Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Illinois prison system.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:02 PM

Default Weger wronged !!

Amateur sleuth says they've got the wrong guy

A part time Ottawa hairdresser has been doing more than giving permanents and cutting bangs for the past five years she also has been trying to punch holes in the case against imprisoned starved rock slayer Chester weger

They needed someone to pin it on so they framed Chester said Melissa lee as she sat in her shop last week with a folder in her lap the folder didn’t contain photos of her latest hairstyles but rather copies of notes news stories and correspondence about the 1960 murders, which rocked LaSalle county and sent tremors across the nation

Eventually reaching the offices of life magazine where the story was put on the publications cover when Lee now a 33 year old mother of four moved 15 years ago from Glendale heights to LaSalle county she had never heard of the tragedy that had once stained starved rocks beauty with blood

However that changed when she said she met one of Chester’s nephews who claimed that weger was innocent she said she didn’t completely buy the nephews tale but nevertheless visited st. Louis canyon the scene of the triple killing to study the setting

I went out to the rock and didn’t see how one man did it the cave where the bodies were found was too high up there lee said she later teamed up for research with bob petre 54 year old half way house supervisor from Utica who shared her belief that weger was the patsy

The whole thing doesn’t make sense there are a lot of red flags petre observed lee also started a correspondence with weger about five years ago around the time wegers sister who lives in Oglesby asked lee to help

He’s very smart for being in there that long and at his age he hasn’t forgotten any names or details he’s sticking by his story lee noted in describing wegers writings

Despite having exchanged about 50 letters lee said weger refused her request to visit him in prison telling her that it was no place for a women however lee did set eyes on the object of her crusade in November 2002 when the gray hair weger returned to LaSalle county circuit court for a hearing

I saw Chester there and I thought what if that were my grandfather in prison for something he did not do lee recalled when appellate defender Donna Kelly took over the case last year lee and petre went to Kelly with their findings and thoughts lee said that their information spurred Kelly to file a motion in April that sought DNA testing of evidence still held by authorities Kelly withdrew the motion last week saying the evidence could not be tested

Because it was contaminated Kelly remained consistent Thursday by refusing to talk about the case lee voiced disappointment that the testing will not be done but is pinning her hopes to an online petition drive as of Thursday there were 70 names mostly of local people listed on the petition

When asked what would convince her of Wegers guilt lee replied that a DNA link would do it she also explains away Wegers confession and re enactment of the crime as having been forced on him by police three of the men involved in putting Weger away for life Harland warren Peter Ferrecutti Anthony Raccuglia say they are unshaken in their belief that the right man is behind bars

Despite much evidence that supports their position lee thinks they got the wrong man

printed by the daily times Friday July 23, 2004
Attached Images
File Type: jpg melissa.jpg (19.0 KB, 324 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2004, 10:19 PM

I've heard of this story from my boyfriend, who is from the general area and was about 10 when the murders happened, but I've been unable to find any actual stories about the crime. Do you have any links?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnee70 View Post
I've heard of this story from my boyfriend, who is from the general area and was about 10 when the murders happened, but I've been unable to find any actual stories about the crime. Do you have any links?
Google... "LaSalle County Online - Rocky Weger"

Last edited by Illinois; 05-23-2008 at 12:13 AM..
Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnee70 View Post
There is a book about the actual story called: "The Starved Rock Murders (Paperback) by Steve Stout (Author)"
Old 05-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,593 Times in 2,182 Posts

I have heard this story and its an interesting story, did they ever do a movie about it or no?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 AM

Yes, Cass Productions filmed a documentary about the Starved Rock murders.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 AM

I also know much about this story. All I have to say is this.... there has been and is a huge amount of corruption in that county. There are too many people in positions of power there who should NOT be. This county will face a major civil lawsuit very soon after they wrongfully accused and convicted another innocent man. Many are awaiting the breaking story and the Appellate verdict!

Last edited by Bull_and_Smurf; 05-30-2008 at 07:45 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bull_and_Smurf For This Useful Post:
Illinois (12-03-2008), momfoxx (12-02-2008)
Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 PM

"Committee wants to 'free Weger'

Friday, September 05, 2008

By Allison Ryan
svreporter@newstrib.com
Forty-seven years ago, Chester “Otto” Weger entered the Illinois Department of Corrections, convicted of murdering three women in St. Louis Canyon, Starved Rock, on March 14, 1960.
After moving to prisons around the state and numerous rejections by parole boards, Weger will hear next week whether he can be released from prison. Members of the newly-formed Committee to Free Chester Weger think he has a pretty good chance after new evidence was accepted by the parole board last week.
Bob Petre of Utica opened the committee’s first meeting Thursday with a prayer for the families of all the victims, including Weger, then went right to the business of explaining the evidence he believed could set Weger free.
The “new” evidence Petre cited centers on two written statements from the 1960: the original confession — Petre alleges Weger read it to the court reporter, rather than giving a free statement — and a newspaper article published in the Daily NewsTribune during the investigation. The article quotes state police Sgt. Michael Frankovitch as saying: “We know there were persons in St. Louis canyon each of the two days before the murder and the day following the murder. They have come forward and we have talked to them.” Petre interpreted the statement to mean there were no bodies found in the canyon on that day.
Believing Weger to be innocent, Petre, along with Deedra Fox of Oglesby and David Walsh of Ottawa, also listed many components of the case they believed were handled incorrectly or not fully considered during the trial, such as the amount of blood on Weger’s coat, which they believed to be too little for the gruesome bludgeoning and possible stabbing of three grown women. They lamented the decision by area police to stop seeking a match for a “perfect thumbprint” found at the scene, or matches for two samples of hair found in one of the women’s hands.
“Murders happen every day,” Petre said. His pursuit of the Weger case, he said, stemmed from his realization that “nothing added up.”
“I believe the whole thing was scripted. It was planned … He was their patsy, he was their puppet,” Fox said.
Fox, who said she had never met Weger until last week’s parole hearing, said there are several reasons to believe Weger has a good chance of receiving parole this time around. She was encouraged because the parole board accepted the committee’s “new” evidence, because Weger has been moved to a lower security prison and allowed to socialize, and because an “agent” had been sent to visit his daughter’s home, possibly checking to make sure Weger would have a place to go."
Found the above information at: http://www.newstrib.com/articles/new...6184A56128F2F0
The Following User Says Thank You to Illinois For This Useful Post:
momfoxx (12-02-2008)
Old 09-09-2008, 03:56 AM
traci

And whats he goingto get when they release him? An ooops, we are sorry. We had the wrong guy all these years. Thats a bunch of BS. I hope he sues Illinois for all its worth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to without_lace2 For This Useful Post:
Illinois (12-03-2008), momfoxx (12-02-2008)
Old 10-10-2008, 10:39 AM

I know this case very well, not only have I read the Starved Rock Murders book but I am related by marriage to his daughter, son and grandchildren. His wife died on my wedding day in 1996. His daughter and sons 1/2 sister was one of my bridesmaids. Does anyone realize what this wrongful conviction has done to his family? His family has been scrutenized and judged so unfairly since all of this. I hope for their sake that they do parole him or over-turn the conviction. They deserve the chance to look at all of the disgusting and rude people in LaSalle with such disdain as they have received.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trishhhhh For This Useful Post:
Illinois (12-03-2008)
Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishhhhh View Post
I know this case very well, not only have I read the Starved Rock Murders book but I am related by marriage to his daughter, son and grandchildren. His wife died on my wedding day in 1996. His daughter and sons 1/2 sister was one of my bridesmaids. Does anyone realize what this wrongful conviction has done to his family? His family has been scrutenized and judged so unfairly since all of this. I hope for their sake that they do parole him or over-turn the conviction. They deserve the chance to look at all of the disgusting and rude people in LaSalle with such disdain as they have received.
What are you talking about?! You say: "They deserve the chance to look at all of the disgusting and rude people in LaSalle with such disdain as they have received." In La Salle County they have formed a.... Committee to Free Chester Weger!!!! Please, don't take out your anger on the people of La Salle County. You need to take it out on the Illinois Prisoner Review Board and the family of Lillian Oetting, they are the ones to go after.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Unhappy

Sadly to report.... "Weger denied parole

Friday, September 26, 2008

By Tom Collins
courtreporter@newstrib.com
The Starved Rock murderer will stay behind bars.
The Illinois Prisoner Review Board voted unanimously Thursday to deny parole to Chester Weger, 69, who will resume serving a life sentence for the 1960 murder of Lillian Oetting.
However, Weger will be up for parole again in 2009. Ken Tupy, legal counsel for the review board, said the board opted for a 2009 hearing so they can revisit Weger’s health.

Diane Oetting, granddaughter of Lillian Oetting, said she and her family were “very pleased.” When asked if she and her family would again oppose Weger’s release in 2009, Oetting replied: “We’ll be back — every time.”
Anthony Raccuglia, who prosecuted Weger, said he was pleased with the parole board’s decision.
“I certainly, as a human being, don’t revel (if) he is ill and suffering,” Raccuglia said. “Nevertheless, what he did was very serious and he needs to pay the price.”
Weger had actually confessed to three murders, including Oetting’s two companions, Frances Murphy and Mildred Lindquist. But he recanted his confession and his complicity has been the subject of continual debate.
One group of supporters, the Committee to Free Chester Weger, went to Springfield to hear the board’s decision."

Found the above information at: http://www.newstrib.com/articles/news/lo....55027A8E7F1D0BD
Old 10-17-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois View Post
What are you talking about?! You say: "They deserve the chance to look at all of the disgusting and rude people in LaSalle with such disdain as they have received." In La Salle County they have formed a.... Committee to Free Chester Weger!!!! Please, don't take out your anger on the people of La Salle County. You need to take it out on the Illinois Prisoner Review Board and the family of Lillian Oetting, they are the ones to go after.
I apologize for generalizing. I simply meant the people that have purposely smirked and murmured (spelling?) hatefull things to his poor family. ~~Trish
The Following User Says Thank You to Trishhhhh For This Useful Post:
Illinois (12-03-2008)
Old 10-17-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I apologize for generalizing. I simply meant the people that have purposely smirked and murmured (spelling?) hatefull things to his poor family. ~~Trish
No prob! Yo, I can't stand people like that. Just ignore them, if what they are saying isn't true don't stress yourself out. Thank God, in La Salle County the family has a "Committee to Free Chester Weger" to help them out.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 PM

Default the committee to free chester weger needs your help. email removed per pto policy

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to momfoxx For This Useful Post:
Illinois (12-03-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM

the committee to free chester weger needs all your information on the story. momfoxx54@yahoo.com
The Following User Says Thank You to momfoxx For This Useful Post:
Illinois (12-03-2008)
Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momfoxx View Post
the committee to free chester weger needs all your information on the story. momfoxx54@yahoo.com
Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 AM

I'm sure this would be a great article if the writer used punctuation. It's impossible to read anything that doesn't have a period at the end of each sentence. I like to read without having to figure out where one sentence ends and another begins.
The Following User Says Thank You to t_a_l For This Useful Post:
Illinois (08-15-2009)
Old 08-15-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_a_l View Post
I'm sure this would be a great article if the writer used punctuation. It's impossible to read anything that doesn't have a period at the end of each sentence. I like to read without having to figure out where one sentence ends and another begins.
You will have to PM missylee and let her know. She is the one who started this thread.