Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Illinois prison system.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:28 PM

Angry HB5019 removes ALL 180 days of meritorious good time!

Dennis Reboletti and a bunch of other a-hole Republican state representatives have introduced a bill into the Illinois House to do away with all 180 days of meritorious good time (MGT) effective immediately. If this bill passes, if your inmate has good time coming to him/her they can kiss it goodbye.

The bill is HB5019. It just made it through a small judicial committee (only one person voted no) and now it will be read to the entire house and probably voted on soon. You know most reps would simply vote yes because of the early release debacle that just occurred.

YOU NEED TO CONTACT YOUR STATE REP!!!

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...4&SessionID=76

This bill is awful for several reasons:

1) Cost. The extra 3 or 6 months an inmate will spend in prison will cost Illinois taxpayers A LOT of money. The vast majority of inmates are eligible for all 6 months of MGT. The average yearly cost to house an inmate is $36,000. There are approximately 45,000 inmates. You do the math.

2) Safety of IDOC staff. What incentive will inmates have to behave well if MGT is taken away?

3) Unfairness. By the bill stating "effective immediately", the inmates will keep what good time they got. MGT is doled out differently at each IDOC facility. A lucky inmate who is in a facility that doles it out early might get most or all of the MGT he/she is eligible for. An unlucky inmate who is in a facility that doles out MGT in tiny bits or makes the inmate wait til he/she is very short will end up with little or none.

4) Possibility of lawsuits by inmates who plead, thus costing Illinois taxpayers even more $$$. An inmate who had a plea deal might have been well aware that he/she would be eligible for 3 or 6 months of MGT. Removing the MGT is effectively adding that 3 or 6 months to their sentence, not what they agreed to. Yes, MGT is discretionary, but the vast majority of inmates get all of the MGT they are eligible for, only those who committ notable offenses during their incarceration lose good time. A lawsuit that I feel is similar to this situation was already decided by the Illinois Supreme Court, an inmate who had a plea deal was not told during plea negotiations or at sentencing that he had to do 3 years of MSR (mandatory supervised release) after getting out of prison. He complained that the MSR was effectively extra time that he would have to do. The state supreme court AGREED with him. A person who agrees to a plea deal must understand ALL of the parameters of the deal.

5) Impact on loved ones. This will be the least important to the reps, but I would state it anyway.

Regarding #3 and #4 ... if they really want to get rid of MGT, it should be implemented the way other changed laws are, the new law applies to inmates who committed their crimes on or after the date the bill became law. By implementing it "effective immediately", it applies retroactively, and this could be challenged in court.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to downtownchicago For This Useful Post:
akaptrosa (02-25-2010), DianeDavis (03-12-2010), freeus007 (02-24-2010), Momdux (03-11-2010), sanchezy25 (03-09-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM

I would also contact Michael Randle at IDOC and Governor Patrick Quinn. Tell them thanks a lot for f-ing up the early release so badly. Depending on how angered you are by this, you could tell Quinn in no uncertain terms that if he signs this bill into law you will not vote for him.

Last edited by downtownchicago; 02-24-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Old 02-24-2010, 01:38 PM

bump
Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 PM
At the beach! =)

Thanked 5,133 Times in 1,712 Posts

Well, I won't be voting for him, because I live in Michigan. I'll see what I can do about putting a letter together this weekend. I'll probably mass mail the ones who have e-mail and send a few letters out.

Thanks for keeping us informed!

And whatever things you ask in prayer, BELIEVING, you WILL receive! Matt 21:22
Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 PM

What will i have to tell the state rep? whos the state rep fpr IL?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Sanchezy, go to this web page:

http://www.elections.state.il.us/dis...earchtype.aspx

It's easiest if you search by your address or zip code.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM

I tried but its not giving me a name.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:53 AM

Okay, am I understanding this correctly?...The additional 6 months good time has been suspended even for those already in the process of serving their sentence??...my boo has been in IDOC since November 19, 2009 does that mean he will not be eligible for the 6 months good time??...I thought it was only suspended for new inmates...what the heck

I have been doing my best trying to google this & I can't seem to come up with anything. I think I will try calling Springfeild & probably even his counselor at the prison to see what I can find out because I am lost here. I will definitly share whatever I come up with....cross your fingers ladies.

I hope they don't try to do away with the day-for-day next....whats really going on

"Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breath more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours".

Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Doin' Time as a Family

Yes, Diane as it stands he currently will not be able to get his good time as the entire program has been suspended. You can try to contact the Transfer Coordinator in Springfield for updated information. I stopped calling 2 weeks ago because it was just too depressing to keep hearing no.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zay~Zay View Post
Yes, Diane as it stands he currently will not be able to get his good time as the entire program has been suspended. You can try to contact the Transfer Coordinator in Springfield for updated information. I stopped calling 2 weeks ago because it was just too depressing to keep hearing no.
Okay, everyone. I clicked on the link provided in the original post. And it looks like what they keep referring too is "MGT" meaning "Meritorious Good Time". Okay, so that is the 180 days.

If you go to Illinois Department of Corrections Website, there is 4 types of good time with 2 types being "Meritorious Good Time". The other one is the "Statutory Good Time" which is the the the one that determines whether or not you serve either 50% or 85% of your time i.e. - Violent Offenders, murders, Class X felonies usually have to serve 85% of their time.

Nonviolent offenders usually serve 50% of their time i.e. 6 yrs & eligible for parole in 3yrs. & if they were to continue to get the Meritorious good time, they would be eligible in 2yrs 6 mos on a 6yr sentence.

Or 8yrs = 4 yrs with meritorious good time 3yrs, 6 mos eligible for parole etc.

So from what I can tell, **they have not done anything with the "Satutory Good time"** only the "MGT" (meritorious good time).

Meaning at the moment, no one is eligible for the 6 months early release (180 days).... "Statutory Good Time" & "Earned Good Credit" appears to remain the same.

"Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breath more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours".

Last edited by DianeDavis; 03-12-2010 at 09:30 PM..
Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Everyone I copied & pasted this from Illinois Dept. Of Corrections Website
(see below):

What is Good Time?
There are four types of good time, however not all inmates are eligible for each type.

1.**Statutory Good Time refers to the percentage of time an inmate must spend incarcerated. Some inmates convicted of non-violent crimes must spend 50% of their sentences incarcerated. Others who are convicted of violent crimes must spend 85% of their sentences incarcerated under "truth in sentencing" laws, or 100% if convicted of murder. The inmate's release date is based on the custody date of the crime which is set by the sentencing court.

2.**Meritorious Good Time refers to the discretionary 90-days the director may grant to any inmate based on their behavior while incarcerated. Please note that the award of meritorious good time is not automatic, it is at the discretion of the director.

3.**Supplemental Meritorious Good Time refers to a second block of 90-days that the director may award to nonviolent offenders. Again, it is not automatic and inmates convicted of violent crimes and Class X crimes are not eligible. Meritorious good time must be earned before supplemental meritorious good time will be considered.

4.**Earned Good Conduct Credit refers to time earned by an inmate for participation in education, drug treatment or Illinois Correctional Industries programs. Again, not all inmates are eligible; inmates convicted of violent and Class X crimes are not eligible. Inmates earn one-half day off their sentence for each day of participation in such programs if they successfully complete the programs (Example: if an eligible inmate completes a drug treatment program that is 30-days in duration, he may be awarded 15-days off his sentence).

Now I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the "Statutory Good Time" & "Earned Good Conduct Credit" has not been changed only the other two, which would be the 180 days. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have not yet called Springfield or his Counselor, I just got this information from the above link in the OP & IDOC website, as well as various news articles. It looks as though only the "MGT" is going to be effected & not the Statutory or Earned Good Credit. Again, I will post again once I have called his counselor & Springfeild.

I would *LOVE* to have that additional 6 months good time, don't get me wrong, but as long as I can have him home in 2yrs tops, I'll just be thankful for what I can get & whose to say that eventually this won't die down & they won't get it anyway. We just gotta cross our fingers & pray & stay positive. Again, someone correct me if I seem to be misunderstanding this. Thanks & good luck everyone.

Last edited by DianeDavis; 03-12-2010 at 09:23 PM..
Old 03-12-2010, 09:52 PM

It is not listed as news on the IDOC website, but the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Quinn fired three top IDOC officials today, but not Randle: the IDOC Chief of Staff, a top assistant, and the IDOC administrator for Northern IL. It is unknown if they are taking the heat for the problems with early release
The Following User Says Thank You to freeus007 For This Useful Post:
DianeDavis (03-12-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Ok so i've been reading online too, about the good time suspension, and it says on the IDOC website that inmates are still allowed to earn good time credit AFTER 61 days of serving their time, and they are supposed to give 14 days notice to the place where they will be going home to.
But when i seen my friend the other day, he said that there was no good time credit and it all has been suspended. And then i found this. So im very confused and not exactly sure what it going on.
He was supposed to be released in december, but some paperwork got messed up then he was sent to menard and was ONLY supposed to serve 30 days in january. NOW they have banned all good time so he is stuck until may 12.
My point is, can he be recieve good time AFTER the 61 days still? or is he stuck in there till may? he has been in since june. I hope someone can help me figure it out...
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou-lou151 View Post
Ok so i've been reading online too, about the good time suspension, and it says on the IDOC website that inmates are still allowed to earn good time credit AFTER 61 days of serving their time, and they are supposed to give 14 days notice to the place where they will be going home to.
But when i seen my friend the other day, he said that there was no good time credit and it all has been suspended. And then i found this. So im very confused and not exactly sure what it going on.
***He was supposed to be released in december, but some paperwork got messed up then he was sent to menard and was ONLY supposed to serve 30 days in january. ***NOW they have banned all good time so he is stuck until may 12.
My point is, can he be recieve good time AFTER the 61 days still? or is he stuck in there till may? he has been in since june. I hope someone can help me figure it out...
Basically, it sounds like he's not getting the Meritorious Good Time to me.... ...I have no clue & that's just a guess but considering he is going to be there 5 mos. longer than anticipated (Dec. to May), that's what it sounds like.

Unless the suspension is lifted on the MGT sounds like he will be there until May.

But again, that's just my guess. Maybe as others read, they can give you a better answer. Sorry & good luck to you.

**EDIT - Yes, I have also read where they have to serve at least 61 days before eligible for good time however, with meritorious good time currently suspended, I doubt it will matter.

Last edited by DianeDavis; 03-12-2010 at 11:34 PM..
Old 03-13-2010, 01:24 PM

I love the way these assholes (Quinn et. al.) punish everyone because THEY had their heads up their asses.

Caribou, if my husband were in your guy's situation I would be screaming mad and I would be on the phone daily calling Quinn's office, Randle's office, and my state rep and senator.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:59 PM

Can somebody help me get the state rep number, please?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezy25 View Post
Can somebody help me get the state rep number, please?
Your state representative and senator are based on where you live. You're going to have to plug in your address onto that web page I linked to in my prior post. Or click on "Contact Us" and call them.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:41 PM

Oh trust me, i called his counselor everyday in december asking what the problem was. I would call the governor, but he is obviously an asshole that only cares about what will make him look good to win an election. I do need to call someone who knows what is going on though, because i want to get to the bottom of this. I would like him to be home before may because our 2 yr anniversary is coming up. And prom. Two very important things he was SUPPOSED to be here for. Thanks illinois for sucking so much! Can someone give me and name and number to someone i should call?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 AM
At the beach! =)

Thanked 5,133 Times in 1,712 Posts

There is a petition online now. If you google "Restore good time in Illinois" the link will come up. Spread the word, because the more people who sign it... the more they will take us seriously!

And whatever things you ask in prayer, BELIEVING, you WILL receive! Matt 21:22
Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 PM

i sent emails to everyone i know!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Missing my BabyRhew

I have a side question, what about the inmates there took a plea deal with MGT as part of it an it is now suspended? This is what is not fair, or are they going to let those inmates have their MGT? I keep reading an reading anything I can find an Rhew writes me daily asking what I found out new. I have nothing to tell him since when I call the state rep. I get "ok ma'am I will let them know you are against the bill." I really just want to talk to someone besides some assistant that is proubly a 19 year old intern an (no offense they need to learn) but has really no clue what is really going on.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 AM

I personally think it's a legal issue for inmates who had plead. If MGT is taken away permanently and an inmate has enough time left on the sentence to sue (at least 2 years), I think he/she should do it. Force the issue.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:13 PM
former inmate

MGT is not a part of any plea agreement. the courts have no control over IDOC policy and cannot guarantee an inmate of anything after they are sentenced. an inmate has NO grounds for suit just because they stopped MGT. oh and by the way probably 98% of inmates have pleas.
I am sorry but if they stop MGT permanently the inmates have no recourse what so ever.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 AM

i found this website where they are doing a petition to reinstate good time
Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 AM

i have to have 15poste before i can post the link