Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Illinois that do not fit into any other Illinois sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Default Vandalia and GED

Hey everyone. I am new to all of this and I have a question I hope someone can help me with. My son just got transferred to Vandalia and wanted to do the GED classes but he told me today that they said it was a 6 month wait. Does anyone know if that is true? Also he said that the things it shows online for them to do they do not have. like the auto body classes and stuff like that. Is that the case or is he mistaken? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks you
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JISMOM View Post
Hey everyone. I am new to all of this and I have a question I hope someone can help me with. My son just got transferred to Vandalia and wanted to do the GED classes but he told me today that they said it was a 6 month wait. Does anyone know if that is true? Also he said that the things it shows online for them to do they do not have. like the auto body classes and stuff like that. Is that the case or is he mistaken? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks you
Hi there. That sounds about the right timeframe with the ged class, and the online list of classes available at IDOC prisons is a JOKE. So, unfortunately, it is most likely the case. Depending on the length of his sentence he will have more or less priority with wait lists. Between that and the current wait length it’s usually three to nine months for anything.

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

Old 09-17-2019, 10:31 AM

Thank you for your reply. He got sentenced to 3 yrs and they said he would most likely to a yr or just a little over. He wants to get his GED but I guess he may not be able to.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:06 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. He got sentenced to 3 yrs and they said he would most likely to a yr or just a little over. He wants to get his GED but I guess he may not be able to.
So if he was sentenced to 3 at 50% that’s 18 months. If theres a six month wait he should get in. Tell him to apply for anything that doesn’t have a wait while he’s on the ged list do he can earn more good time. He can earn up to six months so he’ll want to be in something-anything-to get that 18 down to 12. They should give him a tape test soon. If he fails it miserably he’ll get into ged quicker.

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

Old 09-17-2019, 02:13 PM

Thank you, What is a tape test? He was also talking about maybe qualifying for the work release program out of peoria. Do you know anything about that and how long they have to be in there to qualify for that?
The Following User Says Thank You to JISMOM For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Thank you, What is a tape test? He was also talking about maybe qualifying for the work release program out of peoria. Do you know anything about that and how long they have to be in there to qualify for that?
It’s an aptitude test. My husband took it to qualify for college contracts (contracts=classes). If they don’t score high enough even if they have a hs diploma they’ll make them go thru the ged program first. At most longer term facilities, the ged class is the shortest wait so a lot of the guys dumb the answers down to qualify for the ged class so they can get good time accruing while they wait for the others to open up. Your son is at a level 6 minimum, a lot of shorter sentences so the wait will be longer. The shorter the sentence, higher priority to get them into something. He should be able to apply for work release after six months.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:10 PM

Thank you so much. You have been most helpful.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:39 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Thank you so much. You have been most helpful.
You’re welcome!

Old 09-17-2019, 07:31 PM

Thanked 1,088 Times in 490 Posts

Its the TABE test and should be given to him. Yes, you really can't believe the resources listed on the IDOC website as many of them have stopped due to budget cuts, no instructors, etc..

At least he doesn't have long. Programs and school is based on your sentence length. So the longer the sentence, the longer you wait as the goal is to get the short timers thru first.

My son waited 4+ years for college - he had his GED and some college prior to incarceration.

Best wishes for an uneventful time.