Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
tired

Thanked 14,164 Times in 3,687 Posts
Default Seeking an understanding of Meth moms

I am here to ask questions that I do not understand.
I work with children everyday in the system. I can't say they are unwanted but the drug 'meth' seems to out weigh the want or need for these mothers to quit smoking, 'running', or even snorting this drug. Why is that? Is the drug so powerful that nothing else matters? Please, someone with some real knowledge on this drug (other then me reading about it from a book) explain this to me. I appreciate any and all who reply because I am so damn frustrated today I can't stand it.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
My baby is home !!

Thanked 1,156 Times in 993 Posts

Yes the drug is that strong very very addicting, I have been clean for 4 yrs now and would never never never go back to that life style but unlike alot of people that I hung out with at the time they had no desire to quit but I did and I have.

He's Home as of 7/17/2010
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazycasey183 For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (06-10-2010), gods mercy (08-02-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Love over Fear
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,254 Times in 755 Posts

I am so damn frustrated today I can't stand it.

I so hear you. I'm frustrated with the effect (long term) of the drug. I hope you get some insight.
The Following User Says Thank You to decoprincess For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (06-10-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

This is something i will NEVER understand!!One thing i have ALWAYS done is put my children first.So i have no sympathy for dope fiend or abusive moms!!I so totally understand your frustration!!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:40 PM
My baby is home !!

Thanked 1,156 Times in 993 Posts

Also I never did it around my child "NEVER" but that meant he spent alot of time at his grandparents house which now I regret because of all the lost time but thats also what made me open my eyes and say that I need help and wanted to get clean and I did and I have never looked back

He's Home as of 7/17/2010
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazycasey183 For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (06-10-2010), gods mercy (08-02-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Meth is the devil. When you do it, you really lose all awareness for anything except the
drug. You live and breath for that next high and you will let nothing get in your way. It is VERY addicting, Ive seen A+ students, role models of the neighborhood, mom and dads pride and joy take 1 taste out of pure curiosity and disappear into that life, ruining everything.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:06 PM
tired

I see the effects of this drug threw the eyes of these womens children, it kills me. To see little children cry because 'momma' didn't show up to visit them is a real heartbreaker. I don't understand it.
The DEA and local police give us workshops on this drug, try to explain the effects but how do they really know because they have never touched the stuff~know what I mean? They try to teach us that this drug controls whomever has injested it but I have no understanding how it can consume ones life without remorse or thought on how it effects their loved ones.
I see 20 year old women come in they have no teeth! They weigh 60 pounds and look 90 years old! They have head spasms where they can't focus but jerk. What the hell is so great about this drug?
Anyway, I appreciate all who have answered me.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:09 PM
tired

And crazycasey, I am proud of you for being drug free this long! You go girl!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,161 Times in 731 Posts

Addicts in general seem to "float" into a separate world. In that world they seem able to justify actions and sincerely believe they aren't doing anything wrong. I recently heard someone say - I'm not doing anything wrong - not stealing, pulling copper out of a/c's, selling - nothing wrong at all! She probably wasn't (in her world) but as I told her, hon you are looking at the world from the inside out - I see you from the outside in. And this is what you didn't do........

Over our long journey I've interacted with addicts of all types of drugs - meth and heroin seem the worse altho I witnessed a lottery winner blow through over a million dollars on just junk as a crack addict in eighteen months.

I often wonder if some part of the strong addiction and physical affects from meth could be the "make up" of it. There is no way to know what all has been mixed in with it or the long term affects.

I continue to pray nightly for all addicts and ask God to rescue our generation.

Blessings -

"Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will bring me safely through. Your fist is clenched against my enemies. Your power will save me."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mamajmg For This Useful Post:
aleopassinthru (01-14-2011), bumblebee37 (06-15-2010), crazycasey183 (06-16-2010), dbd335 (09-18-2010), gods mercy (08-02-2010)
Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 PM
tired

I do see them 'float' as you say. I 'floated' in my own little world or bottle for sometime but eventually gave it up. I hurt a lot of people when I was drinking and it was a real b*tch giving it up, withdrawls, shakes, and asking for everyone's forgiveness that I had wronged.
But like I said I work with the children of these women who would rather have 'a rock' then their babies. I just don't understand. Sure there are some great foster parents out there but to see these children grow and start to understand that their 'mom and/or dad' made the choice to do meth instead of sobering up to maintain a home for their child is just beyond my grasp. I guess I will never understand.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:43 PM

Thanked 2,791 Times in 868 Posts

Bumblebee - my daughter was hooked on pain meds (strong ones - oxy in mega doses). She has a legimate medical condition which is extremly painful and was prescribed the meds. When she lost her job, and her insurance, she couldn't afford the oxy anymore and began doing meth. She was addicted QUICK!! She said although it didn't actually cut the pain completely, it sure made her not care. It also got her into alot of trouble - DOC!!! She had weaned herself off oxy, methadone, etc.... , but couldn't quit meth. Cold turkey in county jail and then prison changed that. Hopefully she's strong enough not to go there again when she gets out! It IS an evil drug with deep hooks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dbass For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (08-09-2010), dbd335 (09-18-2010), gods mercy (08-02-2010)
Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 AM
tired

Thats the kind of stuff I am looking for to get further understanding dbass. I gives me a little understanding how strong it is and not just in my office.
This Thursday the state of ____ burys a 'client' because he picked 'meth' over his family. "THE STATE" gets to decide if his children are allowed to attend, God help that worker. I am so glad I am becoming within retirement age and I do not have to see this shit anymore.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Never giving up

Thanked 1,128 Times in 350 Posts

I have seen meth's effects first hand and I can honestly say that I HATE that drug...it took my son and changed him into a stranger who just looked like my son. My hometown is consumed with it - I think it is the drug of the times.

Crazycasey - you go girl!!! great job quitting that drug - that was a huge accomplishment...Im sure it took a lot of strength and determination. I dont see too many people around here that quit it willingly. My son has struggled with different drugs for years but could walk away from them - not without struggles, but could conquer the drug. Not meth...it bit him hard and would not let go. Hopefully this time in prison will clear his head and wake him up. He's been locked up since September and little by little I seen my son emerge from this "meth shell" he's been in. Ive read where there can be lasting effects - that scares me.

I dont understand it , I really dont. Its such a sad and frustrating situation and unfortunately, I dont think people believe the drug has the strength to destroy them until its too late.

God will mend your broken heart
if you give him all the pieces...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leenie46 For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (06-17-2010), crazycasey183 (06-16-2010), dbd335 (09-18-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM

Bumblebee, if you would like you can pm me and we can talk into depth but for now i will tell you that i have been clean for over 2 years i had a child that was taken from me at the age of 2 because of my drug use in 2 weeks i will have gardian ship back and she is almost 6 years old now...i would love to try and help you understand why women like me chose a drug over there own child...i am greatfull to say that im NOT that same person anymore...but if you would like to talk more please pm me thank you.......................But for the grace of God there go I....
bumblebee37 (08-09-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 PM
muyas wife

my nephew has been using meth, he weights 75 pounds ;looks 50 years old has bad side efect habbits and has been in and out of jail, rehap, and prison, he just got out of jail 2 days ago, i talked to him he looked so good, i gave him encouraging words, and guess what the next day he overdosed on it and nearly died, we to are asking him why???? he is now in jail again and i and his mom have signed a petition to put him in a behavriol hopital. this drug is the DEVIL!!!!

my soulmate is now home!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gods mercy For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (08-09-2010), crazycasey183 (08-03-2010), dbd335 (09-18-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM
missing me some chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebug View Post
bumblebee, if you would like you can pm me and we can talk into depth but for now i will tell you that i have been clean for over 2 years i had a child that was taken from me at the age of 2 because of my drug use in 2 weeks i will have gardian ship back and she is almost 6 years old now...i would love to try and help you understand why women like me chose a drug over there own child...i am greatfull to say that im not that same person anymore...but if you would like to talk more please pm me thank you.......................but for the grace of god there go i....
no one can understand the power of drugs until they have been on them an its only by the grace of god that u come out of it. It reminds me of walking in the underworld an you dont see a way out i have had my father, uncle an hubby controlled by drugs i use to get so hurt because i couldnt fight drugs away from my hubby even though he loved me the drug had controll not him an i still will never fully understand what its like unless im on it but i will say this drugs are a mutha$%^* im so glad you are clean an getting your child back my god continue to keep his hedge of protection around u at all times...

2 YEARS AN 5 MONTHS before daddies home...
The Following User Says Thank You to bigc#1baby For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (08-09-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc#1baby View Post
no one can understand the power of drugs until they have been on them an its only by the grace of god that u come out of it. It reminds me of walking in the underworld an you dont see a way out i have had my father, uncle an hubby controlled by drugs i use to get so hurt because i couldnt fight drugs away from my hubby even though he loved me the drug had controll not him an i still will never fully understand what its like unless im on it but i will say this drugs are a mutha$%^* im so glad you are clean an getting your child back my god continue to keep his hedge of protection around u at all times...
Thank you so much for that it means alot its been a real long road..i know if i can get threw that i should be abel to get threw missin my man till he comes home...anyways thank you again god bless you....
bumblebee37 (08-09-2010)
Old 08-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanked 5,445 Times in 1,495 Posts
Default I am guilty of trying to rationalize irrrational behaivor.

There may be some moments of clarity, but the drug is driving. It is the action personally witnessed, for a year, that would allow any trust. Using addicts do not have relationships they take hostages. The disease needs a black and white world with no allowances of crossing of any lines.

Last edited by bluebella; 08-06-2010 at 05:10 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluebella For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (08-09-2010), dbd335 (09-18-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 AM
tired

Sorry I put my post in the wrong forum. I don't come out of the parents forum much.
Thanks for the invite to talk katiebug, I will be pming you soon. I'm not trying to judge anyone but just to understand.
And I am very sorry to hear about your nephew Gods mercy.