Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts
Question What are the symptoms.......

Of someone who is high on cocaine?? Do they act all happy happy joy joy,repeating the same sentences more than once?? Talking so fast they stumble over their words and can scarcely talk,yet they sound so happy??(and very mellow like they don't have a care in the world) But the scary thing is they sound like a totally different human being.Not like themselves at all.And if you didn't know better you'd think you weren't even talking to the person you KNOW you're talking to.I'm afraid someone i know is getting high but i have no proof at all,just a very bad feeling.and who knows i may be completely offbase in my feelings.I don't know why i'm feeling the way i do.i'm just experiencing very heavy feelings though i have no proof whatsoever.I hope and pray i'm dead wrong.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 AM

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,615 Posts

yup those could be signs.
You'll know when the mood swings come as well.
I hope your wrong too..
Old 07-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Still I Rise ~M. Angelou

Thanked 1,670 Times in 763 Posts

Those could be signs, but coke affects people differently. There could also be paranoia, horniness (though it might not "work" if you catch my drift), arguement starting so they have an excuse to leave to go do more, lack of appetite, inability to sleep, and doing things as if they are invincible such as driving like a moron. Also, a person may not act the same way each time. There are other factors that contirbute to behavior, such as how much they did, how much sleep they've had, whether alcohol/other drugs are also being consumed, purity level, etc. With powder, there could be nasal problems. With rock, there could be a strange checking and rechecking of the floor in case they dropped any. I have a friend who is addicted and in jail over it, and these are things I've seen in him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vera31 For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (07-26-2010), Danya (07-26-2010), ohsweetmaryjane (08-01-2010), SpicaRigel (07-28-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM

good afternoon macbeth,
There are so many different signs, it also depends on where they are at in the coming down from effect. If you understand what I mean. So I look for other signs such as change in behaviors, any changes in acquaintances, no money when they really should have many hope everything is ok and your suspcions are unfounded. Best wishes to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondtimer For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (07-26-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanked 1,281 Times in 439 Posts

Beth, that sounds more like pills than cocaine. Although it affects people differently, many people will isolate when they get high. Also aggression and irritation are other indicators of cocaine use.
What you are describing almost sounds like a manic episode, and even though I am not bipolar I would get extremely manic when I abused Xanax and your post sounds so familiar. Is it possible this person is bipolar?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danya For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (07-26-2010), ohsweetmaryjane (08-01-2010), SpicaRigel (07-28-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danya View Post
Beth, that sounds more like pills than cocaine. Although it affects people differently, many people will isolate when they get high. Also aggression and irritation are other indicators of cocaine use.
What you are describing almost sounds like a manic episode, and even though I am not bipolar I would get extremely manic when I abused Xanax and your post sounds so familiar. Is it possible this person is bipolar?
very possible,yes.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:39 PM

Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,605 Posts

For coke, I would look for paranoia above all because people who are strung out on that stuff are super paranoid. Also, look for a perpetual "sinus infection," nose rubbing, sniffing, etc. Or check the arms for track marks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoNpal For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (07-26-2010), Danya (07-26-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 AM

All the posts so far, plus... look into their eyes while under the influence their pupils will be dilated... if using on a regular basis, watch for a grinding of the teeth, and a repetitive pattern... twirling hair, tapping, leg shaking, and facial twitches (especially the mouth)
Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,599 Times in 5,648 Posts

I agree with Danya...i thought about Bipolar also, as I am that and i know friends have asked if i was on something when i was manic.
All in all some good feedback here Beth...
Im glad you are aware of these things, you are a good friend to those around you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpicaRigel For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (07-29-2010), Danya (07-31-2010)