Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:17 PM

Default Will they violate me for not finding a job even though I'm really trying?

I just got out of jail a few months ago, I'm 18 and was charged with 1st degree burglary and grand larceny, I was give 5 years Y.O.A probation.. I have to report in a few days, I have been attending my GED Class and progressing quickly in it. I have to report to probation in a few days, I have not been able to find a job, I have put in applications and I have taken pictures of them to show my officer. I'm wondering will they violate me? (If I do violate I go to prison for 3-6 years)

(I also apologize in advance if this doesn't fit, I'm new here and just looking for some input. Thank you all in advance)

Last edited by rocol13; 03-11-2019 at 03:21 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 05:45 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,175 Times in 15,719 Posts

First things first rocol13: Take a deep breath. While I'm not familiar with SC, I'd have to say that as long as you're putting in applications, going to interviews (if asked to interview) and there have been no other issues, such as dirty UA's, missed PO appointments, new charges, etc I highly doubt that you'll be violated.

Actually, part of the PO's job is to help you with resources so you don't violate. Ask your PO about recommendations of employers that may be hiring and/or that hire felons. Have you tried any temp agencies? I got a fine temp job a while back that paid quite well (UPS in peak season).

Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 03-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,299 Times in 12,322 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. It's good that you are documenting your job searches, and definitely continue. Ask your PO for help finding a job too.

Your PO holds the key to filing a probation/parole violation, or not, so they will be the ones to decide if you are doing enough looking for a job. The half way house I was in had minimum job search requirements, X number of contacts a day, and X number of applications. Ask your PO what they expect you to do.

Also ask if there are training options that will satisfy the job requirement while you are enrolled in classes. The Salvation Army offers job training specifically for recent prison/jail releasees and I bet there are others too.

If your PO doesn't feel that you are trying hard enough, the judge who would have to be the one to send you back might. That's why you should document everything you do, even inquiries that don't result in submitting an actual application. (I spoke to ?, the owner, etc. on ? and was told they are not hiring, but he took my information for when an opening occurs).

Finding a job is one of the most difficult hurdles for ex-cons to overcome, but your PO knows that too.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 PM

Thanked 1,487 Times in 749 Posts

You should check your sentencing order to see what the terms of your supervised release are. WHile much older than you, my husband's say if he doesn't get a job, then he has to do community service. I would think if you're documenting everything in terms of your efforts to get a job, that should mean something. There are definitely resources out there that you can look up in terms of companies that will hire felons. Just google it and you should be able to find the various websites. Don't give up, you will eventually land on your feet.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-12-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:45 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 652 Posts

I agree with the others, as long as you can prove you're trying, probation will usually work with you. My son's PO has been no help in the job search. Just says go to the Dept of Labor & search. In GA they have a TopStep program through the Dept of Labor for formerly incarcerated people. That was no help either. It was 1 guy who split his time between that & regular job duties.
You might try reaching out to some advocacy groups as well as volunteering. Sometimes the nonprofits will be a bit more understanding & offer employment if they can. I know that Goodwill has career centers & they help people with job training & assistance unless you have a sex offense conviction. https://www.goodwillsc.org/find-work
Have you tried going through the state's SCWorks program? Here is a link to their statewide jobfair list. https://www.dew.sc.gov/individuals/f...-hiring-events
Here is a link to the main site. You might reach out there for any training programs or job help. https://www.scworks.org/
Also try looking on Craigslist under Gigs. There are some legit jobs there that might not do background checks. Do you have any skills? Being 18 is good because you can learn a skill or trade that might help.

Don't give up & let us know how it goes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-17-2019), miamac (03-17-2019), rks1170 (03-17-2019)