Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM

Default Programs for ex-felon entrepreneurs

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but, one topic that comes up frequently in discussions with my husband is opportunities for employment post release. It's a ways off, given his sentence, but something we think about.

We've come to the conclusion that his record will be seriously problematic. However, he is brilliant with advanced degrees in engineering and finance. He sees a lot of wasted human capital behind bars and would like to do something to provide opportunities for those with a record.

I would be willing to back these initiatives. Perhaps there are agencies that would endorse this and provide support.

Where to start? I dunno, just thinking out loud at this point.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 AM

Thanked 1,084 Times in 603 Posts

I've seen a few programs like that and they've all been just for one place. Worth studying how they work.

The National Incarceration Association (https://joinnia.com/) is a place to start, not with a "can you help" question, but with a "who do you know who could work with me on this" question.

On the practical side if you can line up insurance and bonding then that makes it easier for an employer.

If you've got a really cool state legislator you could angle for a startup grant or a contract.

Last edited by Minor activist; 11-06-2017 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Restore paragraph breaks
Old 11-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Thanked 1,252 Times in 519 Posts

I think that's a great idea. There is amazing talent behind bars that when released need help putting those talents to work. I have found several groups trying to make a difference. You might research the National Incarceration Association (joinnia.com), Defy Ventures https://defyventures.org/, & Zerosixeight http://www.zerosixeight.org/ .
I don't know where you're located but there are other groups that want to help people have a successful 2nd chance. Your help is going to be appreciated by any group. I have lots more info on other groups if you need it.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:14 AM

I, and any other investor, public or private, will want to see a solid business plan. Something to work on. In the meantime, perhaps get involved in education and training initiatives on the inside to cultivate a talent pool?

My husband, in the past, ran mentorship programs for newly minted MBAS at his company and has remarked that quite a few of the younger guys he has met behind bars are remarkably similar to those folks, just chose a different path due to circumstances. Whatever the end result, perhaps a positive step and worth pursuing.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Absolutely, I encourage you!

This is a good idea and it's needed.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Hitting obstacles right away with parole restrictions. Barred from associations with ex-felons. Other restrictions. Yuck.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:37 AM

Thanked 4,036 Times in 2,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyx View Post
Hitting obstacles right away with parole restrictions. Barred from associations with ex-felons. Other restrictions. Yuck.
I wonder if this can be gotten around basically the same way halfway housing and sober living situations.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Maybe just focus on training. DH bitches about antiquated and inefficient systems out of step with current technology and practices. Well, maybe get folks to improve, say, the search engine at the library. Yes, the current system is outdated and laughable. Train some promising young guys to fix that. Valuable skill for later, and perhaps you get a better search tool while you're in. Never mind the 70 cents an hour, yes insulting and well below market rate for such work. Consider it volunteer work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babyx For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Well I know the good intentions are there but its not a very rewarding objective. I know you want to help him but maybe if he focus's on his life and improving it rather then helping others improve theirs he might be more successful with this.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Well I know the good intentions are there but its not a very rewarding objective. I know you want to help him but maybe if he focus's on his life and improving it rather then helping others improve theirs he might be more successful with this.
We are thinking about life after incarceration, for him. The options are pretty bleak. Maybe a more entrepreneurial approach is needed, but there are significant obstacles. A big aspect of a successful enterprise is cultivating a talent pool. Perhaps a focus on that. At least it's more productive than other pursuits.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
We are thinking about life after incarceration, for him. The options are pretty bleak. Maybe a more entrepreneurial approach is needed, but there are significant obstacles. A big aspect of a successful enterprise is cultivating a talent pool. Perhaps a focus on that. At least it's more productive than other pursuits.
Unless your depending on your own talent, and maybe start out small. Because of having a record lot's of fields are no longer an option. That doesn't mean you can't learn new skills and use them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Babyx (11-08-2017), Ms Sunny (11-09-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Just in general, a focus on helping others is tremendously helpful for him. He's done well helping his cellie cope with the aftermath of major surgery while incarcerated. It's a good direction to pursue, as far as I can see. Better than the alternative.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Oh, this is going to be uphill work. You're still right to push it.

Some parole officers make some exceptions to the rules about associating with felons when they can see that it's part of keeping people out of trouble. How have the other post-prison jobs programs handled that issue?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:43 AM

My point is focusing on helping others doesn't help him and frankly he needs to help himself. I kind of understand what your dealing with and I know his intentions are good, but if he is just putting his strengths into others he won't accomplish what he needs to do for himself. Basically the same approach you'd use in drug treatment or any 12 step kind of program. You can't fix others without fixing yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (11-09-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Oh, this is going to be uphill work. You're still right to push it.

Some parole officers make some exceptions to the rules about associating with felons when they can see that it's part of keeping people out of trouble. How have the other post-prison jobs programs handled that issue?
Good question.

There needs to be support from outside/ gov sponsored agencies to address this. Otherwise it's a no - go.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 PM

I'm getting into total guesswork here. Any of the lawyers here are welcome to provide a reality check.

Those conditions of probation are imposed by the judge? Usually boilerplate?

Could judges be urged to write conditions of probation to permit pursuing lawful employment and business with people who have records?

Developing a talent pool includes education. Here's some people who've been making a go of it for years: http://postprisonedu.org/pages/1/about-us/ It's not the same problem you're working on but I bet they've had to fight some of the same issues you will.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I'm getting into total guesswork here. Any of the lawyers here are welcome to provide a reality check.

Could judges be urged to write conditions of probation to permit pursuing lawful employment and business with people who have records?

Developing a talent pool includes education. Here's some people who've been making a go of it for years: http://postprisonedu.org/pages/1/about-us/ It's not the same problem you're working on but I bet they've had to fight some of the same issues you will.
Hey Minor this is the same person who was giving out commissary as rewards for those who walked away from troubling situations. The whole idea is good but not for this particular inmate at this time. OP might want to feed his delusions but I don't.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Hey Minor this is the same person who was giving out commissary as rewards for those who walked away from troubling situations. The whole idea is good but not for this particular inmate at this time. OP might want to feed his delusions but I don't.
Yeah, he may be delusional at the moment, but he does have a successful track record and a resume. Brilliant, but fragile, mind. I do maintain hope that he will return to his former self. If so, then what? I've seen the better side for 20+ years. The creature he has become is the aberration. I have hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babyx For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, he may be delusional at the moment, but he does have a successful track record and a resume. Brilliant, but fragile, mind. I do maintain hope that he will return to his former self. If so, then what? I've seen the better side for 20+ years. The creature he has become is the aberration. I have hope.
I am not saying there's no hope but I would encourage him in way's that help him. Right now his goals should be focus on himself not others.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:32 PM

>would like to do something to provide opportunities for those with a record.

That could be many different things. Narrowing it down needs to be done early on.

Making inspiring speeches to donors, negotiating with insurance companies, identifying talented people from the prison -- each of those takes a different skill set and there's every reason to have more than one person on board. Picking winners is something that a mentally ill person can do. I've known several m.i. people who were among the most perceptive I've ever met.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I'm on federal probation and I work at a job with many other felons. My PO is ok with it and I'm allowed to develop personal relationships with my felon co-workers as long as I provide her with their information.

From what I understand, the whole "no contact with other felons" thing is taken on a case by case basis.

I don't think it's too smart to go into business with the people you met in prison. Yeah, there's wasted talent in there but the way people act in prison is not the way they act outside.
The Following User Says Thank You to TTTy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-04-2017)