Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Indiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 03-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Securus Montgomery county

Hey my baby momma just got to Montgomery county.securus is trying to charge me like $13.89 for ONe 15 minute call...it wasn’t NEaRLY this exaoensive in Tippecanoe County...Is there a cheaper way to get calls?also I am in Georgia right now is that why it’s is so exspensive?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,326 Times in 2,892 Posts

Every state has their own contract with the phone companies, but I can say that long distance calls are often expensive. The amount you listed sounds similar to what I've heard people from other states mention.

Hopefully someone from Indiana will be along soon who knows more about IN state's contracted prices and can give you specific information.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Thanked 1,062 Times in 512 Posts

I think a lot of it has to do with the long distance. When my son was sentenced what we found was that our calls when up substantially when he went to prison. The prison was long distance for us, but the calls were still only in the $7 range. What some people here were discussing at the time was getting a phone with a local number to the prison so that their calls were not long distance. I never tried that as I couldn't afford a 2nd phone and I had to keep the one I had for other reasons. I don't know about roaming charges. No one mentioned those as being an issue. I don't know how long you are going to have to deal with the jail/prison system but you might check into that to see if it can work for you. I don't know if they are still around but there used to be a lot of phone companies that said they could save you money if you called them. If they are still around be careful as a lot of them would forward the calls and that is a no no. There is equipment attached to the jail phones to catch that type of thing and you can get disconnected and even loose phone privileges.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

I had a second phone for my Dad. It was a cheapo flip phone that I put on my normal cell phone plan, but I didn't give it texting or internet access on my contract.

It cost about $8/month, and when I activated it, I could ask for a specific area code/exchange. So you can look through the yellow pages for exchange numbers near the prison, then ask for a number with that exchange. You may even be able to get that information from Securus by calling them.

Of course, about 6 months later, Oregon changed phone providers and they got rid of long distance unless it was for a foreign country. But I still kept "Dad's phone" because it was really useful to have a small phone that would fit in almost any pocket and where I knew that the only person who would be calling that number would be my Dad. I kept that phone the whole time my Dad was in. Then I donated it to a domestic abuse shelter.

It definitely works as long as the phone is in your name. It's far better than using google forwarding or any other call forwarding system, as this is completely legal so you won't lose your phone privileges by doing it this way. Unfortunately, yes, it does cost money both to get the "spare" phone in the first place and to keep it going on your cell phone plan. If you don't want to deal with a cell phone plan, you can also get a pay-as-you-go phone, still keep it a flip phone, and have a "prison only" phone. Your other option is to flat out change your number on your current phone, but that's a pain as you have to change your phone number everywhere (e.g., doc's offices, work, amazon etc).

Thanks for reminding me about that Tigrldy!
Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 PM

Thanked 1,062 Times in 512 Posts

I think a lot of younger people have forgotten about long distance charges because cell phones don't charge them. The prisons and jails have land lines so long distance charges can apply. The area code for Montgomery County is 765.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

You may need a phone number with the correct extension as well. The extension is the next 3 digits after the area code.

For instance: 123-456-7891
123 = area code
456 = extension
7891 = number.

The phone companies often will still break things down by Long distance, local long distance, and local. "Local long distance" has to do with the extension.

It took a little leg work, but I figured out which extension made it "local" and not "local long distance" when I got my flip phone.