Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Mental Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mental Health Pleae use this forum for all mental health related issues dealing with the prison system.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 AM

Thanked 1,744 Times in 890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
If any of you guys have any questions or curiosities about any other particulars of how things were like in there, feel free to ask away. I'm an open book. Truth be told, there was so much crazy shit that went on there in C-Block, that I'd be hard-pressed to remember it all without some prompting.

One thing that really surprised me about the whole experience though, was how "humane" it really was, at least once you got out of your state of psychosis and could see things more clearly. I was really surprised by the fact that I never saw them force-medicate anyone against their will. That was a big misconception I had about how those places were run. Instead, if someone chose to quit taking their meds and decompensated, they'd just send them back over to Tier 3 isolation and let them stew in their own misery until a point where they ever decided they wanted to take their medications again and move back to Tier 2 with the more privileges.

Definitely more of a "carrot" approach than the "stick", which surprised me. I'm not sure if actual mental hospitals work the same way, where maybe they can force-medicate you. Perhaps as otherwise "sane" prisoners (at least when we were convicted) we had more rights than those who are actually civilly committed. I have no idea.

It depends on the facility. I have worked in the mental health field for 12 years. There are some facilities that can force medicate you. If you are on a legal hold due to your mental health. There are others who will not. I worked at a facility twice for acute inpatient care and we did not force medication. I have heard many reasons why people do not want to take the medication. It's hard for them to see through the paranoia to see that there are people who genuinely care. Sometimes it is not so easy to find a medication that works. Sometimes it takes people months with different combinations of medications to finally have the voices quiet. Mental health is very real and I wish more people would talk about it vs. creating stigmas. I have seen countless families in denial. You know in Buddhism they say that human suffering is due to not seeing reality exactly how reality is. Some people don't want to see that a loved one is struggling....some don't care to deal with it. I love the field I work in and I absolutely love seeing someone be successful.
Nickel Timer (05-22-2017)
Sponsored Links