Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons Post all letters, stories and information from inmates and ex-convicts here. Share their perspective with the rest of us who have not been on the inside.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Donation Award 

Smile I have served time at Rockville Correctional Facility for Women

Hi everyone! I have served time in Rockville Correctional Facility for Women in Indiana. I have always longed to share my feeling while I was in there, how things are in a womens prison. I want to offer advice or answer questions about what it was like in there for me. I was convicted of 7 counts of theft, a class D felony. I don't know if my story is of use to anyone but I feel the need reach out to those who have questions. I was in prison about 5 years ago. I have always felt ashamed and told no one about it. People who I see everyday would probably be shocked to know that I was in "prison". It is such a stigma. I will carry my felony conviction for the rest of my life. I will tell you a little bit about what happened. I had a monument company. Yes, I mean headstones. My grandparents were caretakers of a large cemetery here in Indiana. They lived on the cemetery gounds, so I know all about the death industry, how it works. I (along with my hubby) took over the cemetery when my grandparents retired. I had always wanted my own business, so I started this monument company. Did ok for awhile. Later things were going down hill financially. I filed bankruptcy personally and on my business. Later about 7 months later I was arrested and charged with 7 counts of theft. Seven families did not receive the monuments they ordered. To make this a little shorter, the judge had it out for me because of the nature of the crime. He sentenced me to 6 months DOC. I did 3 months and 2 years probation as well as community service. Lots of things happened to me and my family during this time. I want to share with you in later posts......Now my oldest son is going to prison. His charges are different. But now you can see I have been on both sides of the track.
Love you all....
Old 03-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Account Closed

I have never been to jail or prison myself. Thank God. But my boyfriend is. Its hard because this is my first relationship having somone incarcerated. Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM

I would love to hear about it. Please email me..........or send me a message
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM

I thank you for your story. I have a daughter sereving time. she has 1 year left then to a half way house I do believe.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM

How bad was it in there ? My daughter has 9 mons lefted. She said they don't want to tell u anything.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by debi520 View Post
How bad was it in there ? My daughter has 9 mons lefted. She said they don't want to tell u anything.
I must say I was scared to death, but, looking back, better than county jail. The scariest thing is you really don't know anyone unless they were in the same county jail as you. But that doesn't mean that you will be with them during your incarceration. I had about 4 people I would talk to or "hang out" with. It is very hard to trust anyone. It was the worst time of my life, needless to say. The loneliness is what gets you the worst. Wondering what your family and friends are doing on the outside. I spent many night crying myself to sleep. You are constantly thinking and thinking and thinking. Mostly about how stupid you were and how people will treat you when you do get out. The guards, well, they sometimes are not the friendliest people. You have to realize that you are in prison and they are not there to make friends. They have a job to do and I will admit some of them LOVE their job. But, follow the rules and life will be alot easier. I was only in for 3 months and when I was released we went to walmart the next day. I didn't want to go in. It felt like I was not allowed. The freedom was hard to adjust to. It felt like a had a sign above my head that said I was in prison and everyone was staring at me. I couldn't wait to get out of there! It is not easy but you can survive. I wish your daughter the very best of luck when she gets out. It will be different for her in the beginning, just be patient.
PS... I don't know what I would have done without my parents......
srd_stc (01-11-2015)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 AM
MS. D*I*V*A
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,562 Posts

Thank you for sharing you story! It helps with a lot of us who are support someone on the inside.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM

Default Angie - Do they read letters there?

Hey Angie, Thank you for sharing your story. I certainly hope all is still well more than two years after you first posted this. Do you know if the guards read letters at Rockville?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:53 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyCare View Post
Hey Angie, Thank you for sharing your story. I certainly hope all is still well more than two years after you first posted this. Do you know if the guards read letters at Rockville?
The guards don't. But it goes thru the mailroom first. They read them in there before the inmate gets them. They are looking for paraphernalia, nude pics, contraband, etc. I am not sure about the outgoing mail. But for sure incoming mail! They also listen on the phones.
I am doing ok. Lol, I have really been thru some shit! Pardon the language, but no other way to say it. My husband of 23 yrs left. I am mad, hurt, glad, and disappointed after all we have been thru together. Too much of a story to put on here as it usually is. but all in all he done me a favor and I am determined to make it on my own. I struggle financially but hold my head high. I know I am a good person and that God watches over me so I will be fine..
I actually like sharing my experience. Gives me a chance to talk about it and do some more healing and most of all, I hope I help someone feel better!
feel free to talk to me anytime. If you post to this I will automatically get the email.
Lots of prayers..
Angie
tonyarenee1 (09-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 AM

I will be sentenced on october 23rd to a 2 do 1 sentence.. I have a significant other, 2 young adult children and my first grandbaby behind me on this.. I'm kinda freakin out though and would love all input you care to give
Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Donation Award 

Grin, I do have input! If you don't mind, what are you going for? Mine was 7 counts class D Felony. I got 6 months, do 3. Wasn't long really, when I look back but you don't think that while your there. I think they dropped my counts to 5 or something like that. I am in kind of a hurry now but I want to talk to you. You will have many questions. You are going on a rollercoaster ride!! How old are you? I am 47 this year. I turned 42 in prison. I was sentenced on March 3, my birthday was march 5. Worst birthday of my life. Message me back, I will fill your ears.. and I will be honest with you, no sugar coating here, you my as know what to expect. I wish I had known..
Angie
Old 11-06-2014, 03:00 AM

Default Served 4 months in DOC changed my life.

Hello,
I happened to find this page when my husband and I did research about the prison. I served 8 do 4 months in Rockville for spitting on a guard in county jail. They picked me up for a P.I. and I had some choice words for one of the female guards and I guess (because I don't remember much) instead of hitting her I spit on her. The judge was new so to make a name for himself and an example out of me he sent me to do time in DOC. I wasn't a stranger to the county jail. I've been there 3 times for fighting but to go to prison was scary. The stories I could tell about Rockville, shake most people and I'm glad it does. I was on a rocky path in life and I needed something to wake me up. I got out of prison what most people are meant to. The most terrifying thing about DOC is not knowing why people are in. The don't ask don't tell scenario applies here, but out of curiosity I couldn't help but know who I sat next to and ate with. Shared stories, or headphones. I was a little socialite when I went in...but leaving there made me a recluse. After intake (which to me took forever all I wanted was some coffee!) They put me in a early release room in open pop. I became a midnight porter, and that was one of the best times in there. Being in a dorm with 150-200 women in one big area can become quite overwhelming. At night when everyone slept I was up cleaning. The peace of mind was astonishing. Even if that place was made for you to do nothing but think, it was hard to do just that with the noise. Besides not being able to trust anyone. There weren't many confrontations. A lot of yelling, and on the other side of the dorm this girl got hit with a lock in a sock. Not like TV or movies make you think about prison. It was just another way of life. That gets me to one night on my break this girl who was a "Stud" my god she looked just like a boy! She had a sweet disposition and I still don't know why she was doing time, but she let me borrow "Notorious 92" It was a book siting all 92 counties in Indiana with the most notorious killers. Come to find out after reading that I was locked up with 3 count em 3 of the most notorious in Indiana. One locked her 4 kids up in their room ages ranged from 3-8 and set the house on fire. That thing had a girlfriend who sodomized a dude with a broom. She was being released...but they were happy...they were alive and breathing...They had everything the world could offer them...So anywhos...To fit in I was what you would call "gay for the stay" I know to some this will sound crazy but I didn't physically do anything...I had a partner who helped me out and made me feel like a human again. She worked at the library and she would hook me up with magazines and food. She was awesome. I felt bad letting her get attached and I left not even sending her a single letter. But hopefully she has grown from that experience. She wasn't "gay" when she went in either. The one thing that hurts the most is I was so far from family they couldn't come see me. They only wrote two letters the whole time I was there. The feeling every time Mail was called and hoping and praying someone wrote...then your name isn't called sucked. one thing I had to get over in the years since I went was knowing why I was there and coming to terms with it being all my fault. I thought for years that I was done wrong. Not saying the justice system was perfect but that judge is my savior! I will tell ya that most women in there belong there...if not dead...It sad though I have sympathy. Somewhere along the line something failed these poor women. Whether it be parents, or schools, or doctors, or life itself. It's a lot of uneducated people. I never once had an actual intelligent conversation in there. Except for with the guards. I had some favorites! Now typically if you got caught talking to a guard you were called a snitch. That in turn got me in a fight but I'll talk about that later. Mr. Tabasco or whatever his name was, was a cool dude. There was another one I had a major crush on lol he had some awesome tattoos. I never had a problem with any of the guards, I did make fun of the dude in the lunch room because he had the Mario mustache so I sung the theme song as I walked out the door and got reprimanded for it and had to apologize. (with a straight face lol) Because it isn't the lifestyle for me makes it not appealing to me...but I made the best out of my time (I did the time and didn't let the time do me) I had some horrible days, and I had some really REALLY awesome days...now please don't make this into something that's not discouraging. It should be. But I can see the revolving door aspect...because sometimes real life can suck and it's just an easier way of living. That's why I really wish people like me would come out more about being in prison. This isn't a place for baby killers (or murders in general) It's not a place for people who commit crimes of that magnitude. It wasn't hell like people say it is. You get your own freedom. We could go outside we could get passes and go to the library and humdingle are ways there. I made hooch while I was there...women get drugs and cigarettes. Woman had sex with guards, or other inmates. It's just a different way of living. I knew people who got so much money on their books they would have a stock pile and run a store. They always had fresh clothes and shoes. They had TVs and movies. Granted I had hand me down headphones and watched movies and shows from a small tv screen but man was those movies good! I met a girl who was doing 30 years for a crack rock the size of a quarter. Then we met a woman who ran the church when we went to the library (I didn't attend church) She apparently had a 6 month old son and sodomized him with a hot curling iron. She was creepy looking...but the other murders were not so much. Honestly most of the weird people did petty stuff like arson or theft. So in the midst of all of this everyone was telling us that Oprah was going to be there lol. I was like the physical Oprah isn't going to come to Rockville but no one believed me (simple minded) But by god her camera crew sure did. Actually they came as soon as I got there and left as soon as I left it was strange lol. If you check out Breaking down the Bars and you seen the episode with Tiffany and Christina Barclay I was in that dorm. Christina was my case manager and the episode Tiffany was in when she talks about wanting out because she started her period I was working and had to inform the officer about her wanting to get out of her cell. I was actually on the show in one episode...its pretty funny. I was making a Ramon noodle in the microwave i took it out to stir it and didn't know they were filming Larrtha while she was talking on the phone. I had a song in my head and I was slightly dancing lol I turned slowly to see the camera and I walked out of the frame. Probably will be my 15 seconds of fame...and I'm not proud. It was a strange trip that's for sure. I made due. I am an artist and did some of my best pieces while I was in there. (made my currency too) I haven't been able to drawn since. I did take the time to reflect. I am now a happily married mother of 2. I have an amazing life. If I could go back I wouldn't change a thing. It made me the person I am today. Thank you for starting this thread.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 AM

Thanked 1,818 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie3566 View Post
Hi everyone! I have served time in Rockville Correctional Facility for Women in Indiana. I have always longed to share my feeling while I was in there, how things are in a womens prison. I want to offer advice or answer questions about what it was like in there for me. I was convicted of 7 counts of theft, a class D felony. I don't know if my story is of use to anyone but I feel the need reach out to those who have questions. I was in prison about 5 years ago. I have always felt ashamed and told no one about it. People who I see everyday would probably be shocked to know that I was in "prison". It is such a stigma. I will carry my felony conviction for the rest of my life. I will tell you a little bit about what happened. I had a monument company. Yes, I mean headstones. My grandparents were caretakers of a large cemetery here in Indiana. They lived on the cemetery gounds, so I know all about the death industry, how it works. I (along with my hubby) took over the cemetery when my grandparents retired. I had always wanted my own business, so I started this monument company. Did ok for awhile. Later things were going down hill financially. I filed bankruptcy personally and on my business. Later about 7 months later I was arrested and charged with 7 counts of theft. Seven families did not receive the monuments they ordered. To make this a little shorter, the judge had it out for me because of the nature of the crime. He sentenced me to 6 months DOC. I did 3 months and 2 years probation as well as community service. Lots of things happened to me and my family during this time. I want to share with you in later posts......Now my oldest son is going to prison. His charges are different. But now you can see I have been on both sides of the track.
Love you all....
There are always individuals that need that helping hand, and sometimes it helps when its a person who has experienced some of what the individual may be going through as you can relate a bit more. That is very kind of you to take your time to reach out to others. Have you thought about maybe doing something like picking up a penpal? That might also be a great way to help others with your story! Also, the homeless shelter. The homeless shelter is full of individuals who have been in and out of jail/prison and some have severe mental health issues that attributed to their stints. It's very sad, but it's nice to be able to volunteer and help!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:12 AM

My mom is currently serving tin I RCF/IDOC and I miss her to pieces! I hope she get to come home on house arrest in July!!"
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,498 Times in 11,922 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope your Mom comes home soon
Old 01-31-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope your Mom comes home soon
Thank you!!
The Following User Says Thank You to seanamarie For This Useful Post: