Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 PM

my first visit ever to a jail im so nervous i don't no what to expect i don't want to wear the wrong thing Lawd the process paper work
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Default anyone help Petersburg

ladies gents whomever im just getting anxious waiting on the baby to come home he's been down for 8 yrs 5months to go i want to know what to expect when will they give us the release date i have to take off work his i'd's should we start getting those now i could ramble for days but y'all get me help me please =)

Old 05-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Default Looking for information about Petersburg Medium.

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to this site, and would like information about Petersburg Medium. My son is supposed to be processed in on Monday. Is it a fairly safe environment? He is a first-time offender, so we can't figure out why he's been designated to a medium security facility. There was NEVER any mention that this could be a possibility all throughout the nearly 2-year process, or at sentencing. I was told by someone in the BOP that it could be because of "population management" or something like that. Does that mean overcrowding in the Low facilities? Also, he said he was shakled for the flight in the same harsh way that the inmates who had life sentences for murder and so forth, and those headed to USPs were shackled...the other men on the flight even asked him if he was a murderer or had a life sentence. He was really concerned that there had been some mistake, and he was being taken to a USP. Has this type of thing ever happened to someone you know? Any answers would be so appreciated!! Thank you!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Uphill battle-bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyson51 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to this site, and would like information about Petersburg Medium. My son is supposed to be processed in on Monday. Is it a fairly safe environment? He is a first-time offender, so we can't figure out why he's been designated to a medium security facility. There was NEVER any mention that this could be a possibility all throughout the nearly 2-year process, or at sentencing. I was told by someone in the BOP that it could be because of "population management" or something like that. Does that mean overcrowding in the Low facilities? Also, he said he was shakled for the flight in the same harsh way that the inmates who had life sentences for murder and so forth, and those headed to USPs were shackled...the other men on the flight even asked him if he was a murderer or had a life sentence. He was really concerned that there had been some mistake, and he was being taken to a USP. Has this type of thing ever happened to someone you know? Any answers would be so appreciated!! Thank you!
Hi there. Couldn't help thinking about you and your son the past couple of days. I hope his processing went okay, or was at least uneventful. I, too, have been scouring the site looking for information on the facility as I am headed there in early June. I hope you've been able to find some info that's helpful. From what I can gather, in regards to federal prisons, its a "good" place in regards to inmate safety, so I hope that helps a little.

Dá fhaid é an lá tiocfaidh an tráthnóna.
No matter how long the day, the evening will come.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 PM

Thank you for your kind thoughts about our situation, MapleLane. He said his processing went fairly well, and he's getting settled in. My husband, daughter, and I were able to bisit him this past weekend. We saw him Friday evening, and because his counselor approved a "special" visit for the weekend, we saw him both Saturday and Sunday for the entire allowed time. It was a pretty laid back atmosphere, and all the COs were polite and helpful. Our son said most were the same with the inmates. I feel so much better about the situation of it being a medium now. He says most of the inmates don't want to get transferred anywhere else, so they're pretty careful about not getting into any trouble. If you have any specific questions about the facility or process, I would be happy to try to answer them based on what I learned from my son. Feel free to pm me.
The Following User Says Thank You to lovemyson51 For This Useful Post:
MapleLane (05-26-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Post Looking for Info on FCI Petersburg

I'm trying to help my loved one figure out which prison might be best for him. His lawyers think he's likely to be eligible for a low-security facility, so I thought FCI Petersburg Low might be a good option for him.

If anyone can tell me what it's like there I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,959 Times in 11,669 Posts

The low is an old prison that has been added to over the years. Some of the residence units are nasty and cramped while the newer buildings are better. There is no air conditioning except in the library, medical and chapel buildings so the summer nights can be rough even with a personal fan which can be purchased at the commissary. They have the 18 month faith based reidential Life Connections program there, so the only way to get a guaranteed decent cell is to get accepted into LCP. I was there for 3 years and it was better than some other lows that I was in because there is usually a reasonable level of drama and violence.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The low is an old prison that has been added to over the years. Some of the residence units are nasty and cramped while the newer buildings are better. There is no air conditioning except in the library, medical and chapel buildings so the summer nights can be rough even with a personal fan which can be purchased at the commissary. They have the 18 month faith based reidential Life Connections program there, so the only way to get a guaranteed decent cell is to get accepted into LCP. I was there for 3 years and it was better than some other lows that I was in because there is usually a reasonable level of drama and violence.
Is it dormitory style quarters? How many men in a room? What is the visiting room like? Can you have a visitor Saturday & Sunday? Are there any types of educational classes? Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Waiting for MapleLane

Default FCI Petersburg

Just f.y.i....

I got a call from my LO about an hour ago. In case anyone was wondering, FCI Petersburg was on lockdown for a few hours this morning. Apparently, he heard through the grapevine that there was a fight in another unit, but he didn't know which one. The lockdown ended late morning. THe inmates were able to get breakfast, but they walked the units down one by one...no two units ate together.

Hope this info was of help to someone who might have worried.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwr_fields View Post
Seems like there aren't a lot of regulars to this thread, but I thought it would be worth posting something just in case someone still checks it or someone checks it in the future who is in a similar situation!

My fiance is in the Petersburg FCI Medium SHU as a holdover inmate...just curious if anyone knows the routine for SHU inmates. He's only been there for a couple weeks, but he says that it seems like he's only allowed to make one phone call a week. Is this what everyone else has experienced? I read online here that several other places only permit one call a month, so I won't complain about once a week! Oh, and visitation...I've applied for visitation, but it's says in the manual SHU inmates are only permitted to get visits from immediate family and/or spouses. Don't know if they'll accept me or not...keeping the fingers crossed! Anyone know if they'll view me as a spouse even though we're just engaged?

For anyone who is coming here for information...I know he's locked in the cell with two other guys for 23 hours a day and has the ability to go outside for 1 hour, but it's at like 5:15am so he usually stays put. He can receive letters and a paperback book from a book company...and he said that he wrote a letter, but I haven't gotten it yet. He was able to place an order from the commissary, so he now has headphones to listen to all day. I think that's about all of the info that I have on the place. Hope this helps someone and I hope someone can answer my questions, too.
Thank you so much for this information. My fiance just got there yesterday as a holdover, and I really needed this information. How long did yours end up there as a holdover? And 1 call once a week? OMG!
The Following User Says Thank You to myheart76 For This Useful Post:
nitah1013 (09-24-2013)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Hey! I had forgotten that I posted in here for anyone in the "future"! LOL! I think he was only there for three weeks when they shipped him out to another holdover facility. I found out that he wasn't allowed to have any visits, but don't let that keep you from trying. It was really rough not being able to get regular calls or knowing when we would be able to call. I had read some nightmare stories about the Atlanta facility for holdovers, but Petersburg is apparently much dirtier. He did get the letters and the books and like I said before - he was able to get commissary in there too. I hope this helps...and I hope it's a quick stay for your fiance!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Hey ladies, my friend is over there and I was thinking of coming to visit him for the first time in
September.
Can anyone tell me if its easy to get there without driving? And of an hotels in the vicinity? I will be coming from overseas! Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 851 Posts

My friend is trying to get transferred to Petersburg med facility as soon as he gets reclassified from High to med security. I did find the Petersburg prisoner's handbook on the FBOP web site if anyone wants to know about how the place works.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene.E2008 View Post
My man has been there for a long ass time and I know that place inside and out, if you need any info, message me or whatever, I can tell you everything you need to know about Petersburg.
i have many questions about what prison life in petersburg is like. would this be your best way to communicate?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It's not nearly as bad as some other BOP prisons I was in. It is nicknamed pettysburg because of the staff, but that's nothing out of the ordinary. Unlike Petersburg low, the units are all air conditioned, which is welcome during the VA summers. Decent jobs are difficult to obtain and the UNICOR is nearly impossible to get into, so people with no money have a rough time unless they have a hustle, like washing clothes, etc. I found it to be a pretty safe environment although there are occasional problems. Inmates are rarely locked down during the day, but are locked in the cells from 9 pm until 6 am. There are 2, 3 and 4 man cells. The 3 high bunks have been enjoined by the courts, but are virtually all used anyway as a "temporary" fix for overcrowding (BOP defines temporary as anything less than 100 years). I purchased a 2 man cell and it was well worth the cost. Overall it was OK as federal prisons go.
how do you purchase a two man cell? and how much is it?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

He will have to find someone in a 2 man cell who is willing to change places. Sometimes both people agree so they can change cellmates. Other times they will ask for certain commissary items to do it. Since inmates are not allowed to barter, it is possible to get a writeup for the payment of commissary in return for anything from another prisoner, but stuff like this and gambling happen all the time. Even so, I don't recommend doing it.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 PM
lovin him loving me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwr_fields View Post
Seems like there aren't a lot of regulars to this thread, but I thought it would be worth posting something just in case someone still checks it or someone checks it in the future who is in a similar situation!

My fiance is in the Petersburg FCI Medium SHU as a holdover inmate...just curious if anyone knows the routine for SHU inmates. He's only been there for a couple weeks, but he says that it seems like he's only allowed to make one phone call a week. Is this what everyone else has experienced? I read online here that several other places only permit one call a month, so I won't complain about once a week! Oh, and visitation...I've applied for visitation, but it's says in the manual SHU inmates are only permitted to get visits from immediate family and/or spouses. Don't know if they'll accept me or not...keeping the fingers crossed! Anyone know if they'll view me as a spouse even though we're just engaged?

For anyone who is coming here for information...I know he's locked in the cell with two other guys for 23 hours a day and has the ability to go outside for 1 hour, but it's at like 5:15am so he usually stays put. He can receive letters and a paperback book from a book company...and he said that he wrote a letter, but I haven't gotten it yet. He was able to place an order from the commissary, so he now has headphones to listen to all day. I think that's about all of the info that I have on the place. Hope this helps someone and I hope someone can answer my questions, too.
This has been so helpful!!! Mine just got moved to Petersburg Med in SHU as a holdover. I only knew because his status changed on the BOP website. He hasn't been able to call yet and he's been there for 4 days. I'm hoping to speak with his unit manager tomorrow. I've wanted to send mail, but don't know how long he's gonna be there... so don't know if it makes sense to. Last time he was waiting to be transferred, he was sitting in a regional jail for 6 months! So I'm very worried about this whole isolation-because-he's-in-holdover stuff. How do you apply for visitation? I'm also his fiance and was worried about that. I appreciate any information!

Old 03-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Donation Award 

Location: Somewhere out there, beneath the clear blue sky (f)
Thanked 1,214 Times in 733 Posts

The inmate sends the form home. They are pretty easy with visitation, and approve very quickly.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM

I have a loved one in Petersburg if anyone would like to communicate or has questions
Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Donation Award 

Anyone know of any problems going on here? I have a friend who had the phone go dead and hasn't heard anything for over a day???
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 PM

^which one? the medium, low or camp? I just got back and everything was fine.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Donation Award 

The medium. She heard from his last night, something with the phones. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 PM

Default Info on Petersburg Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcuda65 View Post
I have a loved one in Petersburg if anyone would like to communicate or has questions
If you have info. on Petersburg Low please let me know. Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

What do you want to know? I was there for over 3 years up until Feb 2008. It is an old prison with no AC, but inmates can buy individual fans which are a big help. They do have weights and a good recreation program, library and crafts too. The 18 month residential life connections program (faith based) is there and the people in the program have better conditions than the rest of the general population. If he is interested, see the Chaplain. Let me know what else you want to know.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM

Hi am new to this. I am going to visit a friend and am a bit nervous. I did get approved to see him. I read the dress code but am just a ball or nerves! I heard that we can hold hands? am I wrong? Also are there ways I can get to the low without a car? Like a bus? Carpool?
Thank you