Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Recidivism and Re-entry
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Recidivism and Re-entry Share information, research, and personal experiences.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:20 AM

Thanked 1,065 Times in 304 Posts

I understand where you are coming from. I do agree that traumatic experiences, background, poverty, broken families are a contributing factor.

BUT....not everyone from the inner city, or broken homes or living in poverty end up in prison.

Many of the COs in my prison come from the same "streets" as the individuals that are incarcerated. THEY are the biggest critics. They also dealt with drugs, broken homes, friends getting shot and even harassment by cops. But they choose a different life. Why is that?

Recidivism is a difficult topic. Books have been written on the subject and we could go back and forth on it for years. to keep it short, it is a double edge sword.
#1 The individual HAS TO WANT to stay out of trouble. Many individuals suffer from what is called "anti-social personality disorder". It's in their nature to be self destructive and continue to commit crimes, even after a long stint in prison. Poor decision making skills coupled with a lack of regard for the rights or feelings of others.

#2 Society HAS to be able to welcome individuals with criminal histories back into society. Time and again I read stories on how folks can't keep a simple minimum wage job because of their record. This needs to change if folks are going to not end up back in prison. The temptation is there. Work at Mcdonalds (if possible) or return to robbing and drugs?

For those on what we call "Life on an instalment plan" who keep coming back I find that many times they do age out or mature out of that criminal life. But that sometimes takes decades to get there. it's guys in their 40-50s who finally go...I'm tired of this !@#$. Some of those do get out and finally stay out of trouble. Others, well like your PP....have a life sentence to deal with.

[quote=carm2405;7825854]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post

Was it really a "choice" though?? Or are many people who end up in prison on the road there before they even leave childhood, due to traumatic background, social issues, poverty, broken families, etc....
Many people who end up prisoners have little chance of "choosing" another lifestyle due to the deal life has thrown them...

Regarding "recidivisim", maybe one of the best solutions to this might come from fellow prisoners. Here's a good one I heard from my penpal recently. He was angry because he constantly sees people leave, only to come back a year or two later. A few days ago he confronted one of these "returners" and said: "Huh... so you don't like freedom??"
The guy said: "What's up with you... you okay??"
My friend said "No... I'm never okay with your type... all I ask for is one chance, but I still have life..."
And with that the guy's face dropped. He got the message.

Maybe this conversation will do more good to prevent that guy from coming back in again after he is next released.
Just a thought!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
carm2405 (08-30-2020), fbopnomore (08-30-2020), GaReform (08-30-2020), Ms Sunny (08-31-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
BUT....not everyone from the inner city, or broken homes or living in poverty end up in prison.

Recidivism is a difficult topic. Books have been written on the subject and we could go back and forth on it for years. to keep it short, it is a double edge sword.
#1 The individual HAS TO WANT to stay out of trouble. Many individuals suffer from what is called "anti-social personality disorder". It's in their nature to be self destructive and continue to commit crimes, even after a long stint in prison. Poor decision making skills coupled with a lack of regard for the rights or feelings of others.

#2 Society HAS to be able to welcome individuals with criminal histories back into society. Time and again I read stories on how folks can't keep a simple minimum wage job because of their record. This needs to change if folks are going to not end up back in prison. The temptation is there. Work at Mcdonalds (if possible) or return to robbing and drugs?
Yes, sure... I agree with you. The majority of people don't do crime or end up in prison. We are talking about those who do... why do some kids drop from school and get into drugs and crime??

One answer to this question is what you mentioned - kids with personality disorders... and what can be done to help them?? It reflects back on society and mental health-care, and outreach to kids at risk... I would put more blame on society than on the kids in question...

Another reason why kids get into crime is because they are groomed for it... they are born into a criminal family. With my own eyes I once witnessed a man in his 30s teaching his son aged about 8 how to break into a car. It was on a CCTV camera of a place I was in... I was able to see the footage of it after the robbery was reported.
What chance has that 8-yr old kid got to lead a crime-free life, if he is being taught it from an early age??

The two points you make are valid - a person has to WANT a better life... and then society has to ACCEPT him/her and allow them to make a new start. I think the second part could be the most difficult, and I am not sure what the answer is to that one!!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisaacs View Post
Wow that would be extremely helpful. Thank you so much!!

So first I would like to know about if the prison you work in offers education programs, if so, how do you feel about them? If not, do you know of other officers who work in a facility with an education program and have heard anything from them?

Can you tell me a little bit about any incarcerated individuals who come back to prison after release and what you think might set them apart from the individuals who stay out?

Do you have any advice for a formerly incarcerated individual who wants to stay out of prison?

And lastly, if you prefer, we can privately message about this too. I just want to encourage as many responses as possible.
The sad part is alot of them only no prison they get so accustomed to it that they can't survive out here in reality
Old 08-30-2020, 05:29 PM

[quote=Bikerguy;7825898]I understand where you are coming from. I do agree that traumatic experiences, background, poverty, broken families are a contributing factor.

Many of the COs in my prison come from the same "streets" as the individuals that are incarcerated. THEY are the biggest critics. They also dealt with drugs, broken homes, friends getting shot and even harassment by cops. But they choose a different life. Why is that?

For those on what we call "Life on an instalment plan" who keep coming back I find that many times they do age out or mature out of that criminal life. But that sometimes takes decades to get there. it's guys in their 40-50s who finally go...I'm tired of this !@#$. Some of those do get out and finally stay out of trouble. Others, well like your PP....have a life sentence to deal with.

The majority of them come right back due to addiction it's very sad more than half of inmates are in PRISON due to addiction that's why they committed their crimes
Old 08-30-2020, 08:19 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 953 Posts

The how & why causes of criminal behavior has long been debated. There are some people with poor choices. Others just like doing bad things. Still others learned the wrong lessons from things in their lives. We need to focus on fixing the people that can be fixed by improving the way society views people who don't fit the mold.
There is an excellent site that gives a lot of info on stopping recidivism & youth crime. The group is RED- Rehabilitation Enables Dreams. It was started by David Windecher,an Atlanta lawyer who was incarcerated as a young man. David is very involved in advocacy & trying to change things so that the upcoming generations break the cycle.https://stoprecidivism.org/the-schoo...ison-pipeline/
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
carm2405 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:06 AM

Thanked 1,065 Times in 304 Posts

Your first question?

Why do some drop from school and get into drugs and crime? Well I have found, people are individuals and we have millions of different reasons. Many of them are quite similar and I am an optimist and I hope that things can change. Will I ever be out of a Job? Probably not, but Corrections struggles with staffing issues. It would be nice to have a smaller population that is easier to manage (and provide more meaningful programs)

As with the anti social personality disorder. I do agree some of it is probably environmental, learned behavior from a young age if you will. We can and should address it with mental health and interventions etc. There just never seems to be enough money to go around though.

Your story of the 8 year old being taught how to steal by the adult is truly sad. There is no way around it. It is not a singular incident. We here stories of this all the time.

As for society and the ex-felon. I am all for "ban the box" I think it is a good concept. (no box on the application about prior crimes). Employers should of course know about someones past history. But let them make that call AFTER the interview and a background check of the individual...AFTER you have a face to the name. I feel many more folks would get a second chance if they were just able to sell themselves and employers were willing to take that risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carm2405 View Post
Yes, sure... I agree with you. The majority of people don't do crime or end up in prison. We are talking about those who do... why do some kids drop from school and get into drugs and crime??

One answer to this question is what you mentioned - kids with personality disorders... and what can be done to help them?? It reflects back on society and mental health-care, and outreach to kids at risk... I would put more blame on society than on the kids in question...

Another reason why kids get into crime is because they are groomed for it... they are born into a criminal family. With my own eyes I once witnessed a man in his 30s teaching his son aged about 8 how to break into a car. It was on a CCTV camera of a place I was in... I was able to see the footage of it after the robbery was reported.
What chance has that 8-yr old kid got to lead a crime-free life, if he is being taught it from an early age??

The two points you make are valid - a person has to WANT a better life... and then society has to ACCEPT him/her and allow them to make a new start. I think the second part could be the most difficult, and I am not sure what the answer is to that one!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
carm2405 (08-31-2020)