Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM

Default Petersburg FCI medium

Does anyone here have a loved one in Petersburg FCI
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Looking to see about the housing at Petersburg Low. Is it in dorm style or cells? How about the medium situation? Thank you
Old 06-04-2018, 10:54 AM

I'm also wondering how Petersburg medium is like.. Any updated information.

Last edited by Meljon804; 06-04-2018 at 11:19 AM..
Old 06-04-2018, 11:39 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,359 Times in 11,854 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums.

Petersburg Medium is air conditioned, (the low isn't) which is very welcome during the Virginia Summers. It's been awhile since I was there, but it was a decent place when I was.

2,3 and 4 man cells. The 3 man ones are the worst, and the prison was supposedly court ordered not to use them, but of course they did anyway. Each has a 3-high steel bed without enough headroom to sit up.

I hope you hear from some recent residents, or from their families.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:25 PM

I haven’t seen a lot of on FCI Petersburg. I am visiting first time today with my son. So excited I actually arrived 2 hours early. It’s ok, I’m in the parking lot and haven’t been kicked out yet.
Finding the facility was pretty easy and the signs are large and close to the road.
I’ll update after the visit for anyone who’s looking for info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beachymom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 08:28 PM

The visit went great! I haven’t seen him in over a month and this was my first federal visit. Wasn’t sure what to expect so I was prepared. I arranged wayyy too early, brought extra change of clothes and my bag of quarters.
When I arrived I went inside the building to confirm I was in the correct place and to find out when I could check in for my visit. They are strict on not coming in earlier than 5:00 (hours today were 5-9). Once 5:00 came, I signed in and had to fill out a paper consenting to searching and confirming I wasn’t brining in contraband or anything illegal. They took my paper and my ID and we waited in a room for about 15 minutes as the rest of the people checked in. There are restrooms and a change machine.
They called the inmates last names and one by one we were allowed in. We had to remove our shoes, belts, jewelry etc and place it in a bin to be x rates on the belt. We walked through a metal detector then another machine (like at the airport) I don’t know what it was..x ray maybe? I’ve heard if ion scanners, but I don’t know if that’s what it was.
Once we were all through there we went to another waiting area. A man came through and said if anyone had chewing gum now was the time to get rid of it. The he stamped all of our right hands with an invisible ink pad. Once we were all done, we went through the door that locked behind us. There was a window with a guard on the other side and a uv light. We had to place our hands under thwanna light so the guard to see the stamp.
The next door opened and we were directed to walk to a yellow line marked Vistor and waited. And this point there was a large fence in front of us and 2 smaller building on either side of us. Through the fence was the housing areas where we could see people walking from different buildings. When we got through the next door we were directed to sit at the chairs. There were small plastic chairs with mini tables. There were sets of 4 chairs (2 side by side facing 2 side by side with the small table in the middle) there were a lot of chairs!
There were 5 vending machines with regular snack in 2, sodas in 1, sandwiches/burgers/fruit cups in 1 and the last one was just 2 flavors of Powerade and Coke Zero. The regular snacks were about a dollar up to 2.50. The sandwiches were 4.75 and sodas 1.00. They did have an inmate available to take pictures if they purchased the tickets from commissary. They had a backdrop painted by the inmates on the wall.
We got some snacks for him while we waited, which seemed like forever. Finally, my baby boy came in. He handed the guard his ID and was directed to sit with us facing the guard desk instead of his back facing them. They did have games and cards at the guard station we were allowed to use. Once our visit was over, we hugged and kissed him, and had to line up at the door. There was another uv light we had to place our hands under before the door was unlocked. We walked outside and back to the main building, again showing the guard our hands under the uv light. Once we were back at the area where we checked in they handed our IDs back and we had to sign out on the sign in sheet with the time we were leaving.
From the time we checked in and actually made it to the visiting area was about 30-40 minutes. All of the staff were professional and friendly and even said kindly “don’t cry” to me as I was leaving. It was not a tense environment as I have experienced in Texas state prison visiting. I was relieved seeing my boy look so good and we had a fun visit.
Can’t wait to go back!
The Following User Says Thank You to Beachymom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-08-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:12 PM

Default Petersburg VA Camp.

Hello everyone! My other half, has been in Petersburg VA Camp now for the passed 6mnths. We are from Texas so hes very far from home. Im just trying to gather any information I can being we are both new to this. Its very hard not being able to visit so any information anyone wants to share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:17 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. The camp is across the parking lot from the FCI Low. The FCI Low is the old prison surrounded by watch towers.

It seems to be a decent place, although I was never assigned there. It does have weights (many bop prisons don't) and I recall watching "campers" walking around freely most of the time. If you do get to visit, it is next to Fort Lee in Hopewell, VA.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. The camp is across the parking lot from the FCI Low. The FCI Low is the old prison surrounded by watch towers.

It seems to be a decent place, although I was never assigned there. It does have weights (many bop prisons don't) and I recall watching "campers" walking around freely most of the time. If you do get to visit, it is next to Fort Lee in Hopewell, VA.
I was denied to visit due too me being out of county jail on bond. Was told that since it would be considered a (pending felony charge) & until taken care of I am denied. ☹️
The Following User Says Thank You to HisPassenger84 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes, the bop won't allow visitation for as long as a case is pending, and even during parole/probation/supervised release.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 PM

Does anyone know if Medium is on lockdown? Haven’t heard from my son in a week now and starting to worry.
Thanks