Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Colorado that do not fit into any other Colorado sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM

Default No meal if have visitation

When I visit my LO, he does not receive the mid day meal. Not even a sack lunch after visitation. I acknowledge the fact there are vending machines in the visitation area. As far as I can tell, upon reviewing meal AR, he should still be given a meal. We had never really thought anything about this until we witnessed a non contact visit inmate being served a hot tray during his visit! Has anyone ever questioned this?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM

Thanked 4,747 Times in 2,510 Posts

Are you in Florida? I did years ago and my husband was like are you nuts who wants that shit!!! He could get pretty much gourmet from the commissary at visit compared to prison food!! We used to buy the guy who worked in visiting lunch because that's what he got and I felt sorry for him. So why would you want your person to get a lunch when you could buy them something better?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Are you in Florida? I did years ago and my husband was like are you nuts who wants that shit!!! He could get pretty much gourmet from the commissary at visit compared to prison food!! We used to buy the guy who worked in visiting lunch because that's what he got and I felt sorry for him. So why would you want your person to get a lunch when you could buy them something better?
I have to assume her LO is in Colorado since this is posted in Colorado.

To the OP: Sorry, I don't know the answer. You could always contact the facility and inquire. I'm only really familiar with AZ and the Feds. In AZ there's no hot lunch served on weekends and most holidays.

Last edited by Fridyrr.Likn; 02-13-2018 at 10:38 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (02-13-2018), xolady (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
He is in Colorado. The food available is out of vending machines. It's also expensive and not very good. At least they have added salads
The Following User Says Thank You to JDM001 For This Useful Post:
xolady (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 15,325 Times in 5,795 Posts

We're in Cali, but he doesn't get lunch when we have a visit, either. And when he's been celled-up with someone who doesn't get visits or have outside support, he's usually given his breakfast tray to them on visit days, as well. I get what you're saying-- they're allowed for X number of meals a day in the budget, they're supposed to provide X number of calories to each inmate per day. When they don't get a meal, that saves the DOC money. But I don't think it's uncommon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-13-2018), JDM001 (02-13-2018), xolady (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM001 View Post
He is in Colorado. The food available is out of vending machines. It's also expensive and not very good. At least they have added salads
I'm sure it isn't very good, but generally anything is better then prison food!! I know just how expensive it is too. I would always get the hot dogs, and let hubs get whatever he wanted!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I'm sure it isn't very good, but generally anything is better then prison food!! I know just how expensive it is too. I would always get the hot dogs, and let hubs get whatever he wanted!!
He would actually prefer a sack lunch!! Funny huh?!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 15,325 Times in 5,795 Posts

Quote:
I think mine is there, too. The food prices are so high we don't eat much and it's incredibly repetitive because of the few selections we can afford. I think the novelty of vending machine food wore off after the first full year of regular visits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-13-2018), His_Queen13 (02-14-2018), JDM001 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
LOL yeah it is that was my biggest beef with my husband about prison, the food! But he ended up dying of colon cancer so maybe he was right, the food there was bad for them as he always told me. I know when I was in a county jail visits were at dinner time they always put back trays for the inmates who had visits.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
LOL yeah it is that was my biggest beef with my husband about prison, the food! But he ended up dying of colon cancer so maybe he was right, the food there was bad for them as he always told me. I know when I was in a county jail visits were at dinner time they always put back trays for the inmates who had visits.
Sorry for your loss of your husband. My LO won't eat the chicken legs. He says they are all the left one's haha The rumors (general public) about the left leg being where they used to inject chickens with hormones, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDM001 For This Useful Post:
xolady (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Sorry for your loss of your husband. My LO won't eat the chicken legs. He says they are all the left one's haha The rumors (general public) about the left leg being where they used to inject chickens with hormones, etc.
Thank you. Yours is probably right!!! I won't eat chicken unless it's antibiotic & hormone free.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
I have to assume her LO is in Colorado since this is posted in Colorado.

To the OP: Sorry, I don't know the answer. You could always contact the facility and inquire. I'm only really familiar with AZ and the Feds. In AZ there's no hot lunch served on weekends and most holidays.
I am always leery of contacting the facility. I do not want to cause any issues for my friend. I am starting to get comfortable with asking questions now - 2 years in! This forum has helped with that It was the hot tray delivery to the inmate- that was in segregation due to an infraction and still permitted a non-contact visit- that made me question the lack of a meal. The facility has scheduled visitation. They should have the count of meals for the day - with a variance factored in. In looking at the AR, the supervision of the meal would be no different than what is already in place during visitation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDM001 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-13-2018), xolady (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:02 PM

The majority of offenders prefer the vending machine food. He will not get a meal brought to him in the visiting room. Those that get non contact visits will be offered a meal because they can't have vending machine food. If you call the facility I'm pretty sure they will tell you if he wants lunch, he can leave but visit will be ended.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
JDM001 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
The majority of offenders prefer the vending machine food. He will not get a meal brought to him in the visiting room. Those that get non contact visits will be offered a meal because they can't have vending machine food. If you call the facility I'm pretty sure they will tell you if he wants lunch, he can leave but visit will be ended.
But in reality who is going to leave a visit for slop??? They should be able to get a bag lunch at visit if they want it.