Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada subforum

Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 PM

Smile Millhaven / Joyceville Assessment Unit

So, from what I've been reading they moved the millhaven assessment unit to joyceville? Anyways, I just wanted to know how they assess you? Is it based on charges? personality? How does it work? do you go before a panel? If so, can you get placed in a medium-minimum facility or do you have to through medium maximum first then get placed in a camp? I'm just curious cause I got a case coming up and its my first time going in.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White-Devil30 View Post
So, from what I've been reading they moved the millhaven assessment unit to joyceville? Anyways, I just wanted to know how they assess you? Is it based on charges? personality? How does it work? do you go before a panel? If so, can you get placed in a medium-minimum facility or do you have to through medium maximum first then get placed in a camp? I'm just curious cause I got a case coming up and its my first time going in.
I'm wondering the same thing and pretty much in the same situation you are. If I get convicted it will be my first time doing a long stretch. Have you found any info yet?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 PM
OnparoleinTO

Assessment in Ontario moved back to Joyceville in 2015. You are there about 3 months - possibly longer if you have a long sentence or you have to do a program which might start while you're there. There's not much 'assessing', though - mostly you're just locked up, with a few tests of various kinds.

The decision on placement is made by CSC based on a set of criteria that you can look up here
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/acts-and-re...7-cd-eng.shtml.
They give you a score based on your original crime, whether you have a previous record, any escape attempts, things like that. There's no hearing and you have no input - they just tell you where you're going. You can object if you don't like the placement, but usually that won't matter; occasionally it will if you have a good reason.

Almost nobody goes from assessment to max. If your crime is really bad they usually put you in max from the start. So you'd have to do something bad while in assessment to get sent to max. If your sentence is longer - say 4 years or more - you will very likely start in medium. Otherwise it depends on their assessment of you.

From what I know (I wasn't in any of them), the mediums in Ontario vary quite a bit - at least in reputation. Bath is considered the easiest of them. If you start in medium, you can apply to transfer to minimum after about 6 months.

Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
Grt30 (03-21-2017)