Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,054 Times in 2,211 Posts
Default Long-timers and being institutionalized

My love has been going through a self-analysis period where he's trying to make sense of the path his life has taken and take steps before he returns home to heal things long overlooked. The counselors at the prison could care less and are not taking his requests to find information to help him deal with being a long-timer.

He's the first to tell you he's institutionalized and the men he was incarcerated with at 17-24 years old when he was transferred from the juvenile facility to state prison, raised him. Being incarcerated as an adolescent and well into his adulthood has had a strong impression on him and he's trying to find ways to help himself through reading and writing (journaling and poetry).

For those who've had similar experiences either being incarcerated for 15 years or longer, incarceration as a juvenile to their 30-60 years old, and being institutionalized, what steps did you take to help you?
marco1969 (03-12-2018), miamac (03-12-2018), Sarianna (03-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2018, 04:49 PM

Thanked 1,652 Times in 808 Posts

I would probably start researching therapists in the area for when he comes home. He also has passed issues to heal as well.

Look for articles or books you can send him that may help him wrap his mind around the transition. Until he is faced with it, it is hard to know how he will react.

I'm sure there are others with great advice that will come along.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018), Sarianna (03-11-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,543 Times in 6,957 Posts

I wish I knew where to tell you to look for help. We're trying to help a friend who was down for a little over 20 years. He is so institutionalized that it's not even funny. I don't even know where to start. If you take him out of the kitchen, he can't function.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:49 PM
attorney

Thanked 20,725 Times in 7,336 Posts

Therapy is a good idea.

Getting into a routine is also a good idea. That routine should include education, even on basics like taxes, credit counseling, basic technology, and the stuff that you take for granted that he hasn't been exposed to.

Routine should also include an exercise program. Hitting the gym, getting help from a personal trainer, getting into a class at the gym - good ideas.

If he's religious, then getting him into the habit of attending service and even joining the choir (he doesn't have to sing well, just be willing to sing) can help.

His schedule for the week should also include aa or na if that's applicable. Peer self help groups like adult children of alcoholics can help him look at issues that led to prison if that was a thing in his life.

Really, you want to start with a schedule that he can keep. Start small - therapy or something, each week and then add to it. Prison is fairly regimented - people telling him what to do and where to go. He might want to try replicating filling his schedule with positive things where he's mixing with the general public on a weekly basis and where he's learning the basic aspects of life.

Especially for people locked up as juveniles, he's missed natural transitions like preparing his first resume and filing taxes, and who really does understand the insurance thing any more, but he needs to embrace those challenges. Classes can be found apthriugh adult extension courses at your local community college and elsewhere.

Sit down with him and know that he needs to be nourished as well. I'm not talking about food, though nutrition is a big thing as the diet in prison is crap. But start with the basics. You've provided a roof over his head, clothes on his back, and a safe space. Now he needs to branch out into the community in relatively safe ways to learn the things he needs to know, take care of his mind and body (get him a PCP when he has insurance and have a full physical). Exercise, basic skills and knowledge, anything spiritual that he has chosen - all of that is the next step. But, it will feel less threatening if it's on a schedule, a schedule he agrees to and that he can meet. Find his priorities, help him find meetings and classes, and let him mix with the general public.

You've got a great start - he's free, has a safe place, has love and support. From here, it's just a matter of branching out. He can do this - it's just a matter of helping him to not be overwhelmed. So slow, add stuff with definitive start and stop times, and add stuff that allows him to be what he's already been - student, gym guy, religious participant. If you are interested, do some yoga together at the gym - a class where he has somebody familiar with him. Water aerobics. Whatever, as it will help him to get started if he doesn't feel like he's completely alone going out into the world, or trying to understand taxes, or doing an intro to the smartphone or something.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (03-12-2018), Hurley123 (03-13-2018), miamac (03-12-2018), TenToesDownBaby (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 16,403 Times in 6,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
My love has been going through a self-analysis period where he's trying to make sense of the path his life has taken and take steps before he returns home to heal things long overlooked.
Mine is in a similar place. He's on his 16th year, spent most of 15-18 in a juvenile facility and then entered state prison at 20. The only difference is he does have access to pretty amazing guidance at his facility. This has come in the form of group work and from Lifers who act as mentors. Obviously the Lifers focus more on the insight and healing part, the group work helps get him thinking along the lines of a plan for the outside. But, there's theory and there's practical application.

We're planning to have a therapist for couples counseling and he'll spend six months in a halfway house before coming home. That was his idea and one I support. I truly don't want him coming out and latching onto me as his guide for everything. Of course I support him, but I have limits and I've been honest about them. He will get the basics from the HWH-- insurance set up, cell phone and how to use it, resume building, driving test and license and that leaves me free to be his emotional support during that transition. I can do that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018), Hurley123 (03-13-2018), LifeTraveler (03-12-2018), xolady (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:14 PM

Thanked 5,141 Times in 2,715 Posts

Just an off hand question but wouldn't someone who has been locked up be mentally disabled and eligible for disability, and medicaid? Not saying they are crazy but really the mental part after being locked up for such a long time would be beyond most peoples abilities to function in a normal environment. Not impossible but very hard and emotionally stressful.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:25 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 16,403 Times in 6,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Just an off hand question but wouldn't someone who has been locked up be mentally disabled and eligible for disability, and medicaid? Not saying they are crazy but really the mental part after being locked up for such a long time would be beyond most peoples abilities to function in a normal environment. Not impossible but very hard and emotionally stressful.
I'm sure that some might. But I also know how tight disability approval has become. I would think, though don't know, that they would have to be released and essentially fail to "thrive" first.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:32 PM

Thanked 5,141 Times in 2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I'm sure that some might. But I also know how tight disability approval has become. I would think, though don't know, that they would have to be released and essentially fail to "thrive" first.
Actually I'm not sure that's why I asked, it's a valid disability I know that plus god knows what else after years of prison. Just a thought that I would look into if it was for my person. Only reason is certain things like insurance are not going to be affordable for someone right out the gate. Also I don't think anyone come's out mentally good after 20 years and they need the help to move on and stay out. JMO
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Actually I'm not sure that's why I asked, it's a valid disability I know that plus god knows what else after years of prison. Just a thought that I would look into if it was for my person. Only reason is certain things like insurance are not going to be affordable for someone right out the gate. Also I don't think anyone come's out mentally good after 20 years and they need the help to move on and stay out. JMO
Without an actual psychiatric diagnosis, there can be no disability. You can check the SSDI and SSI website for information about valid psych reasons, but generally no. It's not going to fly as a claim for disability.

The guy is not developmentally disabled in that his IQ is generally high enough to actually understand and make his own decisions. Unless he's released directly from solitary with active psychosis, he's generally able to function. Most people who aren't able to function already had a diagnosis of schizophrenia or the like prior to going to prison, or leave with an active diagnosis and fairly heavy duty psych meds.

Further, somebody who meets the statutory requirements of being a danger to self or others generally gets released from prison to the waiting arms of the state hospital, complete with endorsement by prison psych saying that he requires that level of care.

So, no, just because somebody has never filed taxes before doesn't make them any more or less capable of filing taxes as your average 18 year old. Somebody who's never held a job before is no more or less disabled than a housewife going through a divorce and needing to find work for the first time.

And insurance, under Obamacare, is actually fairly easy to get in states that have extended Medicare/Medicaid to the poor and the working poor. I actually had a client apply while in a psych unit in MA. Her bill after a 6 week stay in that psych unit was less than $12 and her premium for the insurance that paid for that bill was $0. So, depending on your state, insurance could be readily affordable, even for somebody without employment and no history of employment who comes out of prison, finds himself in a psych unit after a breakdown.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018), Hurley123 (03-13-2018), xolady (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:31 AM

I saw in another group that social security is starting to pay out for post prison ptsd for people that have done a lot of time. I have not researched it so I can't say it's true but i saw it recently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018), xolady (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
I saw in another group that social security is starting to pay out for post prison ptsd for people that have done a lot of time. I have not researched it so I can't say it's true but i saw it recently.
PTSD is ptsd - it doesn't matter what the source is. The problem is getting an adequate diagnosis and not thinking that you're entitled to disability upon exiting prison.

Again, you need a diagnosis that fits the requirements for disability. pTSD can be such a diagnosis in some cases, but not all cases.

If you think you have ptsd as a result of prison, you're going to need a diagnosis that fits the disability requirements, generally including a psych record from within the prison. Then, you obtain an attorney and apply for disability. An attorney is the best, fastest way to be successful with disability. Expect to have to meet the requirements of the dept of rehab, to do therapy, and to be made ready to work. If you can work, you are not disabled, so there's that to think about.

Trying to fake ptsd for the purposes of obtaining disability is a crime and makes it more difficult for those in genuine need to obtain the services and support they genuinely need.

Oh, and expect at least 6 months for any new claim to produce a result.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018), miamac (03-13-2018), xolady (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
I wish I knew where to tell you to look for help. We're trying to help a friend who was down for a little over 20 years. He is so institutionalized that it's not even funny. I don't even know where to start. If you take him out of the kitchen, he can't function.
This is what we learned when he came home years ago! He later admitted he was very uncomfortable in stores like Walmart because it was too noisy and busy, yet didn't mind being in stores like Kmart (can I find one now, all of them except one in our town is closed).

He didn't sleep when I was at work, stayed up the entire night until I got off from work, so that'll be something else I'm mindful of in the future.

All of the things we don't consider yet it was funny he easily adjusted to using a cell phone, but has no idea about having his own bills, using an ATM, having a job outside of prison, knowing how to drive, you name it!

There's so much reentry programs don't consider for long-timers at all.
fbopnomore (03-14-2018), miamac (03-13-2018), xolady (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Therapy is a good idea.

Getting into a routine is also a good idea. That routine should include education, even on basics like taxes, credit counseling, basic technology, and the stuff that you take for granted that he hasn't been exposed to.

Routine should also include an exercise program. Hitting the gym, getting help from a personal trainer, getting into a class at the gym - good ideas.

After a health scare and realizing they're only going to do enough in prison to keep him alive, he quickly began exercising and has lost close to 40lbs over the last 5 months He used to be involved in sports but when they cut programs, that changed and he wasn't big on working out.

If he's religious, then getting him into the habit of attending service and even joining the choir (he doesn't have to sing well, just be willing to sing) can help.

Our state prison has limited the influx of the churches that used to come biweekly and have services and Bible studies with the men. He's a studied Christianity and Islam so the background is there, he's lacking the fellowship.

His schedule for the week should also include aa or na if that's applicable. Peer self help groups like adult children of alcoholics can help him look at issues that led to prison if that was a thing in his life.

Really, you want to start with a schedule that he can keep. Start small - therapy or something, each week and then add to it. Prison is fairly regimented - people telling him what to do and where to go. He might want to try replicating filling his schedule with positive things where he's mixing with the general public on a weekly basis and where he's learning the basic aspects of life.

Especially for people locked up as juveniles, he's missed natural transitions like preparing his first resume and filing taxes, and who really does understand the insurance thing any more, but he needs to embrace those challenges. Classes can be found apthriugh adult extension courses at your local community college and elsewhere.

So true about incarceration and the lack of going through the natural transitions most of us did. We've discussed how he at times would do things a teenager would do---his response to things and situations would be misunderstood.

He hasn't had much of a routine since he lost his job being transferred. I've encouraged him to make up one to keep away from the mundane routine of what happens at the prison.

Sit down with him and know that he needs to be nourished as well. I'm not talking about food, though nutrition is a big thing as the diet in prison is crap. But start with the basics. You've provided a roof over his head, clothes on his back, and a safe space. Now he needs to branch out into the community in relatively safe ways to learn the things he needs to know, take care of his mind and body (get him a PCP when he has insurance and have a full physical). Exercise, basic skills and knowledge, anything spiritual that he has chosen - all of that is the next step. But, it will feel less threatening if it's on a schedule, a schedule he agrees to and that he can meet. Find his priorities, help him find meetings and classes, and let him mix with the general public.

This part should be easier in the long run. Given the steps he's taking now, it will only be a challenge to find things for him to be involved in when the time comes.

You've got a great start - he's free, has a safe place, has love and support. From here, it's just a matter of branching out. He can do this - it's just a matter of helping him to not be overwhelmed. So slow, add stuff with definitive start and stop times, and add stuff that allows him to be what he's already been - student, gym guy, religious participant. If you are interested, do some yoga together at the gym - a class where he has somebody familiar with him. Water aerobics. Whatever, as it will help him to get started if he doesn't feel like he's completely alone going out into the world, or trying to understand taxes, or doing an intro to the smartphone or something.
That was the challenge the last go round. When his PO extended his curfew and he had to take the day to do things on his own, he got "lost" and that was the slow transition to back to where he is now. Being overwhelmed by how much had changed since he was a teenager and being released into a world that has the expectation that you know how to do this and are familiar with that can be beyond our understanding in the moments that follow when they're released.
miamac (03-13-2018), xolady (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Carolina traveler

Therapy/counseling will definitely be an option to address the losses (deaths) of three important people close to him. I don't believe he's grieved while he's been incarcerated and when the time comes, I would rather he have the resources to handle it all. His loss of his grandparents stands out because they were his sole supporters and he hasn't addressed how much that has had an influence on him in all these years.

On top of being incarcerated for so long, how he deals with relationships needs to be addressed, not just his family who he has an inconsistent relationship with, but ours as well.

I've shared books that touch on much of this, but to sit down with a professional is never a bad thing.
miamac (03-13-2018), xolady (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:52 PM

Thanked 1,652 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
Therapy/counseling will definitely be an option to address the losses (deaths) of three important people close to him. I don't believe he's grieved while he's been incarcerated and when the time comes, I would rather he have the resources to handle it all. His loss of his grandparents stands out because they were his sole supporters and he hasn't addressed how much that has had an influence on him in all these years.

On top of being incarcerated for so long, how he deals with relationships needs to be addressed, not just his family who he has an inconsistent relationship with, but ours as well.

I've shared books that touch on much of this, but to sit down with a professional is never a bad thing.
Therapy for you to as well. The process could try your patience at times and as you both navigate this support will be huge.
Is he religious? Maybe the support of an open minded church and groups will be helpful. He can relearn how to interact in social settings without being overwhelmed or feel judged.

Just remember baby steps. It could take him a while to adjust. Hugs!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-13-2018), xolady (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Therapy for you to as well. The process could try your patience at times and as you both navigate this support will be huge.
Is he religious? Maybe the support of an open minded church and groups will be helpful. He can relearn how to interact in social settings without being overwhelmed or feel judged.

Just remember baby steps. It could take him a while to adjust. Hugs!
Yes, I've been not only dealing with his incarceration but the passing of my father and my mother's diagnosis of Alzheimer's. The past 10 years have been a lot.

So many churches here are resembling businesses and in and out one stop for worship, I took a step away from it after the small church I went to lost most of their membership who were getting older and passing away. I miss the fellowship.
xolady (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
This is what we learned when he came home years ago! He later admitted he was very uncomfortable in stores like Walmart because it was too noisy and busy, yet didn't mind being in stores like Kmart (can I find one now, all of them except one in our town is closed).

He didn't sleep when I was at work, stayed up the entire night until I got off from work, so that'll be something else I'm mindful of in the future.

All of the things we don't consider yet it was funny he easily adjusted to using a cell phone, but has no idea about having his own bills, using an ATM, having a job outside of prison, knowing how to drive, you name it!

There's so much reentry programs don't consider for long-timers at all.
One thing you might keep an eye out for is PICS = Post Incarceration Syndrome You can research it online.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hurley123 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (03-18-2018), fbopnomore (03-14-2018), xolady (03-14-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley123 View Post
One thing you might keep an eye out for is PICS = Post Incarceration Syndrome You can research it online.
I believe there's a thread shared on PTO a while back.