Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > Oklahoma General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oklahoma General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oklahoma that do not fit into any other Oklahoma sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:26 AM

Yes, DOC does take 20% of whatever money that you send into your ol' man but that 20% goes in a trust fund for that inmate. The catch is though that they can't touch that money until they walk out of the prison system, either on parole or discharge. I've done some checking and reading on the Oklahoma DOC Policies and that is what I had found.

sjm76
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2005, 11:40 PM

[quote=SupportiveSis]Just a quick question - What is this about tests that SOs are required to take, polygraph, etc. Can someone direct me to this info?

I'm not exactly certain whick tests JC was refering to but below is a House Bill that's not passed into legislation yet. Possibly it's something like this.
HB1219Paraphrase:requires DNA testing of any offender convicted of committing a felony offense and requires all felony offenders to pay a DNA fee of $150 to cover the cost of implementing the tracking program. The measure requires felons sentenced to unsuervised probation to submit for blood or saliva testing to the sheriff of the sentencing county. It allows the OSBI Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) to include secondary databases that include a forensic database of unknown evidence samples, a suspect database of samples taken from individuals as a result of criminal investigations, a convicted offender database and a missing persons and unidentified remains index or database consisting of DNA profiles from unidentified remains and relatives of missing persons. Principal Authors:Fred Morgan (H), Glenn Coffee (S) Effective Date:01/01/2006Emergency:No Status Date:04/07/2005Current Status:Dormant
Old 11-11-2005, 10:12 PM

FYI, the money taken from Colorado inmates goes to pay fines. And it is 20%. On the subject of money, how do you all send money to your inmates?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:09 AM

Just an FYI people. I was not sure what the status of this item was so I e-mailed the DOC person in charge of that area. His response is below.

We need to get a letter writing campaign to the legislators to protest this belfore it goes to them in Feb. Taking money out of the pay the inmates earn is one thing. They treat it like automatic savings so when they get out they'll have some money. BUT when I send money to my guy, he should get the whole sum that I send, not a penny less. If I want to take part of the money and start him a savings, I will.

AND what happens to the LWOP folks who will never see the outside of the gates? They won't ever get thier part so where does it go? Hopefully to thier nearest relative but I have serious doubts. ANYWAY here's the e-mail...

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:11 PM
To: Justin Jones
Subject: Question about Info from "Director's News Update"

Hello Mr. Jones

I have a question about an item in the 10/7/2007 Director's News Update.

There is a list of "proposed initiatives" that were to be pursued during the 9/29 legislative session.

When were those to be decided? Is that info posted somewhere?

I was specifically curious about the status of the proposal requiring 20% of mandatory savings to be taken out of any money an inmate receives.

http://www.doc.state.ok.us/docs/Directors_News_UpDate/10%2007%2005%20LEGISLATIVE%20INITIATIVES.pdf

Nikol Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:24 PM
To: Glenn, Nikol SEA
Cc: Neville Massie
Subject: RE: Question about Info from "Director's News Update"

Thanks for asking….the 20% mandatory savings is now in the form of a legislative bill and will start working its way through the session that starts in Feb. For more information you can e-mail Neville.Massie@doc.state.ok.us she is our new legislative person

Old 12-25-2005, 04:49 PM

Cool Doc Taking 20 %

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikol
Just an FYI people. I was not sure what the status of this item was so I e-mailed the DOC person in charge of that area. His response is below.

We need to get a letter writing campaign to the legislators to protest this belfore it goes to them in Feb. Taking money out of the pay the inmates earn is one thing. They treat it like automatic savings so when they get out they'll have some money. BUT when I send money to my guy, he should get the whole sum that I send, not a penny less. If I want to take part of the money and start him a savings, I will.

AND what happens to the LWOP folks who will never see the outside of the gates? They won't ever get thier part so where does it go? Hopefully to thier nearest relative but I have serious doubts. ANYWAY here's the e-mail...

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:11 PM
To: Justin Jones
Subject: Question about Info from "Director's News Update"

Hello Mr. Jones

I have a question about an item in the 10/7/2007 Director's News Update.

There is a list of "proposed initiatives" that were to be pursued during the 9/29 legislative session.

When were those to be decided? Is that info posted somewhere?

I was specifically curious about the status of the proposal requiring 20% of mandatory savings to be taken out of any money an inmate receives.

http://www.doc.state.ok.us/docs/Directors_News_UpDate/10%2007%2005%20LEGISLATIVE%20INITIATIVES.pdf

Nikol Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:24 PM
To: Glenn, Nikol SEA
Cc: Neville Massie
Subject: RE: Question about Info from "Director's News Update"

Thanks for asking….the 20% mandatory savings is now in the form of a legislative bill and will start working its way through the session that starts in Feb. For more information you can e-mail Neville.Massie@doc.state.ok.us she is our new legislative person

WELL I FOR ONE AM SHOCKED BY THE FAST RESPONSE TO THIS EMAIL.
I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN ANY RESPONSE BACK WHEN I EMAILED ANYONE FROM THE DEPARTMENT.
IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF THIS MAKES IT THROUGH LEGISLATION.
I DON'T FEEL THAT MONEY SENT TO THE INMATES FOR CANTEEN EXPENSES SHOULD BE TAXED. THEY WILL PAY THEIR TAXES ON THE PRODUCTS THAT ARE PURCHASED
Old 12-25-2005, 04:54 PM

It's just a scam to get more money.
The inmates don't get statements showing thier money's growth or who the "holding" company is.
How does anyone even know where it is in the interim?
Gee the DOC is not using the inmates money for other purposes, ARE THEY? Surely not. because that would just be wrong. (sorry- a little sarcasm goes a long way)

"Building more prisons to address crime
is like building more graveyards to address a fatal disease."
Robert Gangi, Executive Director
Correctional Association of New York

Last edited by Nikol; 12-25-2005 at 04:58 PM..
Old 12-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

IN California it is to pay fines and restitution and you should be glad it is only 20% because right now mine is 44% and after january he goes up to 56%.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info about California but I'm not GLAD that the Oklahoma DOC would take any of MY money.
I've done nothing wrong and therefore do not warrant any of MY hard-earned money being taken regardless.

As I mentioned, the money that already being taken out of the monthly "gang pay" as it's called is understandable and a good idea, for those who will get one day to use it. The Oklahoma DOC taking any part of the money that I send is not right and I would not be glad about it at all.

If you will view the earlier posts, you'll see this has all been covered previously and I don't wish to be redundant.

I'm not really bringng the entire issue up for debate again. What I posted this info for is to let those know who are interested in and affected by what the Oklahoma DOC has in store for the $$ they send to their loved ones and that they can speak up if they wish.
Thanks
Nikol

Building more prisons to address crime
is like building more graveyards to address a fatal disease."

Robert Gangi, Executive Director
Correctional Association of New York
Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 AM

Yes I am concerned-- I understand the mandatory savings and I also am well aware many people upon release never see this money-- or certainly not the amount that was 'supposedly' saved for them to have upon release. But then again it's money going to the DOC to line someone's pocket somewhere. Again it has it's merits but is still yet another area where the OK DOC needs reformation and needs to be held accountable!
Trust although Oklahoma's 'War on Crime' may bankrupt the likes of us all.... the general tax paying citizen has no idea how their money is being wasted....yet it will continue as it's quite profitable personally to those involved! No the average citizen is not empathtic to inmate issues but they are quick to anger when they realize their roads are not being fixed or their kids school programs are cancelled when money is needlessly spent to support a corrupt DOC system that does not need more funding but instead needs a bit of a housecleaning and to be completely reformed.
Just my personal point of view but taking these issues to the people that allow them to happen in the first place seems redundant... take it to the public and let them see firsthand what all this extra funding really goes for... and we might get somewhere.

Last edited by samsfi; 01-03-2006 at 06:52 AM..
Old 01-03-2006, 12:33 PM

Well Said Sam I Agree With You Totally
Old 01-03-2006, 09:46 PM

Samsfi~
I started a post earlier today that sounded almost exactly like yours. HHHMMM great minds...

When I inform people I know about the rediculous stuff that the OK DOC pulls, they are always suprized. What's the best way to get the word out to the public? Collect $$ and take out a full page add in the major newspapers? Send flyers? It just seems so futile! My guy tells me "That's the way it is. They do what they want cuz they CAN!"

I've run accross some really great people who seem to have genuine concern for the inmates. They are the worker bees though and have no control over how the honey gets distributed. It's just so frustrating that there IS SO MUCH money that is going to the DOC but at the very least, they are just not using it wisely, whether there's funny stuff going on or not.

Here's some links to info about money they were just given.
http://www.doc.state.ok.us/BOC/BOC%2...%20Meeting.pdf
http://www.doc.state.ok.us/BOC/BOC_S...OC_Funding.pdf
Is the old saying "don't let a wolf guard a hen house?" or is it a fox? Neither one would be a good choice I guess.

On another note-
I'm terribly sorry for your loss SAMSFI! You take care of yourself!

Nikol

Last edited by Nikol; 01-03-2006 at 09:49 PM..
Old 01-04-2006, 04:21 AM
Retired Law Enforcement

AND what happens to the LWOP folks who will never see the outside of the gates? They won't ever get thier part so where does it go? Hopefully to thier nearest relative but I have serious doubts.

It should go to a Victims fund. It does in Kansas.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Hanks Angie Baby

I think that is ridiculous. However as far as I know, my man gets all of his money. So far I guess, he makes $7. a month. That is so not kewl. But that is DOC for you. Gotta HATE it......

They can't kill us though they may try. One day very soon he will be my husband!!!! Until then I am his "Light in Dark Times" FOREVER HIS

Old 06-12-2006, 12:35 PM

DOC already takes 20% of your honey's gang pay. Starting july 1 they will take 20% of all money you send to your honey
Old 06-13-2006, 05:29 AM
JC's Woman for life

Doc... Was that a new bill that was passed? If so do you know the bill Number? I was just curious cause I like to read the entire bill on somethings.. Thank you
Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 AM

Sb 1964
Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 AM

was just reading about this DOC crap. Does anyone know if this is done in Texas too.If no knows, maybe someone could tell me how to find out. I live in Germany and am 90% disabled. My husband (German) died two years ago so I have a small retirement pension to live on which of course I receive from the German Government. I try to send my boy money when I can and it ticks me off to think that there is the possibility that they can take any of what I am able to send and use it for anything. That money is for my son and the little things like tooth paste so he doesn´t have to use that ww 2 powder they pass out and shaving cream or once and awhile a bag of chips or chocolate. This is disgraceful. I wonder if they do this with the prisoners in Cuba? Sorry but I am very upset over this
Old 06-13-2006, 12:20 PM

Nikol, Thanks for stating what most of us are thinking.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
JC's Woman for life

Thanks DOC.. Everyone may think I'm nuts, but I think it's a fairly good idea... Now of course there is flaws in everything (especially where D.O.C. is concerned), but if it is used to pay off my sweethearts fines, child support whatever it will make things easier for us when he does get out. But I do not think it's fair for the ones that will never see the light of day to take their money. My question is who will?? will it be given back to the families. I doubt that.. I guess I'll just need to start saving all my Money order reciepts so we will know just how much was sent to him during his time "away" (Boy that is going to be a lot of reciepts)

Old 06-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Up on release the inmate is suppose to receive the money back but with out interest. The family would not get the money unless possibly if the inmate dies.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:28 PM

What happens to the interest?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 PM
JC's Woman for life

Goobermom,
If I read it correctly, the interest goes to the Victims Compensation Fund. So actually those of who were convicted in counties that already charge for their incarceration like mine are having to pay this twice so to speak. Cause this is part of fines and cost.. I wonder if they will be able to get an itemized statement like as you would if it was from a bank... prolly not, but it's something that they could do I bet if they wanted too.. I'm still not complaining too much about it.. not like the phones.. but that is in another forum topic.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:41 PM

It just seems like such bs. My guy is a lifer, so who knows if we'll ever see that money again. where he is he can only draw down a certain amount per week for canteen and its already not much. With what I pay w/phone bills, they don't need to take any more money from us. Just pisses me off. More money for them, more money for them to take, just to hear them scream that they don't have enough which I don't buy in the first place.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Aging Scientist

Did this bill pass and get signed by the Governor?

Glenn
"Time for Governor to act on parole recommendation. A. No recommendation to the Governor for parole shall remain under consideration and in the possession of that office for a time longer than thirty (30) days".
Old 06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
jesuslovesyouthebest

I believe it did and goes into effect on July 1.

"No eye has seen , no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him."