Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Advocacy for inmates

Are there any lawyers or advocates for inmates?

My fiance feels that he is being unfairly treated by a corrections officer. He made the mistake of telling a CO he wanted to stay low and the CO told him that there is no way he would let that happen. Nothing has happened yet but I would like to know what there is available if something were to happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SErubio For This Useful Post:
blondrollergirl (06-19-2017), lulu (05-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Been here forever

I'm hoping someone will be able to help you
The Following User Says Thank You to lulu For This Useful Post:
blondrollergirl (06-19-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:19 PM

It's more mediation than advocacy and I don't know how well it works, but you could try
http://www.state.nj.us/correctionsombudsman/
"
The office investigates complaints when an inmate has failed to get satisfactory results through available institutional channels.
Serving as a designated neutral, the Corrections Ombudsman is an advocate for fairness who also acts as a source of information and referral, aids in answering questions and assists in the resolution of concerns during critical situations."
Old 05-10-2017, 07:23 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,271 Times in 6,966 Posts

if he's not filing a pile of grievances, there's no way anybody's going to be interested in trying to help him out. There are prison projects in New England, but he's gotta show that he's made an effort and his efforts at self help have been unjustly met.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 AM

yes there is a grievance process. there is also the ombudsman. Sometimes the ombudsman works, most of the time not. The grievance process is the worst thing he could do. They are done electronically on the j pay kiosk and are sent to administration. Guess what happens next. Magically the area lieutenant gets his hands on it and gives it to the area sergeant. Magically that sergeant accidentally shows it to the officer that the grievance was written about. If he thinks he has it bad now let him drop a grievance. They will learn every single way to screw with him. And it will only get worse from that point on. I hope you listen and tell him because i have seen this happen so many times.
The Following User Says Thank You to kronikenergy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronikenergy View Post
yes there is a grievance process. there is also the ombudsman. Sometimes the ombudsman works, most of the time not. The grievance process is the worst thing he could do. They are done electronically on the j pay kiosk and are sent to administration. Guess what happens next. Magically the area lieutenant gets his hands on it and gives it to the area sergeant. Magically that sergeant accidentally shows it to the officer that the grievance was written about. If he thinks he has it bad now let him drop a grievance. They will learn every single way to screw with him. And it will only get worse from that point on. I hope you listen and tell him because i have seen this happen so many times.

YOU'RE RIGHT ON. I hope you listen to Kronik!
The Following User Says Thank You to georgelpz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 PM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 457 Posts

I would try the ombudsman first. Here is a link to a NJ advocacy group that might be able to help or give you direction- https://www.afsc.org/office/newark-nj
I hope it can be resolved soon & without more drama for you all.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 06:34 PM

Yea it sucks. Nobody really cares how the guards or other people treat these guys except for us.

It seems that the fear of retaliation is stronger than trying to stand up to bullies. I mean the CO's have authority and power. There isn't really any way for him to deal with that except to try to stay under the radar of the bad guys and hope the good guys do their jobs.

I'm still somewhat new to this but my policy is to talk to my guy before I take any action to make sure I'm not going to cause any trouble for him. Hopefully you will have some luck. Don't give up trying either. Who knows you may be the 1k person who asked and somehow that might make a difference to the right person.