Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default SQ Visitation & Dress Code Thread

If itís about visiting, dress code or visiting approval it goes here.
This thread is for INFO, Q&A ONLY.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM
MISSING MY BABY

Since its been raining and all are we allowed to bring a hoodie to visit or what about scarves? or is that a no go on scarves? i'm trying to keep dry and warm haha. thanks ladies
Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENIK View Post
Since its been raining and all are we allowed to bring a hoodie to visit or what about scarves? or is that a no go on scarves? i'm trying to keep dry and warm haha. thanks ladies
I have seen scarves allowed and rejected so it is a crap shot on that one. You are allowed to where a coat (or hoodie) with a hood as long as the hood is not detachable (not that they check too closely on it). You may where a CLEAR rain poncho and they are sticklers about it be clear.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 AM

I know blue denim is not allowed. But black, non faded denim jeans are allowed. But what about other colors, specifically all these bright colored jeans that are out in all the stores right now? Or the flowered printed jeans that are out? I have some flowered pants....I guess they are jeans, but are not blue denim, and really don't seem like jeans. More so like regular pants.

Last edited by rosebud04; 04-04-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Hello. When I had a visit in Sept, I got 13 hours total over three days, because I traveled long distance. My man just got the notification for my visit for next month, and we got 12 hrs this time. I am still coming from long distance. What is the right amount? Is it 12 or 13? If it is 13, should I call and ask to have an hour added? What number do I call, and who do I talk to? This is a condemned visit. Thanks!!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Never mind :-). I got the answer through PM. The correct amount is 12 hrs. I guess we got lucky last sept, when they gave us 13!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 PM
5'3 High And Rising

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts

Yes ladies it is 12 hours. If you would like to request addtional time on a extended visit you can make a request upon arrival. If they have available open slots they should be able to accomodate you.
rosebud04 (04-09-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Daddys Trompuda

Hi ladies.. my bro.in law is in reception how do we go about visiting him?? Any help?

♥His soon to be wifey♥
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pz-Guerita View Post
Hi ladies.. my bro.in law is in reception how do we go about visiting him?? Any help?

♥His soon to be wifey♥
I have never had to visit my man in reception at SQ, so I am not for certain about the exact procedure....but I know for sure, first, send in a visiting application, so you can get approved to visit. He can send you the form. They will notify you if you are approved or denied, by a letter.

Honestly, I had just typed up a long response lol, and realized I only really know visiting guidelines for condemned and for coming from over 250 miles. So, I just deleted it lol. I think it is different for reception, and for those coming from close distances.

I think, you used to have to call in a week before, but now I think they have something set up online. Called VPass or something. IDK though...I never use it because I only do extended visits, because I come from a long distance.

I'm sure someone will come along and fill you in!!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Default extended visits

Rosebud, how do you get extended visits? I'm coming from LA for the first time, I have no idea what to do.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by his-sunshine View Post
Rosebud, how do you get extended visits? I'm coming from LA for the first time, I have no idea what to do.

Thanks
I got your PM...so I just replied to you!

But for anyone else...here you go. Though, are mainline long distance visiting rules the same as condemned long distance rules, right? This is what I do for condemned long distance visiting.

Figure out what three days you want to visit. It will be a Thu, Sat and Sun. Write the Visiting Department 30 days prior to the intended visit. Let them know you are travellling from "where you are from, which is how ever many miles that is from SQ," and that you are requesting an extended visit for the specific dates. I also let them know I am sending a SASE, so they can send me the written approval visiting notifcation, that they give to the inmates. So, I have one for my records. Your man will get one first. I don't think they send you one if you dont include a SASE. I also include my number and let them know they can call me if they have any questions or anything like that.

SQ seems to be fast with getting the approvals out. I sent mine in last month, and my man got the approval in writing about a week later. I received mine a day after he got his.

You will get 12 hours, spread over 3 days. The times can vary, but it seems usually Thur and Sat, they are each between 5-6 hrs long. And then the final day is shorter, being only 2 hrs or so. Sometimes you can ask one of the processing officers if there is extra room, for you to have an extra hour or so. Ask them this while you are being processed for the visit.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 AM

Thanked 1,014 Times in 477 Posts

Can someone give me a link to parking lot directions when you arrive for visiting? I will be visiting my son for the first time. Also, after parking, what is the procedure to check in when you have an appointment? (I remember how confused I was the first times I visited him at his former prison).

Thank you.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 PM
5'3 High And Rising

Donation Award 

Hi Marie I dont think that there is any parking instructions but you always arrive 30 min before
marie8899 (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Thanked 1,014 Times in 477 Posts

I thought I saw a link somewhere, in the past, as to where to park, etc.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM

I have a question I hope someone can answer. I got an email from vpass saying northern hispanics are on lockdown but I got a call from my husband last night & he said they weren't. Is it only a certain area because they didn't specify in the email. We want to go visit tmw! Thanks!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:41 PM
5'3 High And Rising

Donation Award 

I wouldnt make that drive and not be certain I would call
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Hey, so a few years ago I was visiting someone in SQ reception and paid absolutely no attention to mainline visiting. Now I'm filling out a visiting application for someone who is in general population and I can't find any of the fantastic information that used to be posted here.
Questions I have:
1. This whole vpass thing is new- Do I need an appointment for gp contact visits? Do they have certain walk-in times for people who don't have appointments?
2. I know the whole clear plastic purse routine, but what and how much money can I bring in? I remember going to the bank for $1 coins for Corcoran, do I need to do that for SQ too?
3. At Corcoran the inmate had to get photo ducats at canteen but I remember seeing a machine just past the metal detectors at SQ.
4. Anything changes in dress code in the last 2 years? Can I wear earrings?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduced View Post
Hey, so a few years ago I was visiting someone in SQ reception and paid absolutely no attention to mainline visiting. Now I'm filling out a visiting application for someone who is in general population and I can't find any of the fantastic information that used to be posted here.
Questions I have:
1. This whole vpass thing is new- Do I need an appointment for gp contact visits? Do they have certain walk-in times for people who don't have appointments?
2. I know the whole clear plastic purse routine, but what and how much money can I bring in? I remember going to the bank for $1 coins for Corcoran, do I need to do that for SQ too?
3. At Corcoran the inmate had to get photo ducats at canteen but I remember seeing a machine just past the metal detectors at SQ.
4. Anything changes in dress code in the last 2 years? Can I wear earrings?

Thanks
Hello. I'm not sure about vpass or general population, bc I visit from long distances, and I visit condemned. But I can help with the other questions.

You can bring $30, in quarters and singles. There is a change machine in the visiting processing center, so if you want, you can bring 5s, 10s or a 20, to make change.

Yes, there is a photo ducat machine in the visiting processing, before you go through the metal detectors. They cost two dollars each. Inmates can purchase them too, though, through canteen. I noticed on a Sunday though, the machine was out of tokens, though.

Yes, you can wear earrings. I wear lots of jewelry. Watch, rings, big earrings, long necklaces, bangle bracelets, etc. You just will have to remove it all before the metal detector.

I don't think anything has changed in 2 yrs, for the dresscode.

Enjoy your visit.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:35 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Donation Award 

I thought that you can bring in 50 dollars??? Has it changed???
Old 05-18-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj663 View Post
I thought that you can bring in 50 dollars??? Has it changed???
Dang lol!! Really? I must have forgot! For some reason when i went this month, I thought and brought 30! But if you have brought 50 and got in, then I guess that's right! No wonder it seemed like my money went quick this time lol, I'm sure I brought 50 last visit lol.

Can a mod change my post from 30 to 50, so the info is correct, please?

Last edited by rosebud04; 05-18-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM

Hey! Thanks for the info. I always get so stressed out when I don't know what I'm doing...
Old 06-01-2013, 01:52 AM
Tic wife

Hello Ladies i am new to this so i am asking how is visitation at San Quentin. What the visiting room is like. what is the do's and the don'ts is it different from other prisons. What is the limitations. What hotel is closest and where do the wives get together at.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Newsome View Post
Hello Ladies i am new to this so i am asking how is visitation at San Quentin. What the visiting room is like. what is the do's and the don'ts is it different from other prisons. What is the limitations. What hotel is closest and where do the wives get together at.
Hi Mrs. Newsome, welcome to PTO.

If you read the or post in 2012 SQ Visitation and Dresscode thread in the SQ Forum here, that will be more of a help. This thread is just for Family Visiting, which are over night visits, you may have heard of them as 'conjugal visits.'

The 2012 and 2011 SQ Visitation threads will be of help, too.

I haven't personally stayed in them, but I believe the closest motels are Motel 6, The Travel Lodge and Extended Stay, all in San Rafeal. I believe they are all 1 mile away. I'm not sure where wives get together, do you mean as a 'hang out' after the visit?

I have never dealt with other prisons, so IDK how visits at SQ differ.

I visit condemned, so it's different from mainline. I don't know what that room looks like.

Are there specific questions that you have?

Last edited by rosebud04; 06-01-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,796 Times in 14,064 Posts

Its been several yrs since I have visited.
But I will say the parking lot is easy to find. Its just below the visit processing spot.
Park and go up the stairs. There are two lines. One is for appts (this may now be different with the vpass system, I just dont know)

Since my hub was in reception there, I didnt need money for anything.
As I understand it, its IS 50.00 now.
reception visits are behind glass, and stink. lol. You sit on one side, him on the other. They have chairs for you to sit on, but either the chairs are short or I am, cause I had to semi/sit/kneel on the chair to hear my hub out of the little intercom thingy.

Friends outside (or other thing, I forgot the name) is up and around the corner on a different street. I had to walk/run up there the first time I visited to get a bra without metal in it (thought the one I had didnt have metal. but it did)
And by up I mean UP (hill)

Reception visits were an hr. (but one of our visits was longer....)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Tic wife

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud04 View Post
Hi Mrs. Newsome, welcome to PTO.

If you read the or post in 2012 SQ Visitation and Dresscode thread in the SQ Forum here, that will be more of a help. This thread is just for Family Visiting, which are over night visits, you may have heard of them as 'conjugal visits.'

The 2012 and 2011 SQ Visitation threads will be of help, too.

I haven't personally stayed in them, but I believe the closest motels are Motel 6, The Travel Lodge and Extended Stay, all in San Rafeal. I believe they are all 1 mile away. I'm not sure where wives get together, do you mean as a 'hang out' after the visit?

I have never dealt with other prisons, so IDK how visits at SQ differ.

I visit condemned, so it's different from mainline. I don't know what that room looks like.

Are there specific questions that you have?
Hey thanks well i don't know what yard he is going to be on but my husband is a lifer so i was wondering about the visit there and how they would be. I wanted to how the visiting rooms were. Are they hard on what u wear, do they be tripping on u holding hands, do have a patio are u stay inside the whole time. I was just wondering if the prison was a good one or not. And are u able to enjoy ur visits. He will be entering a college programs so i wanted to know how is that prison and city cause i am lost right now. So any information that u can give me i will appreciate it. Just any information would help even on the parking.

Last edited by Mrs.Newsome; 06-03-2013 at 09:37 PM..