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Account Closed

Ok I see. No wonder they haven't called me back. I'll ask him if they told him anything. Thanks ladies!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 AM

My brother just got sent to reception does anyone know how long they stay for and can he get calls?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 PM

Default Intro:monica caifornia

NEW TO THIS,BOYFRIEND BEING TRANSFERED TO SAN QUENTIN IN ABOUT A MONTH OR SO,WOULD LIKE SOME INFO.ON RECEPTION AS FAR AS ARE THEY ALLOWED ANY VISITS(HEARD NO) AND ALSO ON FILING A HARDSHIP?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicag View Post
NEW TO THIS,BOYFRIEND BEING TRANSFERED TO SAN QUENTIN IN ABOUT A MONTH OR SO,WOULD LIKE SOME INFO.ON RECEPTION AS FAR AS ARE THEY ALLOWED ANY VISITS(HEARD NO) AND ALSO ON FILING A HARDSHIP?
If you can get approved to visit while he's in reception, you can visit, but the visit will be behind glass and only for an hour. It can take more than 2 months to get approved to visit (first he has to send you a signed CDC 106 form, you then complete it and send it into the prison, who then does a background check), and often they're out of reception before you're approved. Also, while in theory your approval will follow to whatever prison he's endorsed to, in reality, we're talking government workers and paperwork. Safer / less frustrating, probably, to send the form in to wherever he ends up...

Not sure what to tell you on the hardship thing, sorry!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:53 PM

Does anyone know where to find an admissions form online for Patton College there at San Quentin? Any information, links, or phone numbers you would provide is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:52 AM
daisy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_CRH View Post
Does anyone know where to find an admissions form online for Patton College there at San Quentin? Any information, links, or phone numbers you would provide is greatly appreciated.
Mrs CRH:
I could not find too much, other than very general info. I suggest you contact PUP directly through their website to ask. but a few things I did find, suggests that this happens within the walls and through vested interest on your LO's behalf and perhaps through his counselor. noted below are footnotes and links I found during my search to help. I hope i'm not breaking any PTO rules by posting this helpful/resourceful/useful info. forgive me if I have, my intention is to help.

Prison University Project (Wikipedia)
Degrees are awarded through Patten University. More resource links are at bottom of Wiki-page: I did not look at them for more info they may contain.

PrisonEducation.com (Prison University Project)

NPR.org (Inside San Quentin Inmates Go To College)

NerdWallet.com (Prison Education Programs: Prison University Project)

Prison University Project
Post Office 492
San Quentin, CA 94964
Tele: 415-455-8088
Email: Prison University Project Contact Us

[Patten University: The Prison University Project based at San Quentin State Prison allows inmates to earn an associates degree from Patten University in Oakland, CA. The program was started in 1996 by a professor at UC Davis in cooperation with Patten University and the Education Department at San Quentin. PUP offers 20 classes a semester, 3 semesters a year. Classes are available to all inmates classified as “general population” and are taught by over 100 volunteer professors and grad students from Stanford University, UC Berkley, UC Davis, San Francisco State University and other local universities. This past semester courses included a Stanford-San Quentin workshop on Democracy and Incarceration.]

[San Quentin offers the state’s only on-site prison college degree program. About 250 prisoners each semester enroll in college preparatory or associate of arts courses through Patten University at San Quentin, a program run by the Prison University Project. Twelve courses are offered each semester, in the humanities, social sciences, math, and science. All instructors are volunteers and many are from U.C. Berkeley. So far 74 men have completed their degrees at San Quentin.]

[Three hundred inmates enroll every semester. In the meantime, there's a long waiting list of San Quentin prisoners who want to enroll in the college program.]

San Quentin News (2012-05) Page 5
[PAGE 5, EDUCATION CORNER: Students and potential students may consult with the Distance Learning or VEP coordinators regarding their higher education goals for the remainder of the year. Contact the San Quentin VEP coordinators at the main Education Building, classroom one.]

UC Irvine: Inside California’s Prisons and Beyond: A Snapshot of In-Prison and Re-entry Programs (Page 9, 15, 23)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy3 View Post
Mrs CRH:
I could not find too much, other than very general info. I suggest you contact PUP directly through their website to ask. but a few things I did find, suggests that this happens within the walls and through vested interest on your LO's behalf and perhaps through his counselor. noted below are footnotes and links I found during my search to help. I hope i'm not breaking any PTO rules by posting this helpful/resourceful/useful info. forgive me if I have, my intention is to help.

Prison University Project (Wikipedia)
Degrees are awarded through Patten University. More resource links are at bottom of Wiki-page: I did not look at them for more info they may contain.

PrisonEducation.com (Prison University Project)

NPR.org (Inside San Quentin Inmates Go To College)

NerdWallet.com (Prison Education Programs: Prison University Project)

Prison University Project
Post Office 492
San Quentin, CA 94964
Tele: 415-455-8088
Email: Prison University Project Contact Us

[Patten University: The Prison University Project based at San Quentin State Prison allows inmates to earn an associates degree from Patten University in Oakland, CA. The program was started in 1996 by a professor at UC Davis in cooperation with Patten University and the Education Department at San Quentin. PUP offers 20 classes a semester, 3 semesters a year. Classes are available to all inmates classified as “general population” and are taught by over 100 volunteer professors and grad students from Stanford University, UC Berkley, UC Davis, San Francisco State University and other local universities. This past semester courses included a Stanford-San Quentin workshop on Democracy and Incarceration.]

[San Quentin offers the state’s only on-site prison college degree program. About 250 prisoners each semester enroll in college preparatory or associate of arts courses through Patten University at San Quentin, a program run by the Prison University Project. Twelve courses are offered each semester, in the humanities, social sciences, math, and science. All instructors are volunteers and many are from U.C. Berkeley. So far 74 men have completed their degrees at San Quentin.]

[Three hundred inmates enroll every semester. In the meantime, there's a long waiting list of San Quentin prisoners who want to enroll in the college program.]

San Quentin News (2012-05) Page 5
[PAGE 5, EDUCATION CORNER: Students and potential students may consult with the Distance Learning or VEP coordinators regarding their higher education goals for the remainder of the year. Contact the San Quentin VEP coordinators at the main Education Building, classroom one.]

UC Irvine: Inside California’s Prisons and Beyond: A Snapshot of In-Prison and Re-entry Programs (Page 9, 15, 23)
Thank you so much! This is so much more than what I could find. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM

Does anyone know how to get in contact with an inmates counselor?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM

Default library books

Does anyone have the list of books in their library. My friend says he has read most of them. Sometimes in Amazon I find the them cheap, but I don't want to send ones already there.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:08 AM
~Missing my Hubby JD~

Default infor

My husband just go moved to San Quentin last week, I don't know what yard he is located on... any way to find out.... anyway to find out his release date too, I know its October of this year

Thank you

Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 AM
~Missing my Hubby JD~

Need to know what yard my husband is, I got a letter from him the other day and it says 1A42UP

Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 PM

My boyfriend was just transfered to san quentin this morning for recepetion,any idea on how long it takes before they are entered into the inmate locator website so that i can get his cdr#?also who do i send a hardship request letter to??