Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Raising Children with Parents in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Raising Children with Parents in Prison For the Parent left behind with children AND for the Children that have a parent inside. Discussion of unique challenges facing this group!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 PM

Unhappy Father inside for 10.. 10 more to go

I just joined today. I've known of Prison Talk for quite some time now. This past week has marked 10 years my dad has been gone and yesterday was his 50th birthday. I am not even sure exactly what the point of this post is, but sometimes I feel like no one understands what I've been through or how this all contributes to the depression I've been battling for the last 10-12 years from the initial arrest to now.

I just don't know how I am going to go another 10 years without my dad around- 17 1/2 if you want to count gain time... but sometimes I don't even count on that. I've learned not to count on a lot of things when it comes to the justice system. I'm going to be 27 years old this year and sometimes it is really hard for me to accept that my dad isn't going to be able to walk me down the aisle or see his grandchildren the day they are born.

Is there anyone else in a similar situation as me (parent with a sentence as long as mine - 20 years- and around my age?) that can offer an advice? Shed any light?

Thanks to anyone who has read this.
Hope you are all having a great weekend.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,604 Times in 1,554 Posts

Hi Katiekitties,

First, welcome to PTO.. Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry that you are in the position to need a community like this, but I'm glad that you decided to register and share a part of your story. I'm not in a similar situation, but I have a feeling there will be others that are, and will be happy to share their experiences with you.

David
Old 03-11-2017, 08:08 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,380 Times in 13,063 Posts

I also do not have this experience but there are many who do.
I think if it were me?
I'd try to visit as often as I could.
And while he may not be physically there when you get married, Im sure he will be there in your heart and his.

Im sorry it hurts you to know he has missed many important events in your life.
Pretty sure it hurts him as well.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 03-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hi Katiekitties,

First, welcome to PTO.. Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry that you are in the position to need a community like this, but I'm glad that you decided to register and share a part of your story. I'm not in a similar situation, but I have a feeling there will be others that are, and will be happy to share their experiences with you.

David
Hi David,

Thanks for the welcome
Old 03-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,187 Times in 10,376 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm sorry for what you are dealing with. Prison is hard on families as well as on the prisoners. I can only imagine how difficult it must be with 17 1/2 or 20 year sentences. Stay strong for your Dad so he knows that you will be there for him when he is released.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I also do not have this experience but there are many who do.
I think if it were me?
I'd try to visit as often as I could.
And while he may not be physically there when you get married, Im sure he will be there in your heart and his.

Im sorry it hurts you to know he has missed many important events in your life.
Pretty sure it hurts him as well.
I wish I could visit more but they ended up moving him 4 1/2 hours away from me and I've been in nursing school for the last year so I think I have been feeling extra down lately about the whole situation. I am only able to see him every 12 weeks until I am done, but that is for only 6 more months and I do know he was waiting for his birthday to come to request a transfer for a 50+ facility which is a lot closer to me.

I know this is all temporary, but lately it has just been feeling extra heavy.

Thank you for your response I appreciate it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katiekitties For This Useful Post:
David (03-11-2017), fbopnomore (03-11-2017), sidewalker (03-13-2017)