Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Met While Incarcerated
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Met While Incarcerated Were you introduced by a friend or family member after he/she was incarcerated? Did you meet as Pen Pals? This Forum is for you!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:54 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,861 Times in 10,459 Posts
Default MWI Long Distance Relationships...

Sebastian and I lived in the same city when we first met, infact when he first misdialed my phone number I was at work and he was just across the street at the county jail waiting to be transferred to prison but it occurs to me that some of you may have met and begun relationships with men/women that lived in and are incarcerated in a different state than your own. Here's a thread to discuss your long distance MWI relationship...

Patty

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Formerly Ray's Angel

When Ray and I first met I was working at the prison where he was. He has since been transferred to another facility. Now I am in a long distance relationship because he is 330 miles from me. I hate the drive but it is well worth it to see my sweetie.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:56 PM
WINNING! Admin

Donation Award 

Hi Rays Angel ~ in no way discounting the distance between you and your man, while Sebastian was still incarcerated he was 2, 3 1/2 then 8 hours away but always in the same state, although the last time JUST barely, LOL.

With all the difficulties in relationships when a partner is incarcerated it made me wonder about the additional hardships faced by those that met and fell in love with someone in a different state.

Patty

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Old 11-18-2006, 10:01 PM

My baby and I are in different states for now...It is really hard, I would give anything to drive 5 to 8 hours to see him whenever I can... where's he's at they aren't allowed phone privileges...I'm planning to relocate soon, cuz I need to be closer to him..
Old 11-18-2006, 10:08 PM

My husband and I were in the state state when we first got together, but before we were married there was a time when he was a few hours away and I didnt see him then. Now he is several states away and I havent seen him in over a year. I think a long distance relationship is hard, but like with anything else prison relationship related if it doenst rip you apart then it will make you stronger.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,352 Times in 379 Posts

Not only many states between us, but the whole Atlantic Ocean too
But we're still together after more than 2 years. Started writing each other exactly 3 years ago.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:52 PM
You are your own product.

HotLatinaMILF4U,
How many times have you said he misdialed your number? How many times have I loved to here it? It was just a real miracle. An xtraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
Really when you look at it like it is - do you think it was really misdialed?
Don't ever stop telling your story - its a beautiful one and people need to hear it.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:55 PM
WINNING! Admin

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaFoxx
HotLatinaMILF4U,
How many times have you said he misdialed your number?
Uuuuuummmmmmmmmm about a million and ironically he says, "it was a one in a million chance at happiness" I tend to agree, still the IDOC could never put ANYTHING but distance between us during his incarceration....

Thanks for the reminder and for your kind words,
Patty

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Old 11-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Where can I find this story? And Texas is the only state I can think of it would take 8 hours to drive through - so did I misunderstand something there?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:00 PM
WINNING! Admin

Donation Award 

mia you can find my story just about everywhere... PM me if you want to hear more as for the 8 hour thing I know that you can drive 8 hours and still be in california where I was born and raised and where I live now in Illinois...

Patty

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Old 11-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

I would love the story, it sounds amazing starting from a misdialed number!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:06 PM
WINNING! Admin

Donation Award 

LOL mia I'll PM u...

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Old 11-18-2006, 11:18 PM
º° Princess °º

My ex and I are practically 2,500 miles apart. The distance really strained our relationship, as I couldn't go visit as much as we would have both liked. It took me almost 18 months to get out there to visit him the first time.

I was planning on moving out there since that is where we were going to start our life...but now I don't have to worry about that.

The distance is so hard, I would rather have 8 hours driving than 5 hours flying any day. At least with 8 hours you can do it if you have to and the trip won't cost you $500 for airfare.

Distance really tests relationships..
Old 11-18-2006, 11:24 PM
To wait is to hope
Donation Award 

California to Illinois, what a move, Patty! I'd like to hear about you like IL, how you adapted to the differences ... Your move is not too different from the one I'd have to make in order to be closer to my man. I just can't uproot my children, though. He agrees with that. If he has not come home by the time the kids go to college, though, I am SO THERE.

Have to say, though, there is no place like CA for me. I know I'd miss this place.

Patience
Old 11-18-2006, 11:30 PM
WINNING! Admin

Donation Award 

Patience ~ and for the record I moved from California BEFORE I ever got that misdialed phone call from my man, however I was ready to move again to another state when he called me, so I guess in a way I hadn't found what I was looking for until the day he called now I"m stuck in Illinois but i"m in love so its all good, sorry for taking this thread tragically off topic...

Sooooooooo any more interesting long distance MWI relationship stuff to share, people???

Patty

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Old 11-19-2006, 12:35 AM
To wait is to hope
Donation Award 

Thanks, Patty. I'll make another comment that's more on topic. In nearly seven years, I've been out to see my love only twice. I meant to go this month too, but I didn't get on his visiting list at his new institution in time.

We take the distance in stride - we are both people who love to write and build trust slowly, so the distance has suited us, in a way. However, we have planned to live up in the Dakotas somewhere, or maybe Colorado ... he wants to be in a rural area. I try to tell him that CA has rural areas, and he says we can live there a little while (when/if he comes home) but he wants to move. As long as my children are settled, I'm fine with that. The important thing for me is us having our very own house, everything OURS. I have my own house now, but he doesn't want to just live with me; he wants to contribute and combine our efforts to buy a house together.

To clarify, he has life plus without parole, but we and a legal team are fighting to prove his innocence. That's why it's "when/if" he comes home.

Patience
Old 11-19-2006, 12:43 AM

Unfortunately distance is irrelevent in my scenario, he is less than five minutes down the road, but he may as well be on the other side of the country because I am not allowed to visit or get phone calls. So I feel that we are also long distance even though technically as far as physical proximity goes I am probably closer than most others are to there men. If anything it makes it harder knowing I am SOOOO close but still unable to see him or hear his voice. I pray he is transferred somewhere else, so that I can visit or he can call. Most people pray for there men to be closer I am praying for mine to be further away.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:09 AM
Closed

I live in England and Alex is in PA, I met him through someone else I used to write to.We were friends for 7 years before we got together.
I've visited once,in February this year,I was due to go in May, but he had a hissy fit and told me not to go, then regretted it once he realised I listened to him and cancelled.Then I was supposed to go in August,but my son's father let me down for child care 2 days before I was due to go, I wanted to go in October but couldn't afford it, now, fingers crossed, I'm hoping to fly on 29th November.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Closed

We are separeted by the Atlantic ocean too. It's a challange, but few good things in life come easy
Old 11-19-2006, 08:28 AM
mj's wife.....finally

Default Long distance love affair

I met my man while he was incarcerated. He is in californai and i am in mississippi. It makes it really hard to see each other regularly, but we want to stay in mississippi. No sense in uprooting the children right now... if things change and he doesnt get a date, i may end up moving closer to him than i live now... but for now we are in agreement that this is just the way things have to be for now. I tell him the distance between us is only geography and in our hearts that is what it is. I can fly fairly cheap if it isnt around the holidays. But my kids cannot go, it would cost me a fortune. I just hope and pray that it isnt too much longer... he will either get a date through the board or the attorney....we will only pray for gods guidance on this though.
happy day
msmomto4

Old 11-19-2006, 09:15 AM
My baby is home!!!!

Thank God, he is only about an hour and 45 minutes away, so I get to visit often. Plus it is kinda on the way to my hometown so even when I go visit my family I can visit him on the way back home.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 AM

Thanked 1,145 Times in 679 Posts

He's only 3 1/2 hrs away now, but the first time I took our son (5weeks old then) he was 14 hours away,and for the first year after our son was born it was 10 hrs out and 12hrs back.When we met, he was about 3 hrs away. 6 months later he was moved 8 hrs away. I was still willing to drive out to visit,...
Old 11-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Well, talk about LONG DISTANCE relationships....

I met Chuck thru Friends Beyond the Wall as friends. We became GREAT friends and then we fell in love.

He is in Spruce Pine, North Carolina and I am in Upstate NY.

When we met, he was in Piedmont Correctional Facility, outside Charloette, NC.

So when I went to vistit, it was 24 hours or so on a Greyhound.

Now he is about 5 hours further away to the west.

It's extremely HARD not only do we have to battle the bars, but the miles too.

I know where y'all are coming from.

Thanks! For starting this thread.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Wanting Him...

Since I met my man, I have lived in Colorado and he has been in Kansas. Doesn't sound like much of a distance, but with the states being as wide as they are and me being only 30 miles EAST of being in Utah...He's been anywhere from a 12 to 16 hour drive from me.

As far as added difficulties - well, yes there are always difficulties encountered in long distance relationships, but there's nothing I'm not willing to work through. I'm looking into relocating back to Kansas (it's my home state) and not just for him...but for me. I want to be there and go back to school, and yes, I am looking to be closer to him also. I've got to be the one to relocate, though, since he has 2 kids and all I've got to be concerned about right now is me.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

We don't even talk on the phone either....