Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > South & Central America, Caribbean Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South & Central America, Caribbean Prison & Criminal Justice Topics Discussions and Information about South and Central American and Caribbean Prisons, Jails, the Criminal Justice System, etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 PM

Default Info on Mexican Prisons

I hope this is ok to post. I am looking for info on Mexican prisons. Are any of them privately owned or are all funded by the Mexican government?
Any help and info is appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 08:36 PM

There are no private prisons in Mexico, as far as I'm aware. I'm in Mexico more frequently than I'm in the US, and I'm interacting with the local prison system each time I'm abroad.

Hope that helps,

Heather.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:36 PM

Well I know they have some of the worst prisons in the world in Mexico...I am speaking of Reclusorio Norte in Mexico City, D.F. and Ce.Ro.So. Villa Aldamas Maximum Security Prison in Perote, Mexico, which is about 200 miles from Veracruz. RN should be named "corruption at its best". The prisoners have to pay for everything, from the cells they sleep in with 8-11 people, food, toiletries, and clothes. They also have to pay to shower, wash there clothes, pay for roll call, and just about everything. This money is collected by the guards,and if you don't pay, you are beaten, and even worst, you might be thrown in "Population" which is where the gangs, murderers, and prisoners serving 40 years or more are. The food they supposedly provide isnt fit for your dog, let alone a human being...it is brown mush mixed together in one of those oil barrels. The population people dont have bathrooms, so they handle there business outside, and the prisoners who dont have money to pay the guards are the ones who get to clean it all up. It is really ashame and unbelievable that they have named this facility as a rehabilitation Center, when it is painfully obvious that no one is being rehabilitated. The prisoners who are fortunate enough to have there family sneak money in and bring food get to cook on stones. Villa Adamas is unbelievable as well, although you dont need any money there, you are locked down for 23 hours a day, you can not call anyone, you are allowed one visit for 15 minutes via plexiglass once per month. They give you just enough food so you wont fall over and die. There is huge rats and roaches running thoughout both facilites...RN and Villa Aldamas...someone usually is assigned to stay awake to fight them off. The Mexican Government should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by Chica555; 11-15-2009 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: to add on final comment.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather_x View Post
There are no private prisons in Mexico, as far as I'm aware. I'm in Mexico more frequently than I'm in the US, and I'm interacting with the local prison system each time I'm abroad.

Hope that helps,

Heather.
What's d regulation of visiting there, what are Do's and Don'ts? I plan to fly to Mexico to visit my fiance. Any paper should b settled? Cost? Can we physically touch each other?

need answer. thank u very much.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Hi,

I am here to give you what little information I do have about the Mexican Prison system. My Stepfather is serving a 25 year sentence down there(the story is extremely complicated) and has no desire to take advantage of his right to extradition...He was given his own cell and is in a unit full of Non-Mexican Nationals so he's much more comfortable than I previously imagined. I would have thought he was sleeping in the hallway with the lizards snuggling up to him or something else along the lines of crazy.

He is serving his sentence outside of Ixtapa in the state of Jalisco. It is one of the newer prisons in Mexico built in the last 15 years. It looks very isolated according to Google maps street view. He says it's a jungle out there and the prison was carved smack dab in the middle of it. There are 3ft black lizards that are meat eaters and will take a finger or toe before you can get them off you. The bugs are huge and they all seem to bite pinch or sting. He has been stung by a scorpion 3 times in the past 22 months incarcerated and his thumb will be numb for a few months then he should be okay. He said there is one bug around that is so huge that it would be hard to get into a shoe box.

He almost never gets his mail unless it gets mailed through the consulate. The consulate is a busy person because she doesn't go there but once every three months, but getting things through her are much quicker than going through the Mexican Mail System. One inmate just got a package that was mailed last October.

I was told by the consulate that he could only wear beige and white clothing at this facility. I have heard in other facilities that you can pretty much wear anything. They don't want zippers and buckles on the shoes.

They do have visitors lists, and you have to be on it in order to see someone. My best advice is to speak to the local US Consulate in the jurisdiction where the inmate is being held. They communicate with all Americans in the prison system and will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Best Of Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to MyNameIsNoNo For This Useful Post:
Mrs.760 (03-04-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM

dear ones,
I need the adress of the prison in - mexico city, reclusorio du norte -.

It would also be very helpful to know to which embassy one should write also. The man we want to write to is greek.

Regards Lola
Old 03-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,720 Times in 10,110 Posts

Lola - Calle Jaime Nuno 155, Gustavo A. Madero, Cuauhtepec Barrio Bajo, 07210 Ciudad de Mexico, D.F., Mexico

Talk to the Greek embassy, if that's his nationality.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Lola - Calle Jaime Nuno 155, Gustavo A. Madero, Cuauhtepec Barrio Bajo, 07210 Ciudad de Mexico, D.F., Mexico

Talk to the Greek embassy, if that's his nationality.

Thanks a ton dear!!!