Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Legal Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of New York. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 06-16-2017, 04:54 PM

Default If married in NY prison, how could I find that information?

If Someone was married while they were locked up at Sing Sing, Would it be public record, as in could you look it up on Westchester.gov? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2017, 06:37 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,782 Times in 13,420 Posts

Marriage licenses are public record. Whether you can find it on the .gov, I can't answer....in Ky they aren't online.
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
HisCaramelLady (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:49 AM

Are NY prison marriage public record? My fiance, who was murdered 3 months after he was released ( from a SCI in PA) was doing part of his bid in NY from 2008-2014, 1st @ Sing Sing, then at Orleans. His 1st baby's mother is claiming that they got married while he was in Sing Sing. She's from Pittsburgh and I found out she was telling his family down there.....He denied it when he was alive.....When he was in the hospital, his family let her be in charge of everything (except financial things) even though we were together from 2013 until his death in November 2016. He claimed that he cut all ties with her in 2011 after some one back in Pittsburgh let him know she spent all his money on her and she was constantly cheating on him. But she still tried to hold on to him. Weird individual right up to the time he passed (i.e. she would​ sabotage the times me & him would spend with the kids, also would call him to ask if he was ok (?) And would be shocked when I answered the phone) Thank you
Old 06-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Ok, next Question, where can you look up a marriage license or notice of said marriage? I tried paid services, I.e. been verified, people finder, ancestry.com, and nothing showed up.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:54 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,782 Times in 13,420 Posts

At the Courthouse in the county it was applied for and subsequently filed in.

EDIT:

Quote:
His 1st baby's mother is claiming that they got married
....make her produce the marriage certificate, especially if she's wanting any of his possessions and/or life insurance (if applicable).

Last edited by patchouli; 06-18-2017 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: add comment
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (06-18-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:34 PM

I have Never seen this document, not interested his paperwork from both bids in NY & PA, Nor has she shown one yet, but his family believes her. Forgot to mention she has a rap sheet for being a con artist and forgery in PA......
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,271 Times in 6,966 Posts

All marriage licensed are public record. If she's saying that a marriage in prison isn't, then suspect a con. You can go to the actual courthouse in the county of the marriage (Sing Sing is located in a county) and find the record. Ancestry and services like that may not publish records of people who are alive or recently deceased.

All of his stuff should pass to people according to his will regardless of relationship. His will needs to be registered with the county of his death, the county where he lived, or there's one other that I can't remember. But it should be registered with one of those three counties. His executor should then seize his estate, pay his debts, and distribute the remains of his estate accordingly.

Assuming he doesn't have a will, his estate passes via intestate transfer. As his fiancee, you are entitled to nothing. If she is his wife and they were never divorced, she would be entitled to the share that NY or PA says is hers, and her kids would be entitled to the portion that NY or PA says is theirs. If she wasn't married, then his next of kin for the purposes of intestate transfer would be his kids. If the kids aren't his legal kids (dispute of paternity or something), then his estate would pass to his parents and siblings according to NY or PA law.

You really don't have a dog in that fight. Assuming his kids with her are really his kids, the difference for her is between her having half (guess as to what PA or NY law states) of his estate and her having none with the estate going to his kids equally. All of his kids equally, including any child not by her.

As for insurance and the like - if there's a beneficiary, the money flows to the beneficiary no matter what the relationship.

Now, once an estate has passed to the appropriate parties, they can do with it as they will. They can give everything to Goodwill if they want, or sell it at auction, or use the funds inherited to go to school or buy a sports car or make a donation to Planned Parenthood in the name of Mike Pence (I hear that's still a very popular thing). They can give it all to her. They can give it all to you. It's theirs and they can do with it what they want.

You are not obliged to give back any gifts he may have given you, but you really don't have a dog in this fight.

But, as always, you should check with an attorney in the appropriate jurisdictions (one licensed in both PA and NY would be most appropriate, especially if you have a child by him who should be inheriting as the dispersal percentages may be different in each state). Nothing beats talking with an attorney about estate issues.

But, in as far as the marriage license goes, it is always public record even if it hasn't made its way to the popular databases utilized by the public. If you want to be absolutely certain, go to the county seat where Sing Sing is located and do a physical, paper records check.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
HisCaramelLady (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,271 Times in 6,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisCaramelLady View Post
I have never seen this document, not in his paperwork from both bids in NY & PA, Nor has she shown one yet, but his family believes her. Forgot to mention she has a rap sheet for being a con artist and forgery in PA......
If she insists, and you highly doubt the veracity of her words, you can always turn her in to the police. Estates fraud is a big thing, as is faking a marriage. If she's been subsequently married, then that's something as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
HisCaramelLady (06-20-2017)