Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Mental Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mental Health Pleae use this forum for all mental health related issues dealing with the prison system.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:47 AM

Default Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)

I am looking for people who suffer from BPD. I'd like to know what your experience is, how it affects you, and how you deal with it.

I'm also interested in hearing from loved ones of borderlines and how it affects you and how you deal with it.

I'm not judging, just trying to get some information and support. I know this is a sensitive topic and not one most will want to discuss publicly, so please send me a private message if you or a loved one has BPD and you're willing to talk.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2016, 06:59 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,004 Times in 3,804 Posts

Hi there, I used to be a mental health support worker and I know quite a bit about the symptoms of BPD and living with BPD. If you have any questions I may be able tohelp.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
clever_corvid (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 07:46 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,746 Times in 11,556 Posts

Be sure to read some of the archived posts in this forum. Many of them address BPD from the perspective of inmates, and family members too.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 AM

Thank you, now I have scrolled through and found several threads that were helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to clever_corvid For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 02:34 PM

I'm an open book. I was diagnosed with BPD when I was 21, I'm now 31.

The shortest version is, BPD is hell. I don't have any friends because I can't maintain friendships, I have a hard time keeping jobs. My temper is explosive, and my triggers change minute to minute, day to day, hour to hour. What was okay yesterday may not be okay today. It takes a lot for people to deal with. I'm very fortunate that my husband is low key and mellow because I don't think anyone else could deal with me. BPD is very much "fuck you, I hate you, get away from me" and when the person leaves, you go into a panic and cry and beg them to stay, then suddenly you're in love with them again. That's how it works.
I see things in extremes. There is no grey areas for me. Everything either is or isn't. I either love something or I hate it. There is no in between. The relationships I build are intense. I get attached to people very quickly. This is part of the reason my only pen pals are those serving life with no parole or on death row. It's much easier for me to distance myself and not get AS attached if I know we will never have a tangible, physical friendship (I mean physical in the sense that we can go out and have coffee, see a movie, whatever, nothing sexual. I am faithfully married).
I think the only thing that doesn't really apply to me is the impulsivity. I am not impulsive at all. I'm indecisive.
There is no medication for BPD, but my psychiatrist prescribed me Topamax for my intense mood swings and it helps a lot to even me out. I've been through several rounds of DBT and that has helped a lot as well. I now know how to manage my mood swings much better. That is not to say that I don't have my seriously crazy moments where I hate myself and want to die, or get triggered by something random and pick fights with my husband. It's a rollercoaster.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I am not ashamed of my mental condition and willing to discuss it publicly. I feel like maybe it could help people, even if its just in the sense that we're not alone. You know? It's a pretty common disorder.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nastyfacts For This Useful Post:
clever_corvid (03-25-2016), Cutepixie (03-26-2016), David (04-04-2016), fbopnomore (03-26-2016), maytayah (03-25-2016), miamac (10-12-2016), Ms Sunny (03-26-2016), Ness (03-25-2016), Sarianna (10-13-2016), TawnyStar (10-29-2016), Tinker8ell55 (07-31-2018)
Old 03-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,293 Posts

Yes, I have been diagnosed as BPD. I am now medicated with Olanzapine for the mood swings and am finding that I'm a lot more stable. I don't let things bother me as much and find I cope with difficult situations a lot better. I found the mood swings were so hard to deal with.

If you need to ask any questions, please don't hesitate.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ness For This Useful Post:
clever_corvid (03-25-2016), David (04-04-2016), fbopnomore (03-26-2016), miamac (10-12-2016), Sarianna (10-13-2016), Scott (10-12-2016), sidewalker (03-26-2016), Tinker8ell55 (07-31-2018)
Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 AM

You may want to look on BPDfamily.com. I don't think you would even have to ask questions just go to the forums and read the threads and you will get a lot of answers to your questions.

It's an illness that can take a toll on anyone who loves the person suffering.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:32 PM

Bpd actually is not very common. Anti-psychotics have been known to help such as seroquel, zyprexya, abilify, geodon etc. to stabilize mood. Bpd is characterized by a sense of not having an identity, a push-pull in relationships, fear of abandonment often displayed by leaving the loved one due to fear of intimacy, extreme emotional reactions, history of broken marriages and relationships, intense feelings and changes of feelings.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 18,548 Times in 6,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxzi View Post
Bpd actually is not very common. Anti-psychotics have been known to help such as seroquel, zyprexya, abilify, geodon etc. to stabilize mood. Bpd is characterized by a sense of not having an identity, a push-pull in relationships, fear of abandonment often displayed by leaving the loved one due to fear of intimacy, extreme emotional reactions, history of broken marriages and relationships, intense feelings and changes of feelings.
Common is a subjective term.

"According to the largest study ever conducted on personality disorders (PD) by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), 5.9% of the U.S. population has BPD (Grant et al. 2008) and 6.2% has NPD (Stinson et al. 2008). As some people fit both diagnoses, about 10 percent of the U.S. population has BPD and/or NPD." source

If we go with the low figure of 5.9%, that means roughly 19million people in the US are living with BPD.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 07:00 PM

Thanked 1,440 Times in 794 Posts

Another place to look at is bpdcentral.com.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:32 AM

What's amusing is that my 'generality' was as factual as your stat. But how we love our stats!
Old 10-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 18,548 Times in 6,719 Posts

Quote:
What's amusing is that my 'generality' was as factual as your stat. But how we love our stats!
My point in addressing that is that there is enough stigma attached to mental health disorders that it seems unnecessary to use language around it making those living with feel even more isolated. "Not very common" amplifies feelings of being outside the norm.

Sometimes knowing there are at least two of you makes the walk all the more bearable. I'm guessing your connection here on PTO makes whatever path you're taking feel less lonely. Same-same.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
maytayah (10-16-2016), Minor activist (10-13-2016), Ms Sunny (10-13-2016), nimuay (10-13-2016), Sarianna (10-13-2016), yourself (10-14-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
My point in addressing that is that there is enough stigma attached to mental health disorders that it seems unnecessary to use language around it making those living with feel even more isolated. "Not very common" amplifies feelings of being outside the norm.

Sometimes knowing there are at least two of you makes the walk all the more bearable. I'm guessing your connection here on PTO makes whatever path you're taking feel less lonely. Same-same.
You mis-read my intention. I was not trying to increase the stigma and it is unfair to suggest that I did. I have BPD. I facilitate a NAMI group in my area for people with mental illness. I also am a moderater for a support site for BPD. I volunteer for lots of NAMI programs to reduce stigma in my community. I also take support groups to the local psyche ward. I am in the community fighting for those with MI. There are a large number of people who WANT to have BPD and claim to have it because they think it is trendy and cool. Just check out Tumblir. Many are teens. They self-diagnose because they want to have BPD. This is what I was trying to say in my post but clearly I did not interpret very well. Words can be swords, be careful with yours.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:47 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,133 Times in 7,430 Posts

Quote:
You mis-read my intention. I was not trying to increase the stigma and it is unfair to suggest that I did. I have BPD. I facilitate a NAMI group in my area for people with mental illness. I also am a moderater for a support site for BPD. I volunteer for lots of NAMI programs to reduce stigma in my community. I also take support groups to the local psyche ward. I am in the community fighting for those with MI. There are a large number of people who WANT to have BPD and claim to have it because they think it is trendy and cool. Just check out Tumblir. Many are teens. They self-diagnose because they want to have BPD. This is what I was trying to say in my post but clearly I did not interpret very well. Words can be swords, be careful with yours.
Okay, let's all calm down here.

BPD and other Cluster B personality disorders are so common that most of us have encountered them in our personal lives, especially when we're involved with the criminal justice system.

BPD is the most common diagnosis given to women in prison, whereas Antisocial is the most common diagnosis given to men in prison. (http://www.jaapl.org/content/35/4/490.full) And we know that BPD sufferers are high consumers of patient beds in psych facilities (http://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/a...i.ps.54.8.1149)

We all also know that a dx of BPD can only be made by a qualified professional. I am not such a professional. Anybody making such a dx about themselves or others is not making a claim about the presence of BPD in society or their makeup of society. Anybody making a diagnosis of BPD or any other personality disorder, always defined by a pervasive pattern of thought and behavior that has become fixed, in a child should be corrected and directed to a qualified adolescent psychiatrist.

Somebody coming to PTO asking about BPD and to talk with people who have BPD is either a reporter/researcher, or more likely, somebody struggling with a recent diagnosis in themselves or an incarcerated loved one. Let's respect this.

Let's also respect each other and not quibble over terms. This is not Tumbler or whatever other social media outlet. Those on Tumbler trying to help adolescents understand that what they are experiencing is just adolescence, or that if they are experiencing the other extremes of experience symptomatic of BPD should seek out appropriate help as they can get treatment early and perhaps avoid BPD altogether - this is a very important thing, but not appropriate here unless the OP comes back to this thread and says, "hey, I'm a 15 year old, and I want to know if I'm 'cool' enough to have a BPD dx."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
miamac (10-16-2016), Minor activist (10-16-2016), Oliviapope64 (10-18-2016), space tourist (03-30-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM

Yes, I have heard about it, here individuals are not able to to manage emotions effectively. So doctors generally prefer some mood stabilizers so that individual can get control over their emotions. In BPD sometimes all relationships are affected, sometimes only one. Generally people go for medications as well as for consultation. They prefer consultation because, at that point they really need someone to whom they can share things without any hesitation. They also provide a right direction to the individual. [removed redirect to outside site]. Other disorders, such as depression, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, substance abuse and other personality disorders can often exist along with BPD.

Last edited by miamac; 09-13-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Old 07-30-2018, 07:47 PM

I am a veteran that has it and I have a extensive psychiatric history, I have borderline personality disorder, ptsd, anxiety, depression, insomnia, and adhd, hmmm I wonder if I forgot anything lol!!! I am facing a my 1st felony...assault with a weapon-law officer. I was drunk and pulled gun on cop wanted him to shoot me dead. I have yet to be convicted. My lawyer is having trouble getting a lesser charge to plea bargain to. Judge rejected my Alford plea of guilty which would of got me 5 yrs probation. My lawyer is gonna try one last time to plea a lesser charge......if not it goes to trial. If it goes to trial i am pretty much guarAnteed prison because my original charge carries mandatory prison time because it is a forcible felony.