Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:35 PM

Default How to get time off from RDAP program?

Hello!

Iím to be self surrendering soon to a camp. Iíd like to enroll in the RDAP program and although I quality to enter, Iíve had conflicting reports as to if Iíd qualify for time off.

I was arrested for conspiracy ďdevice fraudĒ but in my PSR I admitted to being a heavy drug users until arrest.

I was told that only specifically drug charges entail the time off from RDAP.

Is that true?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2018, 04:51 PM

Thanked 1,078 Times in 542 Posts

No it’s not true. If it’s documented in your PSR, depending on the length of your sentence, even if the judge didn’t recommend it, you can apply for the RDAP program if your camp has a program. Most RDAP programs have a waitlist so either way once you get there you’ll have to wait anyway, and some of the rules are stupid but they can be very helpful programs especially for true addicts. They are also easy to get kicked out of if you break the rules. Depending on length of sentence you can get up to a year off. At my husband’s camp, there was a guy who has a gambling addiction and the judge would not recommend him for RDAP. However once he got to the camp, he was indeed able to get into the program. The key is having an addiction documented in your PSR so you’re set at least with that. What camp are you going to?
Old 08-17-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
No itís not true. If itís documented in your PSR, depending on the length of your sentence, even if the judge didnít recommend it, you can apply for the RDAP program if your camp has a program. Most RDAP programs have a waitlist so either way once you get there youíll have to wait anyway, and some of the rules are stupid but they can be very helpful programs especially for true addicts. They are also easy to get kicked out of if you break the rules. Depending on length of sentence you can get up to a year off. At my husbandís camp, there was a guy who has a gambling addiction and the judge would not recommend him for RDAP. However once he got to the camp, he was indeed able to get into the program. The key is having an addiction documented in your PSR so youíre set at least with that. What camp are you going to?
OK here is a heads up be careful of this program yes it is supposed to help you get clean but you might be walking into a trap that's what happened to my husband this program was filled with drugs that the inmates had
The Following User Says Thank You to upsetspouse For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetspouse View Post
OK here is a heads up be careful of this program yes it is supposed to help you get clean but you might be walking into a trap that's what happened to my husband this program was filled with drugs that the inmates had
Unfortunately this is true anywhere in the camps, however if youíre serious about getting clean and you really have an addiction problem it is doable. Those who donít give a crap more often than not are the ones that have difficulty. Also, there are plenty of white collar guys in the program, so in that regard it is quite easy to not get involved in that.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
No itís not true. If itís documented in your PSR, depending on the length of your sentence, even if the judge didnít recommend it, you can apply for the RDAP program if your camp has a program. Most RDAP programs have a waitlist so either way once you get there youíll have to wait anyway, and some of the rules are stupid but they can be very helpful programs especially for true addicts. They are also easy to get kicked out of if you break the rules. Depending on length of sentence you can get up to a year off. At my husbandís camp, there was a guy who has a gambling addiction and the judge would not recommend him for RDAP. However once he got to the camp, he was indeed able to get into the program. The key is having an addiction documented in your PSR so youíre set at least with that. What camp are you going to?
Apparently my camp doesnít have RDAP, but itís a very good camp otherwise. Duluth.

How should I proceed? Can I request a different camp? I know I canít start RDAP asap but can I request a different camp after spending some time at this one?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBitcoins View Post
Apparently my camp doesn’t have RDAP, but it’s a very good camp otherwise. Duluth.

How should I proceed? Can I request a different camp? I know I can’t start RDAP asap but can I request a different camp after spending some time at this one?
Duluth DOES have RDAP. My husband is in Duluth. Feel free to private message me.

I can ask him how long the wait generally is for RDAP. I know I've asked him before, I just can't remember. I also know some of the rules are stupid. You have to "tell" on other inmates when they break rules including stupid shit, like "when they walk outside the lines" outside. Stuff like that.

When do you SS, how long will you be there? I think your sentence has to be longer than 3 years to be eligible for RDAP.

You definitely got the best camp around here. We did a shit-ton of research, and after advice from our attorney who made it clear my husband should request a free standing camp, Duluth was his first choice, followed by Yankton. He fortunately got Duluth, although the weather sucks, plane flights are always late and unpredictable, but it's been about as good as he can expect. 5-1/2 months to go!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Duluth DOES have RDAP. My husband is in Duluth. Feel free to private message me.

I can ask him how long the wait generally is for RDAP. I know I've asked him before, I just can't remember. I also know some of the rules are stupid. You have to "tell" on other inmates when they break rules including stupid shit, like "when they walk outside the lines" outside. Stuff like that.

When do you SS, how long will you be there? I think your sentence has to be longer than 3 years to be eligible for RDAP.

You definitely got the best camp around here. We did a shit-ton of research, and after advice from our attorney who made it clear my husband should request a free standing camp, Duluth was his first choice, followed by Yankton. He fortunately got Duluth, although the weather sucks, plane flights are always late and unpredictable, but it's been about as good as he can expect. 5-1/2 months to go!
Oh thats fabulous!

I have a little under 4 years. I SS in about a month but I plan on postponing, I have an internship Iíd like to get done first.

I read online that Duluth is one of the best camps around, and something about a salad bar
Old 08-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,823 Posts

"and something about a salad bar"

You are going to prison and your biggest worry is a salad bar!?!?!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:56 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
I’m to be self surrendering soon to a camp. I’d like to enroll in the RDAP program and although I quality to enter, I’ve had conflicting reports as to if I’d qualify for time off.
From what I've been hearing, few people are getting the full year off their sentence these days, usually far less. And you have to be prepared to snitch and rat out on other prisoners to make it through the program. Many prisoners can't stand it and end up dropping out. Not an easy program, for what it's worth.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 08-17-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Oh thats fabulous!

I have a little under 4 years. I SS in about a month but I plan on postponing, I have an internship I’d like to get done first.

I read online that Duluth is one of the best camps around, and something about a salad bar
That's funny. I actually remember when my husband found that same article. No, not salad bar. The other bad thing is that Yankton has college courses you can take, Duluth doesn't. But they offer a lot of other classes taught by the inmates, self interest classes, some required stuff, it's really what you make of it. My husband is teaching a class now, enjoys it. This is his second session of teaching and he may teach one more depending on the timing. He takes about 3-4 classes each time as well. He is ready to get out of there, because some of the stuff is just beyond ridiculous. You honestly cannot make the crap up.

I don't know how long your internship is, but honestly I would tell you to just go in and get the process over with. The sooner you start, the sooner you can get out of there. My husband was sentenced in September and requested a SS date of December 5. We just talked about it last weekend and in retrospect wishes he had SS in October. With RDAP you can earn up to 1 year off your sentence. There are rumors that either Duluth or Yankton is closing but who knows? A year ago Duluth only had about 4-500 inmates, then Pekin closed and it got up to 715 or so. Now they're down to 650ish. When he got there jobs were scarce and he got stuck working in the kitchen, but he figured things out and who to talk to and was able to quickly move to education and is now a GED tutor and really likes it. He doesn't get involved in all the drama and other stuff that goes on. There are a lot of drugs, and contraband, cell phones, etc., but lately there have also been a lot of shakedowns. They have a lot of recalls/lockdown for dumb stuff too. I refer to it as a bad overnight camp.

There's a lot of high schoolish type of things that go on there and drama. It's hard for the inmates and hard for some when some guys have regular visitors and others have none. Drama.

Lots of homophobia.

I'm happy to go over and answer any of your questions. We had people nice enough to help us and they were dead on about everything. It took the fear and anxiety out of it for my husband. There's no rape or anything like that there. You'll be safe. The only guys that get beat up are ones that owe debts for things like gambling. Yep, there's that in there too.

Again, I"m happy to answer any questions. If you have a wife/gf/SO, happy to share info on visiting, etc. It's a little scary the first time, but it's like visiting someone in a school cafeteria. Not intimidating at all.

My husband who is not a big guy other than being tall has lost more than 40lbs. He maybe had about 10lbs to lose when he got in there.

Like I said, feel free to PM me. Mine is a white collar guy, wasn't eligible for RDAP, but like I said, anything you want to know about, I can find out for you.

The other thing about SS sooner than later. The weather. Apparently, it is known to snow there as early as October. When I dropped him off last December it was brutally cold. They had a huge snow storm in May. It is literally nice only one month or so a year (July), although it was hot last weekend which was rare, and they don't have a/c. You'll need to buy a lot of extra clothes for the winter months which will take a bite out of your commissary, so the sooner you get in there, the sooner you can acclimate and get comfortable and learn the routines, as well as get the clothes you need. He showed up in December and fortunately that's a month you get extra spending for the holiday. Oh, they also give you a Xmas goodie bag. He didn't eat any of it, and gave it away which was helpful because he gave it away as "thank yous" to guys who helped him with stuff, so that worked out.

Everyone eventually gets into the RDAP progam if they qualify. I know a guy recently that wasn't recommended for it, was able to get in it and he wasn't there that long. Not too many guys get kicked out. They do so mainly for breaking the rules, ie doing drugs, having contraband. One of his former roommates was a big time K2 user. He was constantly back in their dorm and wasn't getting kicked out. Finally after probably 10 chances he got the boot, and back to their dorm. And then no one could understand how he never wound up in the SHU because he was a big time user. Finally a couple weeks ago, in the SHU he went and finally last weekend shipped to an FCI. They were all like good riddance because nothing was going to help this kid. It's sad but true. My husband said the guy was really a mess. Tried to get my husband to steal food for him when my husband worked in the kitchen. My husband wanted no part of that. I remember when my husband had me research what fentanyl and K2 were because we didn't even know what it was! Unfortunately, now he knows way too well what those are and do. It's rampant, although like I said, they're starting to crack down better on it, but still missing a ton.

Last edited by rockchalk1; 08-17-2018 at 11:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
FML (08-19-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
"and something about a salad bar"

You are going to prison and your biggest worry is a salad bar!?!?!
No itís not a big worry I just found it amusing, the articles online claim thereís a salad bar and a movie theater. I already had to spend 3 days in an MCC holding facility so Iím aware of many of the realities of being in prison but was told that camps are much nicer than MCC.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
From what I've been hearing, few people are getting the full year off their sentence these days, usually far less. And you have to be prepared to snitch and rat out on other prisoners to make it through the program. Many prisoners can't stand it and end up dropping out. Not an easy program, for what it's worth.
Yes Iíd seen online much about both. Frankly Iíd take any time off of my sentence. Iíve heard of this thing called ďsecond chanceĒ in order to convert some prison time into halfway house time but I was told itís no longer available
Old 08-17-2018, 11:47 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Yes I’d seen online much about both. Frankly I’d take any time off of my sentence. I’ve heard of this thing called “second chance” in order to convert some prison time into halfway house time but I was told it’s no longer available
You could always give it a try and see how you like it.

I just know from my brief experience with a similar TC-style program in state prison, that the day-to-day stress and rigors of the program wasn't worth getting a few months knocked off my prison time. Way easier to pass time in general population, the days don't drag so much.

I believe RDAP lasts at least 9 months, so that's a fair bit of discipline you have to adhere to during that time.

It's unfortunate that the Feds don't currently allow for parole or any other way to get early release, besides RDAP.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
No itís not a big worry I just found it amusing, the articles online claim thereís a salad bar and a movie theater. I already had to spend 3 days in an MCC holding facility so Iím aware of many of the realities of being in prison but was told that camps are much nicer than MCC.
There is a ďtheatreĒ and they show movies regularly. But with Football starting soon, that will Trump the movies most likely on the weekends. I know a lot of guys play floor hockey and thereís a softball league in the summer and basketball pretty much year-round. My husband works out every day but stays away from any contact sport. Definitely doesnít want to take a chance at getting hurt. With a 48 month sentence youíll get about 8 months off based on Good time credit and be eligible for about 5 months HWH time off the bat. Youíll get those ďeligibilityĒ dates about a month in from the BOP in Texas. Lots of guys get ďshotsĒ and get some good time credit taken away so thatís why you want to keep your nose clean.
The
Old 08-18-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
You could always give it a try and see how you like it.

I just know from my brief experience with a similar TC-style program in state prison, that the day-to-day stress and rigors of the program wasn't worth getting a few months knocked off my prison time. Way easier to pass time in general population, the days don't drag so much.

I believe RDAP lasts at least 9 months, so that's a fair bit of discipline you have to adhere to during that time.

It's unfortunate that the Feds don't currently allow for parole or any other way to get early release, besides RDAP.
Agree. There are so many other ways they can incentivize inmates and not just ones that are RDAP eligible. But it is what it is.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:49 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,983 Times in 11,677 Posts

Tell your unit team that (if) you want to do RDAP. When you apply, you will be told two different things, are you eligible for the program, and 2, are you eligible to be awarded extra time off of your sentence. Here's the RDAP program statement.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5330_011.pdf

It also requires additional substance abuse treatment/testing during supervised release.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Tell your unit team that (if) you want to do RDAP. When you apply, you will be told two different things, are you eligible for the program, and 2, are you eligible to be awarded extra time off of your sentence. Here's the RDAP program statement

It also requires additional substance abuse treatment/testing during supervised release.
Can you tell me about the additional stuff after release?
Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Can you tell me about the additional stuff after release?
One of the guys that was with my husband that did RDAP there is now in the HWH here and Iíve spoken to him a few times. If youíd like, I can ask him about that. I know for guys on HC he said they make you come back 1-2x week for check ins and random blood tests but Iím not sure if he was referring to someone like my husband or a post RDAP person.

If you give me a list of specific questions, Iím happy to ask. His will be the best and most accurate since he lived it and is still living it. I believe he did get a year off his sentence.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,975 Times in 1,328 Posts

I think the post-RDAP Supervised Release conditions vary by office or region. But for some period of time, frequent urinalysis and either/or group and individual counseling and possibly AA/NA meetings are required. The out-patient component of RDAP during re-entry is considered to contribute significantly in preventing recidivism.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 03:07 PM

from my husband re: RDAP, movie theatre and salad bar at Duluth

"There is sort of a movie theatre. Definitely no salad bar - it is a lettuce with bad dressings bar.

Only advice I can give on RDAP is apply for it as soon as you can. Because there is a waiting period.

Otherwise, I don't know for certainty enough about the various time periods to quote anything. Ultimately, maybe a few people benefit from the behavioral modifications, but for most people, it is a joke and just a way to get out sooner."
Old 08-18-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
from my husband re: RDAP, movie theatre and salad bar at Duluth

"There is sort of a movie theatre. Definitely no salad bar - it is a lettuce with bad dressings bar.

Only advice I can give on RDAP is apply for it as soon as you can. Because there is a waiting period.

Otherwise, I don't know for certainty enough about the various time periods to quote anything. Ultimately, maybe a few people benefit from the behavioral modifications, but for most people, it is a joke and just a way to get out sooner."
Thank you!

Iíll make sure to apply the first week that Iím there.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

Iíll make sure to apply the first week that Iím there.
Another reason I thought of as to why you shouldnít delay your SS. When he got there in December, their numbers were high (over 700). Now theyíre down to 650 or so. Good jobs were scarce back then and some guys I think didnít have anything. He got assigned to the kitchen. While he didnít mind, most donít want those jobs. Rdap also have different work hours because of their programming. But anyway, a lot of guys are about to be released in the next couple of months so there will be a lot of jobs opening and shifts and that also means beds opening up. Itís not overcrowded in the dorms in any case which is nice but just thought I would mention that. The dorms are 4 to a room or 6 although he has only 3 and its staying that way until he leaves unless for some reason it becomes overcrowded which is unlikely. He got lucky in that regard!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Another reason I thought of as to why you shouldnít delay your SS. When he got there in December, their numbers were high (over 700). Now theyíre down to 650 or so. Good jobs were scarce back then and some guys I think didnít have anything. He got assigned to the kitchen. While he didnít mind, most donít want those jobs. Rdap also have different work hours because of their programming. But anyway, a lot of guys are about to be released in the next couple of months so there will be a lot of jobs opening and shifts and that also means beds opening up. Itís not overcrowded in the dorms in any case which is nice but just thought I would mention that. The dorms are 4 to a room or 6 although he has only 3 and its staying that way until he leaves unless for some reason it becomes overcrowded which is unlikely. He got lucky in that regard!
Is it required that one get a job in the camp? Are there many jobs that involve physically leaving the camp that could result in a fast food stop or something like it?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Is it required that one get a job in the camp? Are there many jobs that involve physically leaving the camp that could result in a fast food stop or something like it?
No, nobody leaves the camp for any job except if youíre a driver and there are only two people I think that are drivers and they donít get to stop at any extra places like fast food restaurants or anywhere else. Once youíre in, youíre in for the duration. My husbandís roommate tried to get a job as a driver and was rejected for a variety of reasons one I believe because he wasnít there long enough and another I think because he had restitution. Expect your first job to be either in the kitchen or in facilities. Neither are great options but thatís the most likely and yes everyone has to get a job. You will want a job to keep yourself busy. There are some menial jobs as well but for some the time goes by very slowly. My husband was very proactive in trying to make the best out of a bad situation. He got involved right away into teaching classes just to teach, not for pay or any other benefit but because he wanted to teach. Then he has a job separate from that and he also applied and was accepted in a program to take a class alongside college students. That class is equally mixed between all races and crimes. I think he said he may be the only white collar inmate that was accepted or possibly one other. He is not for a second wasting one second sitting around complaining or dwelling on his mistake. He is accepting responsibility and learning from it. Shaking his head at a lot of the things that donít make sense or inconsistencies but trying to make right for any wrong he did. And hoping to continue with helping in some fashion when he gets out. He helped someone with their resume who is getting soon and does this out of the goodness of his heart. Does not want stamps or anything else in return. Youíll find many others inside are not like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-22-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
No, nobody leaves the camp for any job except if youíre a driver and there are only two people I think that are drivers and they donít get to stop at any extra places like fast food restaurants or anywhere else. Once youíre in, youíre in for the duration. My husbandís roommate tried to get a job as a driver and was rejected for a variety of reasons one I believe because he wasnít there long enough and another I think because he had restitution. Expect your first job to be either in the kitchen or in facilities. Neither are great options but thatís the most likely and yes everyone has to get a job. You will want a job to keep yourself busy. There are some menial jobs as well but for some the time goes by very slowly. My husband was very proactive in trying to make the best out of a bad situation. He got involved right away into teaching classes just to teach, not for pay or any other benefit but because he wanted to teach. Then he has a job separate from that and he also applied and was accepted in a program to take a class alongside college students. That class is equally mixed between all races and crimes. I think he said he may be the only white collar inmate that was accepted or possibly one other. He is not for a second wasting one second sitting around complaining or dwelling on his mistake. He is accepting responsibility and learning from it. Shaking his head at a lot of the things that donít make sense or inconsistencies but trying to make right for any wrong he did. And hoping to continue with helping in some fashion when he gets out. He helped someone with their resume who is getting soon and does this out of the goodness of his heart. Does not want stamps or anything else in return. Youíll find many others inside are not like that.
Thank you, thatís good to know.

Iím shopping around for a correspondence degree. Do you have any recommendations? Iím mostly seeing business and social work, whereas Iíd prefer engineering or science.