Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Default Release Date Accuracy

Hey guys...

So my fiancé was sentenced to 10 months in July... his release date has been put in at 1/19/19.... that’s really awesome but doesn’t calculate out to near 10 months. Don’t want to keep our hopes up if it’s wrong. He just (yesterday) got moved to Hazelton, so that was updated, and figured they’d correct his release date, but still saying January... can it be true???
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,367 Times in 11,859 Posts

Was he locked up before he was sentenced? If so, all that time counts toward his sentence and will reduce the day his sentence is completed. He will not receive any "good time reduction", only sentences of one year + 1 day or more receive time off.

The release date is usually accurate, but if his has been miscalculated, it will be fixed before he is released.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:24 PM

Thanked 1,208 Times in 613 Posts

It may also be less if he was given hc/hwh as part of his sentence. I have seen that occurring with some other people once they’ve shown up or participated in certain programs. He should receive some papers about 4 weeks after he arrived that will give the dates of eligibility so that should clarify things, but he won’t receive any good time credit since his sentence is less than one year.

Either way, definitely nothing to complain about! You can contact his lawyer and/or check on pacer to see if there was some sort of reduction to his sentence.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,336 Posts

You probably know he's not eligible for good time credit, since his sentence is less than a year and a day. The BOP.gov is not the reliable answer to the out date, we frequently see mistakes online. Sorry.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 PM

Yes, I know he’s ineligible for good time, he was in county for 6 days and feds has him about a week before sentencing. I was there for sentencing. He got two 10 month sentences run concurrently... his lawyer said he could maybe do a halfway house but he has a state detainer, the judge didn’t put anything about a Hwh at sentencing.

I can not figure out pacer!!! I really truly want to use it but it says I’m not authorized to do any searches.... I desperately need PACER HELP for anyone who can give me a hand. I promise I’m quick to pick up on things, in fact pacer is the only site that has me perplexed.

Oh how I hope the bop site is accurate but I know it’s most likely not.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Half way house time won't show up on his release date since he would still be "in bop custody" there, just not in a prison.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Was he locked up before he was sentenced? If so, all that time counts toward his sentence and will reduce the day his sentence is completed. He will not receive any "good time reduction", only sentences of one year + 1 day or more receive time off.

The release date is usually accurate, but if his has been miscalculated, it will be fixed before he is released.
You know, I'm still confused (after almost 4 years of my friend being incarcerated). His original release date was listed at 6 months after the date he'd been arrested for this charge. I don't understand why the BOP doesn't list it as the day he was incarcerated...he was in BOP Custody the entire time.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

That is a fairly common problem that can usually be fixed. He needs to file an inmate grievance asking to receive credit for every day he was locked up awaiting his sentence. As long as it was for the same case, he would have been listed as "in US Marshal custody" and it definitely is counted by moving his start of sentence to the day when he was first locked up (as long as he remained in custody until he was sentenced). If not, he is still entitled to day for day credit towards his bop sentence for every day he was in pretrial custody.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I can not figure out pacer!!! I really truly want to use it but it says I’m not authorized to do any searches.... I desperately need PACER HELP for anyone who can give me a hand. I promise I’m quick to pick up on things, in fact pacer is the only site that has me perplexed.

Oh how I hope the bop site is accurate but I know it’s most likely not.

You'll need to create an account with Pacer. They charge a couple of cents per page. Alternately, if you have a friend who's a lawyer, they'll probably already have a Pacer account, and might be able to look up the info for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 04:19 PM

Thanked 1,208 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mtg00 View Post
You'll need to create an account with Pacer. They charge a couple of cents per page. Alternately, if you have a friend who's a lawyer, they'll probably already have a Pacer account, and might be able to look up the info for you.
Anyone can set up an account with pacer. You then have to wait for them to send you login info or a password, if I recall. Then you can change it. They charge $.10/page up to a certain page limit per document. They charge your quarterly and if you're quarterly total is less than a certain amount they don't charge you at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:22 PM
Donation Award 

What do you want to look up on Pacer? PM me if you want. I use it every day.

If he has a detainer, he won't go to a halfway house.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-15-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 01:14 AM

I thought it had his release date on pacer but misunderstood above poster. Was able to read all the documents for his case but it’s stuff I already knew. Oh well, right now it’s easier thinking I just have to get until January... then when they tack on the extra 3 months it’ll already be almost over. I know it’s most likely 99% a mistake but it feels good thinking January for now. I was prepared to wait 8 years for him so 10 months was a GIFT I paid a lot of money in lawyers to receive. Thank you all for your help!!! I was hoping it was more accurate but oh well.

Thanks again!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelbay928 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:50 PM
Donation Award 

Pacer only covers Court stuff. The out date is set by the BOP. It’s pretty confusing in the beginning, but your friend’s situation is straightforward, for once.