Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:11 PM

Default Is Restitution taken from money put on his books in Arizona?

My son told me when he was incarcerated in CA that when money was put on his book that half of it went to pay what he owed in restitution. Does it work that way in Arizona?

We don't know what what is going to happen with my friend but we were wondering when he is sentenced if we should do what we can in commissary or if we can give him money.

Also, I know in county if he has money they are taking $2 a day from his account, do they do that in the prisons?

Thank you for any information.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2020, 08:30 PM

I'd like to know the answer to that question also because as far as my loved one knows, he was told that restitution for him would star after his sentence and once he's out.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:06 PM

Like I said, I'm basing it off what my son told me about 10 years ago when he was in CA.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:00 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,837 Times in 13,682 Posts

Here's what the Arizona Courts say about restitution collections from inmates.
https://www.azag.gov/sites/default/f...n_Brochure.pdf

"If the defendant was sentenced to prison, the Court would still have to order the defendant to pay restitution in the total amount of $9,000. At that point, the Director of the Arizona Department of Corrections can withdraw a minimum of 20% (up to a maximum of 50%) of the inmate’s spendable account. While an inmate’s in-custody earnings may be minimal, an inmate’s account is often supplemented by contributions from friends and family, allowing the Department of Corrections to widen the net and capture meaningful amounts for restitution."
Old 05-04-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhalliburton View Post
My son told me when he was incarcerated in CA that when money was put on his book that half of it went to pay what he owed in restitution. Does it work that way in Arizona?

We don't know what what is going to happen with my friend but we were wondering when he is sentenced if we should do what we can in commissary or if we can give him money.

Also, I know in county if he has money they are taking $2 a day from his account, do they do that in the prisons?

Thank you for any information.
Yeha in Cali its the same, they take 50% for restitution. People do some creative things to get around it using others and stuff. I got around it at first by ordering items from commissary directly while she was in jail, then in prison I buy the 1/4 year package. I would like to buy things for her that she can use as currency in there. I have since just paid her restitution out fully though so to get that out from over her head when she gets out. She wont need to have some stupid debt hanging over her, its bad enough being on parole.

Is it a substantial amount?
Old 05-04-2020, 10:08 AM

He hasn't been sentenced yet so we have no idea. He is going to "pled" today but we don't know exactly what to then I'm guessing they will schedule a sentencing hearing.
The Following User Says Thank You to hlhalliburton For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhalliburton View Post
He hasn't been sentenced yet so we have no idea. He is going to "pled" today but we don't know exactly what to then I'm guessing they will schedule a sentencing hearing.
I know court costs and a few dumb things they make up put my girls "restitution" at like 900$. I put it off a while then paid it in a chunk then the first 50% thing happened...
The Following User Says Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-06-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 02:53 PM

They will tell him at his sentencing. Some people have it taken from there accounts and some do not. My mans sentencing ordered him to pay after time served.

They charge small fees for electric when they have a tv, fan, CD player. And I think something else but I forgot. My man told me a year and some time ago..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
hlhalliburton (05-04-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 03:29 PM

My man told me that they took money out of his account the court for a fine that was due like 1 yr ago i didn't think they can do that and i have no idea i no he had to pay a fine cause i went to court with him what happens if you don't pay your fine in court and surcharge do you get a warrant and will they hold him for that and not release him
Old 06-23-2020, 10:33 PM

Alhambra told me this morning that 20% is taken
The Following User Says Thank You to ShawnsWife2020 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-24-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnsWife2020 View Post
Alhambra told me this morning that 20% is taken
Not everyones case is the same.