Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Dieting & Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2015, 06:14 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 PTOQ Editorial Team Member Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Winner 

Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,189 Posts
Default On a diet.....come give us support! Post as you lose lbs!

Hi Ladies and Gents

So I am looking at kick starting my weightloss journey (looking at wanting to lose 30kg) through healthy diet and exercise so i thought I'd see if anyone wanted to have a support group

We can post/chat in this thread about our highs and lows and keep eachother in check. I've fallen off the wagon plenty of times but determined to stick to it.

Doesnt matter how big or how little you have to lose, lets support eachother

USA Green Card DV 2017 Lotto Winner for OC CN7**
The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, forgetting that you are special too
Previous International - Long Distance - MWI Relationship
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shaunna For This Useful Post:
Glitter1986 (11-03-2016), InsomniaCT (07-17-2015), Nomes (08-26-2015), Peppermoose (07-17-2015), USPkittie (07-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 16,434 Times in 6,118 Posts

This is excellent! I'm here (PTO) already so I can't use the "I forgot" excuse to check-in.

I'd like lose 25lbs (11kg...yeah?). It's not even close to where I 'should be', but I've never been a fan of that chart, anyway. I want to feel better about myself, stronger and reduce some wear and tear on my joints.

Count me in!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
crzylove (07-30-2015), Glitter1986 (11-03-2016), InsomniaCT (07-17-2015), Nomes (08-26-2015), shaunna (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 PTOQ Editorial Team Member Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Winner 

Great

Whoops sorry I keep forgetting most use Pounds - Being Aussie I like the sound of kgs better only because 30kg to lose sounds a lot less daunting than 60ish pounds even though it's the same thing haha

I have tried all sorts of fad diets, my downfall is food - I am a huge sucker for savoury food

The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, forgetting that you are special too
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunna For This Useful Post:
Glitter1986 (11-03-2016)
Old 07-16-2015, 11:07 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,704 Times in 800 Posts

I've always envied people who said there downfall is one particular type of food. My downfall is also food...all of it...bland, spicy, sweet, sour I love food. I should jump right in and say I'M WITH YOU GUYS! But I'm just gonna say. I'll try. I'm at 225 and would love to weigh 140...pounds that is. Could you imagine if that was kg? Oy!
The Following User Says Thank You to shs76 For This Useful Post:
InsomniaCT (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 PM

Well what a great coincidence, tomorrow is when I planned to really eat healthier and lose weight.... 30 kg also. Lovely to have a support group, thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lini For This Useful Post:
InsomniaCT (07-17-2015), Peppermoose (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:06 AM

shs76 - I can relate. I'm not a huge sweet person (dont like ice-cream except vanilla, and only like some chocolate. everything else candy included i dont touch). My friends say they envy that I have self control around it but it doesnt make a difference as there is just as much if not more calories in other foods lol

Feel free to join us shs76 Even if you "fall off the wagon" or are just taking baby steps it's completely fine. It's open to people of all shapes and sizes no matter what their goals are. I understand how important it is being in the right head space - I struggle with that myself

Lini - welcome to the group I love NZ! (went there late last year)

Glitter1986 (11-03-2016)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:22 AM

Shaun's, yes after ten years in warm Aussie I'm finding the winter a challenge ��
I
Will
Do
Better in a group where there is somewhat of an accountability.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:43 AM

It's defiantely easier (for me anyway) when there's other people there to help support/keep me accountable

What's everyones favourite go to healthy snack? I'm looking for inspiration as right now I'm craving anything but healthy haha it's a struggle

Old 07-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Donation Award 

Shaunna, my immediate response for a healthy snack was going to be nice, fresh, sweet fruit because it's in season and inexpensive right now. Then it dawned on me that it's winter where you are. Seriously though, a few years back I lost 100 pounds and my favorite snack was microwave light popcorn (100 calories). I hate air popped but because money is tight I'm going to try that with some sprinkle on flavored topping. I also ate a lot of shrimp (prawns) with cocktail sauce(ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire , lemon and a dash of tabasco). I need something very filling to get me through. I also need to get back to walking. My current job has me on my feet constantly but I never get my heart rate up. When I lost the weight last time I walked in the morning at a shopping mall that opened early just for "mall walkers" (free activity). Do you have a place like that near you?
Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM

I have recently started to try losing weight myself. I have a goal of 15 pounds to get to a BMI of 25 or less so that I can try to donate a kidney. I started a 1200 calorie a day diet, which kind of sucks. I need to incorporate an exercise program too and am still searching for something for beginners to start out. Would love the support!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chelie1111 For This Useful Post:
crzylove (07-30-2015), Peppermoose (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs76 View Post
[...]Seriously though, a few years back I lost 100 pounds and my favorite snack was microwave light popcorn (100 calories). I hate air popped but because money is tight I'm going to try that with some sprinkle on flavored topping. [...]
I LOVE air popped popcorn! (and I'm with the OP, savory foods are my weakness save for soda which is really the stake through the heart) My mom gifted me an air popper last year and I use that thing all of the time. I don't like flavored popcorn but I pop it, then toss it in a paper bag with about a 1/3T butter and 1/3T coconut oil (I really don't measure it but I should) and a dash of sea salt. Shake it up.

I like fruit, but...it isn't all that filling to me and the glucose spike is kinda crummy.

I'm curious what, if anything, folks do with turmeric. I really like the flavor and try adding to a lot of my food, but I feel like I could do more.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
shs76 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 04:18 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Superstar of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,923 Times in 1,592 Posts

I could definitely use a place to crash land

I have been dieting and exercising faithfully since October. While I have been incredibly successful, I am definitely struggling right now. There is so little that I don't like! I think the only thing that is preventing me from gaining weight right now is the gym... 1 1/2 to 2 hours every day; split between the treadmill and elliptical. I need to incorporate some strength training but have been staying with what's easy...

I use tumeric in bean burgers--or hippie dippie burgers... I like a sweet potato/black bean & quinoa burger or black bean & quinoa--and both are good with tumeric. I have a hard time eating the amount of protein I'm supposed to have, and these burgers help. It can also be good in hummus if you make your own. And I have taken some veggies and chicken, and simmered it in some coconut milk with curry powder, tumeric, crushed red pepper, garlic, cilantro, salt & pepper...served with brown rice, some raisins and cashews; so good.

Good idea, Shaunna!

So...What's your point?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
Glitter1986 (11-03-2016), miamac (07-17-2015), shs76 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:19 PM

shs76 - 100pounds? That's amazing - congrats!! My situation is a little complicated - here in Australia there's some what of a mining boom where there's what they call 'Fly In Fly Out' Rosters. People are flown to work and stay in accommodation for a few weeks at a time then get flown home for a week. my roster at the moment is two weeks on, one week off. I'm working on an island and there is a walking track and even a womens gym so there are outlets for me to exercise, I just need to get my butt into gear

Chelie1111 - What a wonderful thing to be aiming for I'm sure you will get there

miamac - that popcorn sounds delicious - only downside is now I'm craving popcorn haha I really need to snap out of my weakness with food

InsomniaCT - wow I admire your dedication with the gym - I really need to find that kind of willpower. My problem is I get into a routine and I go for a while but after a few weeks I 'take a small break' which always end up being extended and I am back to where I started

shs76 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Also for anyone that is interested:

Here in Australia, one of our trainers from the Australian Biggest Loser TV Show has built a multi-million dollar fitness company on this 12 week programme basis. It's diet focussed but she has also released some really good work out schedules. For anyone that's interested let me know and I can email you through Week 1 to see if you like the sound of it and if you do, I will email you through the remainder

There's several options:

Move (if you are on the higher end of obese and dont work out and/or have injuries)
Move 2 (one up from the above)
Beginner (overweight/obese and have been to the gym but not regularly)
Intermediate
Advance
Learn to Run
Lean And Strong (have a high fitness level and more focussed on building muscle/lean as opposed to losing weight)
Pregnancy
Post Baby
Fit for Fifty (self explanatory)

So if anyone is interested in seeing a sample of the workout plan send me a PM

Keep in mind if you aren't from Aus you will need to convert the programe as we go by km not miles and kg instead of lb

InsomniaCT (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 06:14 AM
Donation Award 

I am not a very adventurous cook I only use turmeric in my chicken soup or chicken stew. I think I would have an easier time if I liked to cook. Honestly, when I lost 100 lbs I was not poor and I ate a lot of takeout foods. Believe it or not on weekdays I had McDonald's for breakfast and lunch every day. Now, because of money trouble, I tend to eat whatever I can find for free at work and that is usually very high in carbohydrates. We buy takeout once a month at work and yesterday was the day. We ordered from Qdoba. I got a whole wheat tortilla with shredded beef and fajita vegetables. It was delicious and less expensive than the cheese and guacamole laden choice I usually make. According to the company nutrition calculator it was under 500 calories also. Does anyone know how to make a spicy shredded beef at home? Maybe in a slow cooker with fajita seasonings?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:05 AM

The first thing I did was to stop eating anything white. Bread, rice, etc. and drink nothing but water. It worked for me, so just a suggestion. I do not look at calories, but fat content, just more conscious about my food decisions. I do not cook, well I cook, but not very good at. Wishing everyone luck!
Old 07-18-2015, 02:10 PM

Donation Award 

Shs76, I was curious about the recipe, googled it & this was one of the first to appear. Since I love cilantro & lime, it had instant appeal! I also like that it is a less expensive cut of meat & since it is in the crock pot, should be more tender--and shredding it will definitely be better.

Slow-Cooked Spicy Shredded Beef Tacos Recipe

Ingredients
  • Taco Ingredients
  • 2 lbs chuck roast
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 3 tbs tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup beef broth
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 serrano pepper, diced small
  • 1 jalepeno pepper. diced small
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
  • 1 tbs chili powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • Sauce Recipe
  • Link: Paleo Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce Recipe
  • Tortilla Recipe
  • Link: Paleo Tortillas
Instructions
  1. Season roast with salt and pepper and set aside
  2. Mix dry spices together (chili powder, cumin, paprika) and rub over both sides of roast
  3. Place roast in your slow cooker along with the garlic, onion and peppers
  4. Combine remaining ingredients (tomato paste, beef stock, lime juice) and pour over beef
  5. Cook on Low (8-10 hours) or High (4-6 hours) – meat should be tender and pull apart easily
  6. Shred meat with a fork and return to slow cooker. Mix shredded meat with the juices remaining in the slow cooker
  7. Make the paleo tortillas or use the shredded beef for a taco salad
  8. Top as desired with the avocado cilantro lime sauce

oops, here's the link!

I like to cook and since my budget is extremely limited, it helps a great deal. I have a hard time with my protein intake. I have never been a huge meat fan, and while I like beans, they are still a carbohydrate & not my friend.

I am struggling with continued resolve. I have lost 100 pounds, which I know is great, but am feeling less happy with myself because I am doing NOTHING lately in terms of loss.

Like my screen name suggests, I have real sleep issues. Like so many with insomnia, I make really impaired decisions late at night/early in the morning. If I functioned better I would not eat anything during those hours, but...

Anyone else with this issue? How do you deal with it? Part of my problem is a chronic pain condition & it can send me around the bend...self pity can get in the way, without question! UGH!

So...What's your point?

Last edited by InsomniaCT; 07-18-2015 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: add link
The Following User Says Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniaCT View Post
Like my screen name suggests, I have real sleep issues. Like so many with insomnia, I make really impaired decisions late at night/early in the morning. If I functioned better I would not eat anything during those hours, but...
Anyone else with this issue? How do you deal with it? Part of my problem is a chronic pain condition & it can send me around the bend...self pity can get in the way, without question! UGH!
Yes! I feel a though I could've written this exact same paragraph. ^^
I hate to say it, but the only way I've been able to avoid poor eating habits when my sleep is off (usually looks like binging) is too keep little food in the house. Or at least those foods that require no prep like packaged meals or snack foods. It's not practical, it's not efficient, but if it's not there I can't eat it and if my body is hurting I'm less likely to go out to get it.

I can't tell you the number of times my mother has commented on my fridge full of condiments. It's not that I hate being stocked up on real food, it's more like a protective measure.

And a 100lb loss is amazing. I'm down roughly 75 from my highest weight but haven't lost from that number in six years or so. When I start to feel frustrated by my plateauing, I pull out my "remember when" picture and remind myself how far I've come. Even if I stay right here for the rest of forever, I did THAT. And that's pretty dang good.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
InsomniaCT (07-19-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 PM

shs76 - I'm not either but only because If I am being honest, I am not the greatest cook. I wish I was one of those people that could just throw ingredients together and make an amazing dish but I am nowhere near that yet. Trying to learn off my mum this year to improve but we will see how that goes haha

Igeewa - That's some great ideas My biggest downfall is potatoes and bread - need to find healthier alternatives. Imagine if we could lose weight eating anything we want, chocolate included haha

InsomniaCT - that looks amazing!! It's only 8am in the mornign here but it's made me crave dinner haha I'll just have to settle for my mid morning snack of an apple and some roasted almonds

Miamac - that's still an amazing amount to lose and to be able to keep it off : ) I used to be nearly 30kg lighter than what I am now but yo-yo dieting and fad diets destroyed my metabolism and lack of will power got me to where I am now.

All through-out school I was bullied for my weight and it played so a huge role on my self esteem later in life and even now (I recently turned 27) - I think I'm slowly learning that I need to stop being so hard on myself

Old 07-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Donation Award 

Oh my goodness my sleepless friend I am making this Monday!!! I also love cilantro and lime. I went out to dinner with my son tonight at a local brewery. I only had one beer (yay me) I also chose the couscous salad with avocado heart, kalamata olives, tomato and roasted red peppers on a bed of butter lettuce. It was delicious and I think a good choice. We shall see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shs76 For This Useful Post:
InsomniaCT (07-19-2015), miamac (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Does anyone else fear the loose skin? I didn't really have any with my first major loss because I still have much more to lose. But at this point, ten pounds and I start to see the folds showing on my stomach and the tops of my thighs. It's disheartening to know your hard work will lead to another challenge.

I've found this woman's documentation of her journey inspiring.
Caution: Site contains nudity, NSFW

"In December 2009 I decided to take charge of my life and embarked upon my own self-directed, healthy-living journey. Through calorie counting, focus on nutrition, portion control, and increased exercise, my efforts have resulted in a loss of over 160 pounds. While I genuinely believed that my hard work and dedication would transform me into that “perfect” person of my dreams, the reality of what has resulted is quite the opposite. My experience contradicts what the media tends to portray. While it is easy to celebrate and appreciate the dramatic physical results of such an endeavor, underneath the layers of clothing and behind closed doors, quite a different reality exists."
http://juliakozerski.com/half
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
InsomniaCT (07-19-2015), shs76 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 AM

Donation Award 

Quote:
I'm down roughly 75 from my highest weight but haven't lost from that number in six years or so. When I start to feel frustrated by my plateauing, I pull out my "remember when" picture and remind myself how far I've come. Even if I stay right here for the rest of forever, I did THAT. And that's pretty dang good.
Miamac, you are AMAZING!!! To lose the weight is an accomplishment, no doubt, but to keep it off--and for 6 years?!! WOW, that is inspiring! Good for you!!

So...What's your point?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-19-2015), USPkittie (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Tiny Moderator

Hi everyone! This is a brilliant idea, Shaunna, and timely too!

I feel slightly awkward posting here. I do not want to be thought of in a poor, or stupid light. I came to join for two reasons, 1) to support everyone else, and 2) to learn how to lose weight, because I don't know and have never had to face such a task.

The deets: I have SLE Lupus. It's in remission! (Yay!) But it has kept my metabolism so high, I was often underweight. Couple years ago I had cancer, which is bad enough, lol, but then I also had a bad doctor (since prosocuted/convicted) and bad treatments by said doc. The cancer is gone now. But I lost so much weight due to the bad doctor/treatments I was anorexic clinically. (I was under 70 lbs.) Took over a year, lots of good help, but we somehow shoved tons of food in me and exercised to regain all the strength, endurance and weight lost.

Yesterday as I was house painting, I was blown off my 26 ft extension ladder. I'm ok. Sore! Bella headache, but doctors sent me home today.... But they asked I lose 5-7 lbs.

I'm on light duty for the next week to let my body heal. (Doctor order) so exercise is limited to low impact, easy stuff, I guess?

I really don't know. This is new to me. I never lived a specific way before. Not healthy our non-healthy. I would like to do this a healthy way. Since that cancer and moron doctor, I have come to cherish health.

I started by giving my 42oz bag of m&m's to my house mate to take to his nieces. :/ I know I sound like an idiot, I just have never had to do this so I'm lost. Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Donation Award 

Hi Kittie, My first advice to you would be to take a tour of your cupboards. Donate every unopened package of food that "doesn't belong" there. Cookies, cake, white rice, puddings with sugar, white pasta etc..... (toss the open stuff). Then stock up on whole wheat items, brown rice, beans, salt free canned veg. Remember to buy fresh spices, diet/healthful food does not have to be bland. Jar dried spices are fine but they lose their potency after about 4-6 months after they are opened.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shs76 For This Useful Post:
shaunna (07-20-2015), USPkittie (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Tiny Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs76 View Post
Hi Kittie, My first advice to you would be to take a tour of your cupboards. Donate every unopened package of food that "doesn't belong" there. Cookies, cake, white rice, puddings with sugar, white pasta etc..... (toss the open stuff). Then stock up on whole wheat items, brown rice, beans, salt free canned veg. Remember to buy fresh spices, diet/healthful food does not have to be bland. Jar dried spices are fine but they lose their potency after about 4-6 months after they are opened.
Wow! This is excellent info! I would not have thought to go thru the cupboards! I also did not know that about the spices. Some of mine are years old.eeek. Haha. That is really amazing.

I am excited at cupboard purging because it will help my local food bank too! Hooray!

I saw you speaking of turmeric use. Believe it or not, I sprinkle my tea with just a touch. It makes a great cups warm tea!! Thank you shs76 . You rock!
shs76 (07-20-2015)