Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics General discussion forum for the UK. Come in and discuss issues in the British justice/prison system as well as your own personal issues.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Going to Prison in England - What happens at first?

I saw a very good post on here about what to expect when you actually get sentenced and the first few days in prison in USA. Was wondering if anybody could do something similar in relation to England.

I go back to court in November for sentencing and am told to expect a stretech. This will be my first time and I am worried about it alot. The worst part for me is not not knowing what to expect, who's who and what to do. I've seen it in the movies so many times but know it wouldn't really be like that - hope not anyway.

All I know is that I would be going to a Cat B prison first but it would be great to find out what I could bring in, what happens between court and getting there, how much they search you, what you do on your first day and night and so on. I know it's asking alot but would be great to find out from someone who knows the reality themselves or from someone else.

One last thing is there any gang stuff in prisons in England? I've read about it in America but not over here.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Donation Award 

Paul1983,

Welcome to PTO. I don't have any answers for you. Hopefully someone with some knowledge about your questions will be along soon.

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
biglinmarshall

It depends on how lucky you are. If you're like two friends of mine who spent time inside you'll be alright. If you're like another two friends of mine then you can expect beatings, rape, abuse from guards and other inmates.

On the other hand it could be worse - compared with Third World countries British jails are not too bad.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:05 AM

i was wondering if there are gangs in english prisons
Old 04-23-2008, 04:35 PM

Hi,

I've known 3 people to go into UK prison and no, you will not find gangs like there are at USA prisons. The only things is these inmates hate rapists and pedophiles...there has been backlash from inmates against these particular set of prisoners.
May I ask what you have been charged with?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
judypatudy

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepluto View Post
Hi,

I've known 3 people to go into UK prison and no, you will not find gangs like there are at USA prisons. The only things is these inmates hate rapists and pedophiles...there has been backlash from inmates against these particular set of prisoners.
May I ask what you have been charged with?

My other half was in on violent assault, but he set a pedophile
on fire and has more time to serve..
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judypatudy View Post
My other half was in on violent assault, but he set a pedophile
on fire and has more time to serve..

Oh, lovely.... nothing like a bit of skin missing to give you that 'just awoke' feeling, I feel invigourated already.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 AM
Had a change of username

I do not think that there are as many gangs as there are in American prisons but there may be some, depending where you are sent. In any case, watch your back.

You should read a book by Jeffrey Archer called 'A Prison Diary'. Trust me that book is what you need to read to see what goes on. I read it and it gives you details about what happened from when he left court, to been strip searched...right through his stay inside. It can give you a definate insight. He started at a Cat A and worked his way down to a D.

I hope that helps

Last edited by sunshine2008; 09-27-2008 at 02:56 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunshine2008 For This Useful Post:
Csmcgrl23 (05-13-2010), Keltria (11-11-2008), Snow_Queen (08-24-2014)
Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2008 View Post
I do not think that there are as many gangs as there are in American prisons but there may be some, depending where you are sent. In any case, watch your back.

You should read a book by Jeffrey Archer called 'A Prison Diary'. Trust me that book is what you need to read to see what goes on. I read it and it gives you details about what happened from when he left court, to been strip searched...right through his stay inside. It can give you a definate insight. He started at a Cat A and worked his way down to a D.

I hope that helps
"There is a child of seventeen in the cell below me who has been charged with shoplifting - his first offence, not even convicted - and he is being locked up for eighteen and a half hours, unable to speak to anyone: This Great Britain in the 21st century, not Turkey, not Nigeria, not Kosovo, but Britain. This same young man will now be spending at least a fortnight with murderers, rapists, burglars and drug addicts. Are these the best tutors he can learn from?"

That is scary.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COJER View Post
"There is a child of seventeen in the cell below me who has been charged with shoplifting - his first offence, not even convicted - and he is being locked up for eighteen and a half hours, unable to speak to anyone: This Great Britain in the 21st century, not Turkey, not Nigeria, not Kosovo, but Britain. This same young man will now be spending at least a fortnight with murderers, rapists, burglars and drug addicts. Are these the best tutors he can learn from?"

That is scary.
What is a non-violent offender doing in the company of rapists and murderers? I thought the whole idea of a prison classification system was to ensure any negative influences on less experienced criminals was limited?

I thought shoplifters, if they even go to prison (which most seem not to), would be in a Class D, open prison? They are not a threat to anyone, the only purpose of sentencing for them is to make them suffer a loss of liberty for a short period to teach them not to steal.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:

That is scary.
This worried me big time. My husband has just been locked up in a Cat B prison. He is a low level offender, never done anything wrong in his life. His crime was according to the prosecuting police officer - just a stupid mistake. Now he's in there and I don't know what to do!! Haven't even had a phone call from him yet

Please help.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Quote:

That is scary.
That is real strange, because the prison system here in the UK is really hot on only putting juveniles in juvenile facilities... JA is a grown man, so he would be in an adul;t facility, so that young man should not have been there!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1983 View Post
I saw a very good post on here about what to expect when you actually get sentenced and the first few days in prison in USA. Was wondering if anybody could do something similar in relation to England.

I go back to court in November for sentencing and am told to expect a stretech. This will be my first time and I am worried about it alot. The worst part for me is not not knowing what to expect, who's who and what to do. I've seen it in the movies so many times but know it wouldn't really be like that - hope not anyway.

All I know is that I would be going to a Cat B prison first but it would be great to find out what I could bring in, what happens between court and getting there, how much they search you, what you do on your first day and night and so on. I know it's asking alot but would be great to find out from someone who knows the reality themselves or from someone else.

One last thing is there any gang stuff in prisons in England? I've read about it in America but not over here.
I've heard people say there is a lot of racial strife in prisons, between Whites & Asians in particular. However our prisons are a lot less violent and threatening compared to those in America, invariably because of the calibre of inmates.

In Texas for example it was found that of the 100,000 inmates incarcerated in Texan prisons some 46,000 had killed someone (either murder of manslaughter).

Its more likely that in a UK prison you will be incarcerated with people who have commited similar offences to you.

If you're really frightened of what may happen ask for protective custody, I'd advise consulting a prison barrister and a human rights one, between them they should be able to state your case (i.e. you are a new inmate who is in fear of what may happen once inside).
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Little Miss Jocys

my partner was sent to HMP Liverpool 2 yrs ago (a cat b prison) for armed robbery, today he has been moved to a cat d prison (kirkham). it wasnt his 1st conviction but he still gets very nervous being moved about let alone going in. it just depends on your character to be honest. like someone said above UK prisoners detest rapists and paedophiles, they make their lives hell. so you'll be fine as long as you're not one of those.
again as someone said above aswell you're more than likely to end up on a wing where the crimes are similar.
dont worry too much just keep your chin up x

Little Miss Jocys <3
Old 09-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskhan88 View Post
... like someone said above UK prisoners detest rapists and paedophiles, they make their lives hell. so you'll be fine as long as you're not one of those...
Not true. I've recently come out of a cat-B prison in the UK, and they have a whole wing dedicated to "vulnerable" prisoners, also known as VP's, or known as being "on the rule" (prison rule 45 which caters for them). So whether you are a sex offender, paedophile, or for any other reason you are in that category (and you can choose to go on the rule, as I did), you are kept on your own wing physically separated from the prisoners in the rest of the prison.

As it is a complete wing of 200 prisoners you get all the facilities that are available to other prisoners such as access to work, education, library, association, and exercise (where you often found youself being cat-called by other non-VP prisoners with abuse like "peeeedo" lol).

As for bullying it does happen occasionally, but not often as the prison staff come down very heavily on the bully, resulting in them being subject to IEP warnings and worse.

And since the average sex offender is not your average thug or "oik" they are often intelligent urbane individuals who make for good stimulating and interesting company. I know that my decision to go "on the rule" was the right one for me.

Last edited by bangedupnick; 09-29-2010 at 03:52 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bangedupnick For This Useful Post:
ck1988 (09-03-2017), Paul1983 (07-09-2017)
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 AM
*sprinkling fairy dust*

Im currently working at a UK prison and in the prison im at there are no gangs x
Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 AM
UKLisa

I spent 6 months in Holloway. There werent gangs as such, but most women were in fairly formal cliques, which you didn't risk getting on the wrong side of.

UK hot on juvenile facilities? Not where i was sent - we had girls as young as 14 thrown in with us.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Resu Deretsiger

I have just come out of prison a few days ago so i'll type my experience -

After you're sentenced, you go straight down to the reception area, where they search you, go through your bags, count your money (they tried to steal all my cash), and then throw anything that you won't be allowed to take to prison in the bin, you fill out a few forms, they give you a leaflet that tells you about what will happen next and ask you if you want anything to eat, then you're handcuffed while you walk about 3 ft to your holding cell (seriously), you'll be in there until your solicitor or barrister (or family if you requested it and the judge approves it, but probably won't because of constant staff shortages) comes down to see you, they'll tell you if there's any point in appealing, after that you're put back into your holding cell until everyone has been sentenced (so just hope you don't get sentenced really early or you'll be in a holding cell for hours). After a few hours you'll get handcuffed and led to a prison van and taken to the nearest remand jail. When you get to the remand jail, you'll first get your bags searched again and they'll take anything that you can't take onto the wings off of you, then you'll be put into a holding cell (with a few smack/crackheads and immigrants probably) and you'll wait there until an officer calls out your name, you go through to another room where you get your picture taken for your ID card, sit in the BOSS (Body Orifice Scanner) chair and then get strip searched. After that you go and collect your prison kit (bed sheets (you'll be lucky to get a pillow), prison clothes, eating utensils and a plate and bowl) and you can get a shower if you want, then you go and pick what you wanna eat and you're put into another holding cell where apparantly you can make a phonecall (except none of your numbers have been approved!). After hours of waiting about, you're taken down to the induction wing where you'll be greeted by a greeter who asks you a few questions and tells you some prison basics, then you go into the office to see the SO (senior officer) where you can purchase tobacco or phone credit (you also get an induction park with some toiletries and smokers pack if you're a smoker), they'll ask you if you have any problems with sharing a cell with someone too (not that they'll do anything if you do), they then tell you that you'll start the induction the next day, lead you to your cell and you're banged up for the night
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to COJER For This Useful Post:
ck1988 (09-03-2017), mrskhan88 (05-03-2010), Paul1983 (07-09-2017)
Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 PM
UKLisa

Pretty much the same for women too
Old 07-09-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I have just come out of prison a few days ago so i'll type my experience -

After you're sentenced, you go straight down to the reception area, where they search you, go through your bags, count your money (they tried to steal all my cash), and then throw anything that you won't be allowed to take to prison in the bin, you fill out a few forms, they give you a leaflet that tells you about what will happen next and ask you if you want anything to eat, then you're handcuffed while you walk about 3 ft to your holding cell (seriously), you'll be in there until your solicitor or barrister (or family if you requested it and the judge approves it, but probably won't because of constant staff shortages) comes down to see you, they'll tell you if there's any point in appealing, after that you're put back into your holding cell until everyone has been sentenced (so just hope you don't get sentenced really early or you'll be in a holding cell for hours). After a few hours you'll get handcuffed and led to a prison van and taken to the nearest remand jail. When you get to the remand jail, you'll first get your bags searched again and they'll take anything that you can't take onto the wings off of you, then you'll be put into a holding cell (with a few smack/crackheads and immigrants probably) and you'll wait there until an officer calls out your name, you go through to another room where you get your picture taken for your ID card, sit in the BOSS (Body Orifice Scanner) chair and then get strip searched. After that you go and collect your prison kit (bed sheets (you'll be lucky to get a pillow), prison clothes, eating utensils and a plate and bowl) and you can get a shower if you want, then you go and pick what you wanna eat and you're put into another holding cell where apparantly you can make a phonecall (except none of your numbers have been approved!). After hours of waiting about, you're taken down to the induction wing where you'll be greeted by a greeter who asks you a few questions and tells you some prison basics, then you go into the office to see the SO (senior officer) where you can purchase tobacco or phone credit (you also get an induction park with some toiletries and smokers pack if you're a smoker), they'll ask you if you have any problems with sharing a cell with someone too (not that they'll do anything if you do), they then tell you that you'll start the induction the next day, lead you to your cell and you're banged up for the night
This is pretty realistic from my experience too. I started the thread but by the time this was posted I'd been in prison and was out but I am getting sentenced in 2 weeks so wil be going through it all again. I hope you managed to stay out of trouble since getting out.

Yeah it's crazy about being handcuffed just to go a few metres. I got handcuffed from the dock (with my family looking) to the cell area and then again to my own cell. Don't know what they expect us to do down there that we need to be cuffed.

There is so much waiting around after court and going to prison. I got sentenced early in the morning and was there in the holding cells until that evening. I was in with a few others waiting to go to prison and it was kind of head wrecking being wound up. The screws didn't try to steal anything from me but they made me dump a nearly full pack of smokes I had just bought before court and only smoked a few outside. I'm sure one of them took them from the bin and smoked them himself.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKLisa View Post
I spent 6 months in Holloway. There werent gangs as such, but most women were in fairly formal cliques, which you didn't risk getting on the wrong side of.

UK hot on juvenile facilities? Not where i was sent - we had girls as young as 14 thrown in with us.
adults and Y/OS where seperated in eastwood park few years back, except on detox wing, where we were put with adults, we would mix with them but couldnt share a cell. they were very funny about letting us mix, but now they have changed the wings the y.os mix with adults on the new enhanced wing, it all depends on iep. aswell, if u enhanced your more likely to mix with other enhanced women yo and adult, basic you wont.....every prisons diffrent. specially when it comes to men n womens.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:25 AM
Account Closed

well- did you see thta in a movie or have been through it... lol.. it is not!!!! as worse as you describe it-- please be realistic...
Old 05-09-2010, 11:54 AM
UKLisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyours View Post
well- did you see thta in a movie or have been through it... lol.. it is not!!!! as worse as you describe it-- please be realistic...
Er, no "Onlyyours" it is exactly as described. I should know, I spent 6 months in Holloway. I wish I had only "seen it in a movie"

Clearly your hubby is shielding you from the truth, probably to protect poor old you?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Account Closed

haha- i have spend 18 month In holloway.. my hubby does not to protect me for anything.. - smile... but .. anyway.. it seems to everyone different.. all the european prisons are holiday camps(!!!!!) compared to the United states Prisons... don´t let it seem worse then it is!!! well, my opinion.. don´t mean to offend anyone!

Last edited by onlyyours; 05-13-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 AM

Am pretty sure the incident with the young kid being banged up with murderers Mr. Archer was referring to took place in HMP Belmarsh. It's probably be the toughest of the lot, which probably explains it. It would explain why a person arrested for what he was arrested for and why he was in such a tough place like Belmarsh, which is reserved for the most dangerous offenders

A lot of this will vary, but it's a fact that a lot of criminals don't like child abusers. Inmates who know of pedophiles in prison will make their lives hell in somewhere like Belmarsh if they can skate away with it, that is a fact. Ian huntley was subject to many threats against his life (he is in Belmarsh). A woman who was accused of killing her children was subject to an attempted napalm attack (sugar and hot water sticks to the skin). Believe me the guards have to segregate pedophiles for their own safety because it's a nasty place for one of them to be

I read his book a while back but can't remeber all the details, but it tallies remarkably with the description posted above
in female jails. Not sure about the men's ones

I haven't heard of any hard gangs in jail like the US Bloods and Crips, they tend to have just groups of people who you don't want to mess with in female prisons

Hope it helps
Fliss

Last edited by felicity2011; 06-23-2011 at 09:05 AM..