Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions Discussions relating to inmates on Death Row / facing capital punishment in the United States and abroad that don't fit into any of the other forums

Old 03-02-2017, 06:27 PM

Default Correspondence Courses for Death Row Inmates?

Seeking any information on free courses available to inmates on death row? Do not necessarily have to be college courses for credit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2017, 06:40 PM

Thanked 9,090 Times in 5,214 Posts

It would help to know which agency the offender is housed in...different agencies have different rules on what would be permitted.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:17 PM
attorney

Thanked 18,708 Times in 6,798 Posts

You can contact the person responsible for the blog, Minutes Before Six, and do an ask. MB6 was started by Bart Whitaker, a Texas DR inmate guilty of attempting to murder his entire family. He succeeded in murdering only his mother and little brother. His father's work on coming to terms with a son who did what he did, and the fact that he will probably watch his son die are instructive to parents dealing with a child on death row. Besides this, Whitaker is very intelligent and has worked hard to gain the education he blew off in the real world. He has a bunch of resources , and so do the people who run his blog, for educational opportunities for death row inmates via correspondence. You should note that Whitaker thinks he's smarter than most people, uses a lot of million dollar words, and tries to impress you, and show contempt or you with the books that he's read, so tread lightly, especially if you have a weakness who it comes to your intelligence or education. I don't believe the people running his blog are that way, so talking with them may be the way to go.

Fwiw, MB6 (6 pm being the standard time for execution in Texas, or so I've heard) has a ton of writers to it, some who've been executed, some who've escaped to LWOP or less, and a lot still on DR. It is a good source for seeing the world through the eyes of a lot of other people faced with the same issues. His series, Letters to a Future Death Row Inmate is pretty good - letters written by a variety of DR inmates to somebody who will just come to the row.

Anyway, he does have a number of resources for education. Some of it is for degree, some of it is for certificate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
David (03-15-2017), Ness (07-03-2017), Shelby67 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 AM

I realize this thread is a little old, but hopefully anyone else wondering about free correspondence courses will still find this useful. There is a program called College Guild that offers totally free correspondence courses for inmates. It's loosely affiliated with Bowdoin College. I can't post an URL here yet, since I'm so new, but if you Google "College Guild prisoner correspondence courses" it will pop up right away. The lady who runs it is lovely and helpful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taliba00 For This Useful Post:
Ness (07-02-2017), Shelby67 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliba00 View Post
I realize this thread is a little old, but hopefully anyone else wondering about free correspondence courses will still find this useful. There is a program called College Guild that offers totally free correspondence courses for inmates. It's loosely affiliated with Bowdoin College. I can't post an URL here yet, since I'm so new, but if you Google "College Guild prisoner correspondence courses" it will pop up right away. The lady who runs it is lovely and helpful.
Thank you! I was all set to post that and you beat me to it.

http://collegeguild.org/

They're not accredited but that's OK by the OP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
Ness (07-02-2017), Shelby67 (07-04-2017), Taliba00 (07-02-2017)