Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia & New Zealand Prison & Jail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia & New Zealand Prison & Jail Discussions If the topic is a prison or jail in either of these countries, this is the place to discuss it!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Default Need phone and visit info for Metropolitan Remand and Reception Centre

Hi, My partner was taken to MRRC, Silverwater last Saturday (I have no idea why and what for, he kept it all to himself ). I received a phone call on Saturday evening and he gave me phone numbers to call to load an account so that he can make phone calls. 92895212, but there is only a message saying no one is available, any time of the day I call. Do I need a VIN number first? I have a visit booked in for this Sunday at 9.30am, can I get this VIN then, or beforehand over the phone?
How many visits per week can he have? His sentence is 90days, which part of Silverwater will he be in? The welfare officer said he would be transferred but maybe not for a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2017, 02:28 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,526 Times in 13,756 Posts

I can't answer your questions, but I do want to welcome you to PTO

Old 03-14-2017, 03:11 PM

thank you so much.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:47 AM
Donation Award 

Hi. Im in NZ, not Aust. Here the phone numbers have to be given by the inmate to the staff. They ring the ph and ask you if you are you and if you are OK with the number being approved for the inmate to ring. I cant ring them and get a number added for my mate. However, it may be different there. If you are getting no answer on the number he gave you, it may be worth ringing the general number for the prison and asking. (Always be super polite when ringing them as they can be very helpful or the opposite depending on who you get, so make a good impression)

If you have not visited a prison before, read the posts on what to wear / not to wear and have a change in the car if you are not sure. Like here, I cannot have uncovered shoulders, and some other places you need covered shoes etc. They all have some odd rules.

Your mate should be able to tell you what you need to know, and what to do.

And please, take care of yourself during this difficult time - sleep, exercise, proper eating etc etc all that stuff that can get put to the side. You will need your strength. Remember, PTO is here if you need to ask questions, or to vent or whatever. we may be in different countries, but we know what it is to face a totally unknown path and how distressful it all is.

Kia Kaha
Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Hi, thank you for your reply and the information. I managed to book a visit and went last Sunday. He was a lot better than on the phone, and had come to terms with it all. They allowed him to put what money he had had in his wallet, onto the buy up account and for phone calls. So now he tries to call regularly, but left a message yesterday to say that he has been classified to minimum, and will likely be moved to Cessnock soon. I have a visit booked for this Thursday, but he may be moved before then, will see.
The visit process was a bit daunting as a first-timer but I made sure I got there early, firstly to get a park and secondly to complete the process etc needed to register.
Thank you again for your support.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:54 AM
Donation Award 

I'm glad you had a good visit. Its always better once you have been there and seen him properly, I hope that has put your mind to rest a bit.

Minimum is good, that will be easier for him, although the move will happen without you knowing, he will just disappear and then contact you when he can. Be prepared for that, I found that quite disconcerting until I realized that's the way they work and there is nothing i can do about it. Still missed the contact for those days though. Give the prison a ring the day before your visit, or in the morning to make sure he is still there.