Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Default Question about arraignment - Montgomery County Jail Texas

My son has been in Montgomery County for a little over a week. I understand that it will take about a month for his arraignment. Just wondering if they will notify my son or if I have to keep checking with the D.A. He's been charged with a 3rd degree felony if that helps any.

Thanks,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Son to Afghanistan 11/11
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,288 Posts

Hi Lisa... They notified my son while he was in county as to when his court date was. Montgomery county might be different, but thought I would tell you what happened with us.

Best of luck to you and your family and let us know how it goes....

Tracy

Formerly Known as Joshiesmom
Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks Tracy. Honesty, my greatest fear right now is that he gets more comfortable being incarcerated than being on the outside. He doesn't have to work, pay rent, etc. Sounds kind of crazy, but I'm sure it happens. He's only 23 so I'm hoping this doesn't become more of a pattern than it is already (it's his second felony arrest).
Old 06-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Son to Afghanistan 11/11
Donation Award 

I hear you, hun..TRUST me, I do. But TDC is not a place anyone WANTS to be... I hope. Maybe some "old timers" that have been in and out their whole lives and that is all they know.

It sounds like he has a caring Mom and people that want the best for him. Maybe this will just be the wake up call he needs ( I hope not a long wake up call). It was for my son. So far.

It doesn't sound crazy at all... promise. If you haven't found the "Parents with Children in Prison" forum out on the main page..there are a whole bunch of parents, just like us that have "been there, done that". It is a good place to visit.

Tracy

Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 PM

Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,974 Posts

I think that it is incumbent upon the court to let him and his attorney know when his arraignment is scheduled. Guess that doesn't mean they may not follow through or not be in a big hurry to let him know, though, and calling yourself may be the quickest way to find out once it is set.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 AM

I can't believe what I just heard. Actually I should believe it. I called the D.A.'s office last week and they told me my son had to wait till his arraignment to request an atty. I called today to check on a court date and there's still no date. I decided to go ahead and call the Office of Indigent Defense and they told me that was not correct. They'll be calling him via video conference today or tomorrow to get him qualified and assign an atty to his case.

Now I'm starting to understand why it's important to have someon on the outside who can help with some of these matters. The defense office couldn't believe what the D.A.'s office told me. I knew they would't "help" me, but I had no idea they would outright lie. I guess I'll be learning a lot about the system. I'm sure my son will be thrilled to see that something is finally happening. (Ok, I shouldn't say finally, he's only been there for 1-1/2 weeks).

Thanks for the suggestion to keep calling. The defense office told me I can call tomorrow and they'll have an atty assigned and they can give me the info.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Son to Afghanistan 11/11
Donation Award 

I think you are going to find that this is "the norm". Different answers depending on who and when you call. You can call the same office and get two different answers, just depending on who answers the phone.

It sounds like you will be diligent in keeping up with what is going on and to get your questions answered, so you just keep it up. Never accept just one answer when you are seeking information from the State of Texas... ya know?

Good for you!

Tracy

Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks Tracy. I'm starting to learn I will have to stay on top of this stuff.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 AM

As a former county jail employee, they never told the inmates what exact date they were going to court for security purposes. They will tell them within a certain time frame i.e "you will be going to court next week". Keeps things from happening that outsiders can help with.