Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 08-26-2019, 03:18 AM

Default Facing time in Victoria - no idea what to expect & seeking advice

Hi all,

I'm currently facing the possibility of going to prison in Victoria later this year for several serious indictible offences, and I'm looking to speak with anyone that's been inside or has a loved one inside who can shed a bit of light on the process.

First off, I understand all prisoners in Victoria are processed through Port Phillip before they are security classified and potentially moved to another prison; is that correct and is Port Phillip as bad as they say? I've heard some pretty nasty stories.

If found guilty at court, as far as I understand it, you're taken to MAC (Melbourne Assessment Prison) and then to MRC (Melbourne Remand Centre) before sentencing. Is that correct and can anyone shed light on what the conditions are like in those two places?

If while on remand the case is dropped or whatever, how long does it take to be released? I've heard varying things, from overnight to up to a week.

I've got no experience with the system at all so I'm really going in blind here and thinking worst-case scenario.

Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael644 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2019, 07:59 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,143 Times in 15,548 Posts

Hi Michael,

Im sorry no one has answered you yet, but hopefully someone will come along with good info for you.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Michael644 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:55 AM

Thanks sidewalker. Pretty disappointing to see the Aus section is seemingly pretty dead, as it's not so easy to find information on what it's like inside over here.
sidewalker (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:35 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,143 Times in 15,548 Posts

Oh believe me, here too. I only got info from this site when my hub was in.
Trying to figure out how to visit, what to do, wear, expect!
I thank God I found this site.

for what it worth, from what you described in the first post this sounds alot like what happens here (US)

As to going straight to jail if you are found guilty (or plea) I think I'd prepare for that, just in case. Here you can bail out til sentencing if you have the money to do so, unless they deem you too dangerous to let out.

I really wish someone with info will chime in for you.
You might check any older threads to get an idea. (if you have not already)

That's my dog's nose art

Last edited by sidewalker; 08-31-2019 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: fix a typo
The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Michael644 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 12:07 PM

I went through older threads but not much of the information I could find pertained to the facilities I'm trying to find out about, and what I did find that might be relevant is fairly dated. I recently spoke to someone in person who had done time at several prisons in my state over the years (released in 2011), but they told me that given procedures and general culture is ever-changing, they couldn't really paint an accurate picture of what I'd likely be experiencing. I'm sure the same goes for the US.

Obviously, it's not something I wish to find out first-hand, but I'm preparing for the worst.

Thanks again.
sidewalker (08-31-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:40 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,497 Times in 1,436 Posts

Well....I'm in Texas and you're in Australia. I don't know much about the process, but I know plenty about the experience. I've spent 18 years in prison in Texas for some robberies I committed in the 1990s.
Just be yourself, Michael. Take it one day at a time and know that this too shall pass. Other men lesser than yourself have been in prison, done their time, got out and moved on with their lives. If they can do it then, you can do it. I know it looks scary in the beginning, but it'll all work out if you'll let it. Don't be afraid, you are not alone. Where ever you go in prison there are other men who are trying to make the most of it just like you. Not everyone is bad person in there. You're going to make it through this. Keep your chin up.
fbopnomore (08-30-2019), maytayah (08-31-2019), Michael644 (09-03-2019), sidewalker (08-31-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 07:13 AM

Appreciate it, Firebrand.
Firebrand (09-03-2019)