Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM

Default How does an inmate go about getting a transfer for Education Classes in TX?

My LO is at Coffield and would like to get into the Masonry or AC/Refrigeration program/class at Michael. Or at least on the wait list if there is one. Who does he contact? How does he go about this? He dropped an I-60 but apparently that wasn't the way to talk to someone about it. Can someone explain all this school/program stuff to me? There is nothing at Coffield he wants to take. Any of that make sense? Lol.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 PM

I am no expert, but I do think there is an Education Counselor at each unit who helps in this area. You can also contact the Wyndham School District. Hope this helps. Good luck..
The Following User Says Thank You to James' Sister For This Useful Post:
WeepingWillow (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 10:06 PM

Thanked 9,752 Times in 5,501 Posts

As noted, he needs to speak with the staff in the Education Department where he is now. Whatever he does, he does not want it to come across as requesting a particular unit. Rather, he wants to be placed on the waiting list for the specific class...and if he is not eligible for the program, he wants to know what he needs to do in order to become eligible.

Additionally, not every offender is even eligible for vocational programs. Some have sentences that are too short and others have other components to their file that preclude placement...
Old 03-22-2017, 12:10 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 2,524 Times in 977 Posts

Like everyone else has said, mine has had to put in a I-60 but follow up by talking to a real person to make sure he's eligible and put on a waiting list. Not much seems to get done without a little proactive behavior.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:39 AM

Okay, thank you. He has a 25yr sentence. He's only served 4 of it. He doesn't care where the classes are, he just knows there aren't any he's really interested in at Coffield, however if he has to take classes at Coffield, he will. He's bored and just wants to do something productive. Lol.