Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:10 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,185 Times in 14,001 Posts

I believe whether or not to do background checks on housing applicants should be up to the landlord. From the article:

Quote:
Rachel Goodman, staff attorney with the ACLU Racial Justice Program, told Newsweek that there are a couple of thousand programs similar to Savannah's all around the U.S.“We are particularly concerned about Crime Free Housing Program where municipalities instruct private landlords to perform criminal history screening,” she said.

Ya'll bickering one side of a two-sided coin.

If the landlord has the right to conduct criminal background checks, s/he should also have the right Not to conduct background checks. If our private landlord was ordered by the city/county to run a background check and deny housing based on that background check, My Mr & I would be out in the cold. We're both convicted felons.

EDIT: And for the life of me I just don't understand some of the comments I've read here in this thread I had to go back and read our Community Purpose:

Quote:
PTO Community Purpose
The purpose of the Prison Talk Online community is Prisoner & Family Support, Information and Assistance.
While we encourage interest from people with a range of viewpoints seeking to learn more, anything beyond a genuine, friendly dialog is not welcome.

People who are (or were) involved with the Prison System find that they encounter a wide range of difficulties and challenges.
PTO was founded as a forum to help family members cope with these experiences; through the provision of non-judgmental support and the sharing of information.

PTO is not the place to debate whether or not anyone should be in prison, should prisoners and their families have rights or what kind of punishments should be meted out to the guilty.

We look forward to seeing you posting in the forums and hope that we can help you with any issues that you may be experiencing.

Last edited by patchouli; 02-13-2018 at 03:18 PM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-13-2018), choclgs (02-14-2018), fbopnomore (02-13-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-13-2018), GaReform (02-14-2018), LifeTraveler (02-14-2018), Nickel Timer (02-14-2018), nimuay (02-14-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,945 Times in 2,153 Posts

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
i believe whether or not to do background checks on housing applicants should be up to the landlord. From the article:

ya'll bickering one side of a two-sided coin.

If the landlord has the right to conduct criminal background checks, s/he should also have the right not to conduct background checks. If our private landlord was ordered by the city/county to run a background check and deny housing based on that background check, my mr & i would be out in the cold. We're both convicted felons.

edit: And for the life of me i just don't understand some of the comments i've read here in this thread I had to go back and read our community purpose:

Fridyrr.Likn (02-14-2018), patchouli (02-14-2018)