Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:53 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default His little sister ODed again - I'm so upset...

My love has a sister who's addicted to heroin. I just got a phone call from his father, whom I've been close to for quite some time now...he told me that my love's sister ODed today. He's at the hospital with her and just finished calling the facility where my love's at to tell my love what happened. His sister survived - she's in the hospital but she's awake, walking, talking and eating without any problems. This is her third OD in seven weeks. Before this most recent OD, my love's sister agreed to go through a ninety day in-patient rehab program. She decided to have "one last hurrah" before going to rehab, she wanted to get as high as she possibly could. I'm not judging her. My Godfather did the same thing, but his "last hurrah" _did_ kill him (he died in a cold, damp corner of my Grandmother's basement - I'm just thankful that I was the one to find him, and not my Grandmother). My love's little sister managed to survive, again. She'll be out and on her feet in no time - apparently she didn't cause any immediate permanent health problems.

I hope and pray that rehab helps this girl find a want and a way to stay on top of her addiction. Right now she's convinced that heroin won't kill her. The last time she ODed, about three weeks ago, my love asked her, "So, what should we do with you if the heroin kills you? Do you want to be cremated, or buried coffin-style next to our brother?" (my love had a younger brother who was killed in a drug related incident). My love told me that his little sister paused, then said, "What do you mean? I'm not gonna die". He said her tone of voice made it sound like he was being absurd. The girl just...doesn't...get it. She's in her early 20's and convinced that she's invincible. The fact that she keeps surviving over-doses seems to be bolstering her belief that heroin won't kill her, even when she takes too much of it at one time.

I guess I'm just really upset right now. Hearing my love's dad literally in tears, telling me how helpless he feels...it breaks my heart and brings back some deeply painful memories. It breaks my heart to hear my love talk about how badly he wishes he was free to support and encourage his little sister. I think he thinks that he can "save" her somehow, even though he tells me he understands addiction. I'm scared that my love's little sister is going to actually kill herself some day. If she dies while he's in prison he'll be so shattered that I don't think he'll ever fully recover. If she dies when he's free, I know he'll feel like he failed her somehow. I try not to think that way - give the girl some credit, people who've been worse off than she is have found ways to manage their addiction well enough to function and stay sober or at least stay alive. Normally I don't have such melt downs over things, but I already had an emotional night and now I'm just really, really upset. I'll feel better after a good night's sleep. I just needed to take advantage of the venting forum tonight.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 03:02 AM

I'm sorry, stories like this break my heart, cuz i found out that my fiance had a drug problem after he went to jail, and getting a phone call like that would have shattered me, hopefully rehab helps her and she can pull her life together, i wish drugs like heroin didn't exist, i feel so bad for addicts they need help, not punishment, and thats the whole problem with the criminal justice system!, i hope things get better for you and your loved ones family!
The Following User Says Thank You to bnjfeb21 For This Useful Post:
HisBlueEyedGal (12-21-2010)