Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Prison and Jail Specific Discussions Profiles and information about Connecticut prisons

Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Default Going to Niantic Women's Correctional Facility / Need Info!

I will be going to jail, Niantic Womens, on Sept. 26th, and I've got some questions. What am I allowed to bring, a book, some crossword puzzles? Will they throw everything out? Clothes, socks? My prescription meds?

Please help me, as it is my first time, and I will be there for four months.

Thank you to anyone,

A.B.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,771 Times in 14,243 Posts

Your 4 months will pass quicker than you realize , but I am sorry that you have to go at all I'm not familair with that facility, but here is the DOC webpage that contains lots of useful info:

http://www.ct.gov/doc/site/default.asp

I do hope someone from Connecticut can better answer your questions, so I have moved your thread to that state's forum

Welcome to PTO!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 AM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

I know you can come in with your clothes and socks and they will usually let you keep your socks with you and your sneakers if they meet the guidelines. I'm not too sure about being able to bring any books or crosswords in though. You should call York and ask them these questions so you can go in prepared. Good luck to you!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM

Don't bring a thing. They don't let you take anything in with you. No one can send you anything but letters either. You can get books, crossword books, etc - but only if sent directly from the retailer to Niantic (like Amazon straight through). And it takes forever to get (you need permission first from the prison - the ed dept, then order it, then when it arrives, it gets processed -- so in four months, you'll leave before ever seeing a book).
Old 09-24-2015, 03:56 AM

What's the daily schedule for inmates day to day at york ci?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:35 PM

My friend was given 2 years in late august. She started working in commissary within 6 weeks. Then started business classes. Work was something like 7am to 4pm. School is only around 9 to 230. This is her first arrest/bid anc shes not suffering too bad...no luck getting to medical yet for her.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:17 PM
attorney

Thanked 20,729 Times in 7,337 Posts

You might want to read some of the work done by the Niatic Women and Wally Lamb. http://www.amazon.com/Couldnt-Keep-M...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Ill-Fly-Away-F...YTAC3KQGX2FK26

Excellent reads, excellent perspectives of what its like in Niatic. Wally Lamb, a noted author, was disturbed about the number of suicides he'd read about in his local paper, all coming from the women's prison. He decided to help. His help was in the form of a writing class every couple of weeks, not commenting on the subject, but on the writing. His personal point of view is that every voice, every story matters, and I firmly fall in that same space. Anyway, it's a way to introduce yourself to some of the people your LO is meeting, if not in fact, at least somebody similar. You'll learn a lot.

There's a current legal conundrum with the proceeds of the books. Last I heard, they were being seized under a "Can't make a dime from your crime" rule. Much of these books is not about their crimes, but about their backgrounds, their decisions, their experiences entering prison and learning to live in prison, playing the prison game. Most of the authors don't want to make a mint from their writing - they devalue their writing - but in part because they want to choose the charities to receive their royalties, stuff that would have a much greater impact than just getting thrown into a victim's compensation fund administered by the State's Attorney.

anyway, if you want some experience with the place, read those books. They should also be available in Niatic, so you could read them with your LO, and talk about what's being said, why, what's different, etc. It's a good way to talk about her prison life there.